Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun stuff -- word related or not, ramblings, junk, whatever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have some things that I felt would fit into a lot of other forum headings but basically are just shout outs to the people who have given me such JOY from reading their forum posts.

Sooooooo! in no particular order......

Naboka your posts are positively shinning with wisdom, philosophical understanding, and artistry. You leave me in awe!

2cute your curiosity about so many different forum topics and the wonderful tenor and tones of your posts are not 2cute but just right!

bwt1213 your willingness to share you knowledge and help bring to my mind some of the best teachers I've had.

floppers your humor and wit have had me laughing out loud sooo many times!

lalatan and Spike1007 I have learned so much from both of you.

To all of my fellow wordtwisters you are the best, brightest, most versatile and kind group of people.

P.S. Cheers (based on the games' preponderance of archaic Scottish words it should be with really good Islay) to all the players with a sesquipedalianistic bent!

Comment

Originally posted by folkslinger View Post

I have some things that I felt would fit into a lot of other forum headings but basically are just shout outs to the people who have given me such JOY from reading their forum posts.

Sooooooo! in no particular order......

Naboka your posts are positively shinning with wisdom, philosophical understanding, and artistry. You leave me in awe!

2cute your curiosity about so many different forum topics and the wonderful tenor and tones of your posts are not 2cute but just right!

bwt1213 your willingness to share you knowledge and help bring to my mind some of the best teachers I've had.

floppers your humor and wit have had me laughing out loud sooo many times!

To all of my fellow wordtwisters you are the best, brightest, most versatile and kind group of people.

P.S. Cheers (based on the games' preponderance of archaic Scottish words it should be with really good Islay) to all the players with a sesquipedalianistic bent!

Thanks folkslinger!

Comment

Very kind of you folkslinger.

Sometimes, the theater seems empty and the words merely fall to vacant seats.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Sometimes, the theater seems empty and the words merely fall to vacant seats.
          In that case yell "Fire".

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post

In that case yell "Fire".
            To the same effect.

Like silent raindrops fell

and echoed in the wells

of silence

Comment

I once yelled, "Movie!" in a crowded fire house.

Comment

This probably belongs in another thread,

but...

When you want to play better chess, you usually end up studying the games of grandmasters.

This board by Megaword exemplifies why studying his games has value.

Most of the time, we don't even get to see the played games of the super elite players. They tend to play for highest average score, so their played games go immediately to the recycle bin. (Have you ever seen a game played by ThunderRock?)

Anyways, not everyone is going to run into this game so, for the benefit of those interested. All those unusual words--

free for the learning.

mega .png
                ps: punjabi and punjabis might also count. never tried them. might be proper nouns.
                Last edited by Naboka; 07-23-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

Seems like MegaWord has turned on the jets again: 4x4 avgs of 929 pts/game (214 pts/game higher than ThunderRock), 181 words/game in 895 games played this month. Beyond amazing!!

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                    Seems like MegaWord has turned on the jets again: 4x4 avgs of 929 pts/game (214 pts/game higher than ThunderRock), 181 words/game in 895 games played this month. Beyond amazing!!
                    You ain't wrong. Holy smokes!

After noticing his increased playing, and out of curiosity about how he compared to a couple of players lately who seemed...

thought I'd track how he did over the course of an abundance of games played quickly. That would provide an accurate current sample.

Started with him having played 173 games with 56,389 highest scores. He's at 895 games with 57,095 highestl scores.

That's 706 highest scores out of 722 games played! That's crazy.

I suppose the obvious question is why not 722?

You know he's playing against the heavyweights and light heavyweights who have managed to get in the 500's without the game getting recycled at 600. He can't be hitting games played by ThunderRock or probably even Estive. So, at best, he's playing games that even the very, very good players failed to score over 600--but not encountering the most elitely played games.

And still averaging 929 pts!

And with that high of an average, he's not playing the 200, 300 point games. And probably very few 400 pointers.

So, like to see the 16 games he didn't score the highest. WTF?

(And maybe my suspicious mind misjudged a couple of new players, because knowing how good he is, that was the standard of comparison. ) Now, a 93% win ratio seems more feasible.

ps: he must be wreaking havoc on the highest score records of many very good players.

Comment

I had played strap on a 4x4 board coming right to left... and couldn't help but notice an available -on reading left to right.... so I naturally tried it. Considering that the dictionary used by Wordtwist seems fairly inclusive, I was surprised that it didn't score. I checked the dictionary afterwards, and it has it listed only as an alternative spelling of the same word with a dash. I guess sets of letters that form only an alternative spelling and nothing else valid don't count? Anyway, I had a laugh at finding it and typing it in.

(Edited the screen capture in case it would otherwise be a problem)

Capture for wordtwist forum.PNG

Comment

from Folkslinger: I would like to second/third these statements:

I sometimes think that what wordtwisters have in common, is a generosity of the best kind of weirdness.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
                          from Folkslinger: I would like to second/third these statements:

I sometimes think that what wordtwisters have in common, is a generosity of the best kind of weirdness.
                          This compliment I received is probably the second best I have ever had in my life.
                          The first is still the response from my wife, when I proposed via mail. She said "yes". I guess I could write, back then.

Comment

Dear bwt1213,

I am writing in regard to the above revelation.

I wish to enquire as to why you proposed to (the now) Mrs. bwt1213, via correspondence? The how might be a lovely thing to know, too!

Yours sincerely,
                            Floppers.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
                              Dear bwt1213,

I am writing in regard to the above revelation.

I wish to enquire as to why you proposed to (the now) Mrs. bwt1213, via correspondence? The how might be a lovely thing to know, too!

Yours sincerely,
                              Floppers.
                              I was drafted into the Army and realized pretty quickly that I was going to be gone for two years, during which all manner of things might happen (this being during Vietnam, and she was beautiful -- still is, but older -- and perhaps someone else would see that beauty and charm her from me) and I realized that I was never going to meet her equal again. I explained all this, apparently well enough to elicit her answer.

I met her in either January or February of 1966, was drafted in May, proposed in June, and we were married on August 6th of 1966, while on leave after Basic Training. If we live a few more weeks, we will have been married for 56 years. Funny coincidence: our next-door neighbor to the north of us was born the day of our marriage. So she will celebrate her 56th birthday on the day we celebrate our 56th anniversary. She owns a small restaurant, and we plan to go there for a meal and a toast to us all.

Comment

There is something very poetic about that, and beautiful never needs to be qualified. On the 6th, add in a toast from me.

Comment

Working...
                                X