Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fun stuff -- word related or not, ramblings, junk, whatever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried to send a private message but got this

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.18.35 PM.png

haven't figured out how to fix this. Tried checking the box for private messages, but still got this message.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
      Tried to send a private message but got this

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 10.18.35 PM.png

haven't figured out how to fix this. Tried checking the box for private messages, but still got this message.

Yep, I've gotten that too. I just ignored it as when I contacted admin it didn't change. I just chatted via this section instead.

For while now periodically I get this strange message ...

WT weirdness p4 Notifications I can't view 05.21.22.png
      When I click a link from my notifications. Hello, If I'm not allowed to view it why are you sending me the link? Duh.

and this goodie ...

WT weirdness pt1 05.22.png
      You & minus one others (-1 others) posted to my subscription. Hmm ... Minus one, does that mean someone (or a few people) deleted their post(s)?

Comment

• Anyone else ever completely misread words?

I saw rebit and rebite so thought de-bit, completely not realizing debit was certainly not some form of having taken away a bite.

Damned, playing this game is sometimes hilarious.

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.23.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.23.50 AM.png
        Attached Files

Comment

• I'm writing this while running WordTwist within the Vivaldi browser on Linux Mint. I really like the browser and recommend it; the learning curve is relatively shallow and it has some nice features. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it and can warn me of any gotchas. The things I like -- I can watch Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, and every blasted thing I can find and with no errors at all -- except for Pluto. No sound on Pluto. If I try to watch Peacock on Firefox, I get an error message basically telling me "not for Linux, pal". But on Vivaldi, no problems even though I'm still running Linux. And Vivaldi has an ad-blocker built in. Had to turn it off to watch Paramount+, which is the ad-free version. Except they slip in an ad for their other shows at the start of yours, and Vivaldi blocked it, which Paramount+ didn't like. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux and it's freeware.

Comment

• They choose lovely names for these things, huh?

Comment

• They are much better at that than they used to be. Vivaldi is a Norwegian company, too, and the name ought to have wide appeal simply because almost everyone can remember The Four Seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                I'm writing this while running WordTwist within the Vivaldi browser on Linux Mint. I really like the browser and recommend it; the learning curve is relatively shallow and it has some nice features. I'm wondering if anyone else has tried it and can warn me of any gotchas. The things I like -- I can watch Disney+, Paramount+, Peacock Premium, and every blasted thing I can find and with no errors at all -- except for Pluto. No sound on Pluto. If I try to watch Peacock on Firefox, I get an error message basically telling me "not for Linux, pal". But on Vivaldi, no problems even though I'm still running Linux. And Vivaldi has an ad-blocker built in. Had to turn it off to watch Paramount+, which is the ad-free version. Except they slip in an ad for their other shows at the start of yours, and Vivaldi blocked it, which Paramount+ didn't like. It runs on Windows, Mac, and Linux and it's freeware.
                Ads they slip in before the start of other shows are called 'Promo's' & aren't considered the same as ads. Hallmark & Up are famous for that, they add them in right before a block of ads & then again @ the end. The annoying part for me is they show exactly the same promos & ads EVERY SINGLE TIME. There's no variety. If I must put up w/this (as I actually watch it on that old fashioned thing called a television) @ least mix them up. Ugh!

Comment

• Originally posted by 2cute View Post

Ads they slip in before the start of other shows are called 'Promo's' & aren't considered the same as ads. Hallmark & Up are famous for that, they add them in right before a block of ads & then again @ the end. The annoying part for me is they show exactly the same promos & ads EVERY SINGLE TIME. There's no variety. If I must put up w/this (as I actually watch it on that old fashioned thing called a television) @ least mix them up. Ugh!
                  The latest commercial message thing is on Philo. I pay $20 a month and I get more than 60 channels, and I watch enough of them that it's a good deal. When commercials come up, on most shows you can just hit one button and skip them. But on a few shows, the commercial time block isn't marked and you have to manually page through them -- irritating, but at least you CAN skip them. But they're wise to that, so they'll have a block of commercials and go back to the show. For fifteen seconds. Then there's another block of commercials. What they hope to achieve by that is beyond my pay grade, apparently. Perhaps they just want to get their viewers angry at ALL commercial messages. I will note that on shows with just reasonable numbers and lengths of commercials (as things were when the FCC limited the number and length of commercial messages per show), an hour show usually takes about 43 minutes. So if you watch an hour-length show on Tubi or Pluto or even Paramount + or Disney + and watch it with their commercials, it will take about 43 minutes. An hour show completely without any commercials on Disney + takes something like 38 minutes. The last time I watched a network show with commercials, I noted that some of the commercial breaks were longer than five minutes. That would make a show unwatchable, for me.

Comment

• So...has anyone else ever been to a Finnish Wife Carrying competition?

Comment

• Maybe once I get a Finnish wife...

Comment

• Originally posted by floppers View Post
                        So...has anyone else ever been to a Finnish Wife Carrying competition?
                        Ah -- Where I used to live (where I was born and raised) the most common ethnic background was Finnish. Pretty much everyone was Nordic. Some of those Finnish wives would not have made an easy carry. But if you married young, you may have been in luck; most Finnish women I knew were quite slim when young. Later, they were like everyone else, or perhaps a little more so. Must have been the good food. And it is good food.

Comment

• there are rules for the sport of Finnish Wife Carrying...you can google them...apparently there is a minimum weight requirement of 49 kg, a minimum age of 18, and it can be "your wife, the wife of a neighbour, or a wife acquired by alternative means". I heartily recommend attending this competition if you can, it is carried out over an obstacle course, and much Finnish hilarity ensues. I wonder what other interesting and possibly obscure cultural competitions await our consumption(?).

I recently attended the Thorpedale Potato Festival...a true cultural gem. There was a "Hessians on the Field" competition...with a first prize of $500 AUD (at least), both professional and amateur spud picking contests, a competition heaving bags of spuds to the top of ever increasing stacks of pallets, a 500mt spud sack carrying race (huge bag of spuds, and another $500 prize), photography competition (elementary, secondary, and open age divisions...lots of freshy planted potato field pictures), the local primary school sold potato sausages, and other stalls purveyed potatoes in all of their nuances, and in the midst of it all the local crop duster flew over the area, dropping hundreds of packets of potato crisps/chips, umm whatever they are called in your local tongue, to hundreds of children who stampeded to collect them...I'm not sure if this was Australian hilarity, or this is International...but hilarious, it was.

Comment

• I now know where the phrase "I never heard the like of it" came from. The "wife carrying contest" I had heard of, but the potato shenanigans are beyond the pale. I have a good imagination, so I could imagine the goings-on, and better dropping the packets of potato chips than the turkey-dropping contest in WKRP (Oh! The humanity! I swear I thought turkeys could fly!). But all the rest of it is just bonkers. And WKRP in Cincinnati was a comedy TV show, not an actual festival. Sounds like you Aussies know how to have fun.

Comment

• So I just had an ad completely ruin my game: I was not able to move it to go on with the game!!

image.png

Comment

• This happened at about 45 seconds left, and I tried and tried to move/ reduce the ad but no go.

Comment

Working...
                                X