No announcement yet.

Words to add to the dictionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did this word win when it is not in the dictionary? UNQUINQUAGINTILLIARD (42)

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
      ecmnesia.

Doesn't seem to be currently accepted, but coming to a theater near you soon.

A form of amnesia where a patient can remember older events but not recent ones.

Now...

where was I?
      That is a symptom of Alzheimer's disease, people can remember the past but their short term memory doesn't exist (any longer).

Comment

I was surprised that PUNKED wasn't accepted. But looking online I see that many dictionaries don't have PUNK as a verb; I guess its meaning as PRANK or TRICK is too new.

Comment

Originally posted by Nylimb View Post
          I was surprised that PUNKED wasn't accepted. But looking online I see that many dictionaries don't have PUNK as a verb; I guess its meaning as PRANK or TRICK is too new.
          I think punked is considered slang maybe that's why it isn't accepted.

Comment

Another headscratcher. Counterobjecting is accepted, but not counterobject. Neither of which is in lexic.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.17.12 AM.png
            Objecting, reobject and reobjecting were accepted.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.17.35 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 8.17.59 AM.png

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I think punked is considered slang maybe that's why it isn't accepted.
              "Punked" in the sense of "being made a punk of" has been a verb and was slang when I was a kid in the 50s, and I saw its use in print in stories written even before that. Lots of other slang terms are accepted and in dictionaries despite being newer and less-used.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

"Punked" in the sense of "being made a punk of" has been a verb and was slang when I was a kid in the 50s, and I saw its use in print in stories written even before that. Lots of other slang terms are accepted and in dictionaries despite being newer and less-used.
                Oh, I didn't know that.

I don't use the term, but I remember there used to be a TV show called 'Punked' where people would play practical jokes on other people (for humor or comedy). So being 'punked' meant someone played this practical joke upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Oh, I didn't know that.

I don't use the term, but I remember there used to be a TV show called 'Punked' where people would play practical jokes on other people (for humor or comedy). So being 'punked' meant someone played this practical joke upon you.
                  I didn't know it either. The first time I heard the term was from that TV show. I don't think I ever watched it, but I did learn what the word meant.

Comment

I looked it up, and "punk" and "punked" and "to punk" have been around with various definitions since the 1600s. Starting in the 30s, it meant "to force someone or coerce someone into an involuntary homosexual relationship", usually in a prison. That use was either as a noun or a verb -- a "punk" was the person, and "to be punked" was to be made into that person (see "The Sawshank Redemption"). Before that, it meant someone who was an effeminate or weak male, so that use was generally as a noun. The really old definitions were "a prostitute". A continuing meaning from the very earliest times (only as a noun) is for material that was used to start a fire, usually wood that had been attacked by a fungus to make it very light and porous. The current use of the word is far more innocuous than the meaning I remember from reading stories set in the 30s and 40s. The old definitions are very dark and repulsive and I hope such things no longer happen, but I'm old enough to be cynical.

Comment

nustle is a word https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/nustle

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                        ...please check to see if a word is on https://www.lexic.us/ first before you place it here. We've already updated lexic.us with the updated word list we plan to lean most heavily on for the Wordtwist update, so if you see the word currently on that dictionary site, it is absolutely already on the to-be-added list and should not be repeated here.
                        Thanks!
                        Xeve, nustle is in lexis.us so it will be added later this year.

Comment

I looked it up, and "punk" and "punked" and "to punk" have been around with various definitions since the 1600s. Starting in the 30s, it meant "to force someone or coerce someone into an involuntary homosexual relationship", usually in a prison. That use was either as a noun or a verb -- a "punk" was the person, and "to be punked" was to be made into that person (see "The Sawshank Redemption"). Before that, it meant someone who was an effeminate or weak male, so that use was generally as a noun. The really old definitions were "a prostitute". A continuing meaning from the very earliest times (only as a noun) is for material that was used to start a fire, usually wood that had been attacked by a fungus to make it very light and porous. The current use of the word is far more innocuous than the meaning I remember from reading stories set in the 30s and 40s. The old definitions are very dark and repulsive and I hope such things no longer happen, but I'm old enough to be cynical.
                          Wow, the history of PUNK or PUNKED sounds horrible. I saw Shawshank Redemption, great film, one of Stephen King's best (IMO). I guess its like fashion, what was once unique for the time is recycled & brought back in a new & improved format. I think I like to new definition much better.

Comment

teint, teints, trion, trions aren't in Lexic, but maybe should be added to the new word base. They didn't play on this board.

Screen Shot 2022-05-11 at 9.21.25 AM.png

Comment

"Erebus" didn't play. Not sure what the rules are on proper nouns. Seems that some count, some don't. I've seen "erebus" used as merely a place of deepest darkness, without being a proper name, anymore than "tree" would be. Just an inexplicable place of darkness where your greatest fears could be hiding.

"Sexter" is not accepted. Nor is it in Lexic, but you see it used frequently enough these days to be included. Sext and sexting are included.

Time ran out before I could type "erbium." Does anyone know if it's accepted now? It's in Lexic, so...

But, for the moment it seems chemical terms are hit or miss.

(Think I need a nap. Stayed up waaaaay toooo late binge-watching Dexter New Blood. Can't stay awake to type.)

Comment

Here's a weird one.

Noticed that Jones had gotten a 16 letter/30 point word, so... just in case... keep an eye out.

Saw "transformers"... after seeing "self", and thought...why not?

And it worked!!!!

Thank you Jones for blazing the trail to an unknown.

Never saw the word before. It's not in Lexic. But works here.

And, still don't know if it's in reference to some part for washer/dryers or self-transformation.

Anyways, the board's now theoretically retired, so in the coming months, if you see "transformers" you might look for the "self."

Comment

Working...
                                X