No announcement yet.

utterly useless words

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just found this 4x4 gem: MOLLUSCOUSNESSES (30/16). When I clicked the link to lexis.us I fully expected it to not be listed and it was so. It defined MOLLUSCOUS as pertaining to mollusks. I think this word is so close to being utterly useless that it should be included in this thread. (Don't hate on me for bashing mollusks. I think they are tasty when cooked but won't win any fauna beauty pageants. ) Mollusks can be also be spelled as molluscs so watch for the k version.
    Last edited by lalatan; 01-29-2023, 03:40 PM.

Comment

I just got points for TOADLESS. I can't imagine that word gets used a lot.

Comment

Funny you should mention it.

Check out my avatar--that's a toad I caught in my back yard a few years ago and I made a pet out of him. He died, so I guess now I'm toadless

Comment

Not an utterly useless word.

Actually a fairly relevant word.

But, any port in the storm...when you're too lazy to find the relevant topic.

For anyone who has ever commented...

and been met with deafening silence.

Screen Shot 2023-02-08 at 11.56.22 AM.png

means keeping silent, loss of speech, mute.

You post and are met with...

Comment

Oooh I like that one! Good find. Never heard it before.

I've been waiting for a trigger to post and this seems apropos. Also I didn't want you to suffer the indignity of obmutescence. I found COULOURISTICALLY (edit: I misspelled it. It's actually COLOURISTICALLY.)... Doesn't really seem necessary although worth 28 pts. I looked it up in Collins Dict. They have a usage chart there. Seems it never was too popular. Its last hurrah was a usage of .01 back in 1988.

Edit: even obmutescence got a higher usage score of .02 in its heyday of 1802-1806. It scored .01 last century.
            Last edited by lalatan; 02-09-2023, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              Oooh I like that one! Good find. Never heard it before.

I've been waiting for a trigger to post and this seems apropos. Also I didn't want you to suffer the indignity of obmutescence. I found COULOURISTICALLY... Doesn't really seem necessary although worth 28 pts. I looked it up in Collins Dict. They have a usage chart there. Seems it never was too popular. Its last hurrah was a usage of .01 back in 1988.

Edit: even obmutescence got a higher usage score of .02 in its heyday of 1802-1806. It scored .01 last century.
              Thank you for being considerate.

My ego crumbles in the face of silence. It's like a glacier calving

th-1123190280.jpeg

I know I've played colouristically, not sure about the extra u. Seriously doubt I would have taken the chance. Can't be brave like you.

Will have to check out the usage chart. Fascinating.

Obmutescence was rated rare, while adding an s made it ultra-rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Thank you for being considerate.

My ego crumbles in the face of silence. It's like a glacier calving

th-1123190280.jpeg

I know I've played colouristically, not sure about the extra u. Seriously doubt I would have taken the chance.
                Lol, I misspelled it. It should've been COLOURISTICALLY. Only found out when I read your post. Sorry about that. Fortunately I spelled it right during the game or this topic wouldn't have made it to print. Loved your glacier having calves analogy.
                Last edited by lalatan; 02-09-2023, 12:12 PM.

Comment

After months of browsing the Collins scrabble dictionary, finally got a chance to use some q u-less words that have been elusive.

Screen Shot 2023-02-10 at 4.06.01 AM.png

Useless words for the most part.

Have taken to putting point values next to the words in that dictionary. May have some value to the obsessed.

Tips

and taps.

Or, like bored travelers on the boggle bus, the bench advertisement barely registers.

7e58aa5c655523260942db0b6582ffce_resize-768445683.jpeg

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post

Check out my avatar--that's a toad I caught in my back yard a few years ago and I made a pet out of him. He died, so I guess now I'm toadless
                    That's a toad? I thought those were blurry brown nails. LOL

Aww, you used your deceased pet toad as your avatar. Sorry for your loss.

Comment

Thanks—he was actually a great pet…….he wasn’t deceased when I set up my Wordtwist account and decided to use him as my avatar…….lived a good long life (7 years or so)……

Comment

After months of browsing the Collins scrabble dictionary, finally got a chance to use some q u-less words that have been elusive.

That was a stroll down memory lane for me. 30 years ago I regularly played Scrabble with my computer. I played all those words except QIN. Getting a Q tile was either a disaster or a boon, all depending on whether you ever got a U tile to go with it. Knowing the q w/o a u words was important so you could get rid of it.

Russ, I see you are pulling away big time from #2 on the total pts HoF. You have almost reached 70 million pts! Congrats! That is simply amazing.
                        Last edited by lalatan; 02-10-2023, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Thanks Lalatan, always nice to hear from you..........

Comment

I've actually seen qanats (grew up in the Middle East), so I wouldn't say the word is useless at all... (That said, Gulf Arab countries use the word "falaj" instead of "qanat.")
                            Last edited by DrPlacebo; 02-10-2023, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post

We live on a ridge 200 ft higher and about 1/4 mi straight line distance from the nearest water, yet every year tiny toadlets show up in the gardens. It is amazing to think that such a tiny creature, only 3/4" - 1" long, can make such a journey! We provide shelters for the toads yet rarely find any within them - plenty of other shelter nearby. Some of the toads are easily recognizable by their coloration and markings, and it is always a joy to recognize a returnee to the Pest Management Team. I'm sure that plenty of the toadlets fall prey to the snakes we also welcome. We create rock and wood piles scattered throughout the gardens so they have shelters also.

Comment

New subject: What in the world does tuberculosising mean??

Comment

Working...
                                X