Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    No, your brain has supermegaunbrokenfulabilitinesses.
    Love it! A 33 letter word! New horizons!

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Love it! A 33 letter word! New horizons!
      I left out "Ultrahyper" as a prefix, so now you have 43 letters. Stephen, stop all development on the 6x6 game. Go directly to the 7x7!

Comment

I left out "Ultrahyper" as a prefix, so now you have 43 letters. Stephen, stop all development on the 6x6 game. Go directly to the 7x7!
        6x6 & 7x7 games? Does that mean the 4x4 or 5x5 games will be removed?

Ultahyper would be 2 words for me.

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

6x6 & 7x7 games? Does that mean the 4x4 or 5x5 games will be removed?

Ultahyper would be 2 words for me.
          I was being too cute; I don't issue orders to the administrator. I sure would enjoy having a larger game board option, though. If one did come out, there'd be no reason to discontinue any existing game.
          As far as two separate words, I remember very distinctly when I was young that "today" was spelled "to-day" and "tomorrow" was "to-morrow" and a lot of the words we now see run together were separate and distinct words. "Whenever" was always "when ever", for example. I expect the trend to agglutination will continue.

Comment

• I spotted SUGGESTION on a board. It's so common I knew it'd be worth next to nothing ... then I saw -ized. Yup, that's right; I played SUGGESTIONIZED for 29 pts/2 records. That elicited an involuntary chortle when it was accepted. I thought, "Come on now. Is that a total WordTwist fabrication?!" It's in Collin's dictionary defined as "to treat or influence by the power of suggestion." Just shows to go (a spoonerism I'm fond of) you just never know...

Edit: I forgot til now to include my recent first time find of TRACTORATIONS for 24 pts. I tried it on a board w not much else available. I wondered if I had unwittingly performed scores of tractorations while tilling fields etc. in my 7 year forced career as a teen on the family farm. Might it be a term to glamorize the drudgery of going in circles for hours at a time? Not the case though; instead it's "archaic. : a technique of therapy first used about 1796 by Elisha Perkins of Norwich, Connecticut, consisting in the operation of drawing over an affected part the points of two small rods of different metals, and held to be helpful in local inflammation or pains (as of rheumatism)." I guess if that didn't work for you back then there was always the often used bleeding to cure you.
            Last edited by lalatan; 10-21-2021, 06:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              I spotted SUGGESTION on a board. It's so common I knew it'd be worth next to nothing ... then I saw -ized. Yup, that's right; I played SUGGESTIONIZED for 29 pts/2 records. That elicited an involuntary chortle when it was accepted. I thought, "Come on now. Is that a total WordTwist fabrication?!" It's in Collin's dictionary defined as "to treat or influence by the power of suggestion." Just shows to go (a spoonerism I'm fond of) you just never know...

Edit: I forgot til now to include my recent first time find of TRACTORATIONS for 24 pts. I tried it on a board w not much else available. I wondered if I had unwittingly performed scores of tractorations while tilling fields etc. in my 7 year forced career as a teen on the family farm. Might it be a term to glamorize the drudgery of going in circles for hours at a time? Not the case though; instead it's "archaic. : a technique of therapy first used about 1796 by Elisha Perkins of Norwich, Connecticut, consisting in the operation of drawing over an affected part the points of two small rods of different metals, and held to be helpful in local inflammation or pains (as of rheumatism)." I guess if that didn't work for you back then there was always the often used bleeding to cure you.
              I'm so glad medicinal practices have improved! Except for taking Cocaine to improve 'hysteria' in women (which now seems absolutely ridiculous), pharmacology has much improved since the early 20th century.

Comment

No, your brain has supermegaunbrokenfulabilitinesses.
                Thank you, bwt1213. I have actually taped that to my computer monitor at work for the next time I think I've broken the ol' gray matter. Just being able to parse my way through that word reminds me that I am not hopeless!

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post

...Back to WordTwist, I recently discovered a new part of speech for a word I've long known. My new 4x4 board popped up, and I honed in on the "-ing" in the corner, but I was having a dreadful time with it. I thought maybe it was one of those times when an "-ing" is not really an "-ing." I was looking at the other mess of letters, and I thought, "honestly, that looks like SEPULCHRE. But alas, no "e." So I thought, "Well, this is WordTwist," and I typed in SEPULCHRING. Bing! 11 letters, and...10 points. You just never know around here.
                  currerbell, I don't if you'll see this or not as you are stroaming about but I felt behooved (1 of my long-time fave words since the obvious meaning would be to have hooves) to post this. While surveying this barren desert devoid of any high scoring words today I saw that SEPULCHRING had made its 5x5 debut (as far as I know anyway)!

10 PTS SEPULCHRING.jpg
                  Last edited by lalatan; 11-14-2021, 02:43 PM.

Comment

currerbell, I don't if you'll see this or not as you are stroaming about but I felt behooved (1 of my long-time fave words since the obvious meaning would be to have hooves) to post this. While surveying this barren desert devoid of any high scoring words today I saw that SEPULCHRING had made its 5x5 debut (as far as I know anyway)!

10 PTS SEPULCHRING.jpg
                    So SEPULCHRING is a synonym for burying.

BEHOOVE to be necessary & proper. Course I like lalatan's definition too. It would be nice to be hooved. LOL

Comment

• Apparently it behooves ruminants to be hooved. I always liked the sound of BESMIRCHED. Some other be- words I enjoyed learning a few years ago: BESNOWED (covered with snow), BENIGHTED (overwhelmed by circumstances) and BEKNIGHTED (hailed for doing good or some service). I can't recall for sure but I think WordTwist also accepted BEFOOZLED. FOOZLED means bungled, especially a golf stroke.

Comment

Apparently it behooves ruminants to be hooved. I always liked the sound of BESMIRCHED. Some other be- words I enjoyed learning a few years ago: BESNOWED (covered with snow), BENIGHTED (overwhelmed by circumstances) and BEKNIGHTED (hailed for doing good or some service). I can't recall for sure but I think WordTwist also accepted BEFOOZLED. FOOZLED means bungled, especially a golf stroke.
                        Oh! I do love BEFOOZLED! I'm going to use that as much as possible in conversation. I also like collecting the little words too like NERK, and BINT, and SNEB, SNEAP, and SNIG.

Comment

Apparently it behooves ruminants to be hooved. I always liked the sound of BESMIRCHED. Some other be- words I enjoyed learning a few years ago: BESNOWED (covered with snow), BENIGHTED (overwhelmed by circumstances) and BEKNIGHTED (hailed for doing good or some service). I can't recall for sure but I think WordTwist also accepted BEFOOZLED. FOOZLED means bungled, especially a golf stroke.
                          Originally posted by mdyak View Post

Oh! I do love BEFOOZLED! I'm going to use that as much as possible in conversation. I also like collecting the little words too like NERK, and BINT, and SNEB, SNEAP, and SNIG.
                          I second that. I too like all the be- & little words lalatan & mdyak!

Comment

10 PTS SEPULCHRING.jpg
                            I have to say that I have not been enjoying much stroaming lately, either at work or at home. I went almost 48 hours without playing last week, which is really quite unlike me. I'm also very behind in reading the boards.

Interesting that SEUPLCHRING made it to the 4x4 boards before the 5x5 boards. And that it's gotten onto two boards. Well, when you are a compelling (and creepy) word, you just get around, I guess.

Comment

• Sorry to hear your stroaming and WordTwist time have been drastically cut. Hopefully things will change for you soon. I don't know if SEPULCHRING is all that creepy. Once it's all done, things are all sealed up and forgotten. A word such as HAGFISHLIKENESSES would be more so IMHO.
                              Last edited by lalatan; 11-20-2021, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• Okay here's a new one I had never heard of ...

Quatch = to squat or be flat

So @ the gym I'll be doing some Quatches to strengthen my thighs ... LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X