No announcement yet.

Speed Records and "Cheating"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry, no offense intended. Just a reference to that AC/DC song, you know, "Dirty Deeds and the Dunderchief". I just assumed that is where you got your handle.
    Well ain't I the oversensitive prick!!! Of course that is where I got Dunderchief from, " Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap". Just a "senior moment", don't mind me!!!!

Comment

Man, all this time I thought it was a reference to “The Office!”
      I have never heard the “Dirty Deeds” lyric misinterpreted quite so creatively.

Comment

Interesting comments and thoughts. I think the most pertinent nd telling point is that no one can solve every puzzle (no matter it's length or if you've seen it before) and average 790 points + And similarly, no one can solve a puzzle in 30 seconds without cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by compuspud View Post
          Interesting comments and thoughts. I think the most pertinent nd telling point is that no one can solve every puzzle (no matter it's length or if you've seen it before) and average 790 points + And similarly, no one can solve a puzzle in 30 seconds without cheating.
          Several users (the only one I can think of is Svenska) are listed as having so many speed records, and they're so fast, that I assumed long ago that there's cheating going on. I'm no speed champion but I'm not that slow. That, with the astronomical monthly points that some people supposedly get -- ONE THOUSAND TIMES more than I do -- made me also long ago give up on trying for any site records. The only thing I "compete" for now is with myself, to get my success rate as close to 100% as possible.

Comment

I compete against myself, not against the other players... which leads me to not care whether others cheat... that's the easiest answer, I think... and my personal experience is that it IS possible to get 800 points for a puzzle

Comment

Yes, I often get 800. But not every time. And I haven't solved one more puzzle than I attempted, as one player has. No one can be that fast and that perfect every time

Comment

I've been a member for a long while but only recently began logging in every time I visit. I quit when I discovered there was no way that the competitive score thing was winnable. Back then, people were just re-taking puzzles by re-entering the code for that item. (That's more difficult now, but I think still doable.) You can always keep a separate registration for your hi-score games. Anyway, now I just play the games. If there were a real competition, I might visit more often.

Comment

Just to add my two cents about not being able to equal the average time or get higher scores:

When I first found this site, I liked doing Lasergrids a lot. I wanted a high score trophy, so I chose to do the largest and most difficult puzzles because it was the fastest way to accumulate points toward a monthly trophy. I got the highest score or the second (or so) score for most of the puzzles I played. However, if I play this game now, I am nowhere near the top scorer. I'm not sure what happened. Did I slow down, or do we have faster solvers, or maybe both?

There is a big difference in my rankings, to be honest, but I don't remember my scores so can't compare them. My cognitive abilities are not what they were, but I don't think that I've slowed down so much to make such a big difference.

The point is that perhaps there simply are people who are on this site who are just that much better than I am. I actually used to score higher than the original poster did on standardized tests. I also have a much higher IQ than the majority of people, or I did. Like I said, cognitive abilities and other stuff is decreasing, but I really don't think it's enough to account for the disparity I see between my older and newer rankings. I'm sure that, although I hate to admit it, there is someone (or some people) on here who is just simply faster.

Well, I say that, but that is in regards to number, sequence, logic type puzzles. My language ability has suffered greatly. I can hardly finish a Patchwords puzzle now, so
                  ADMIN,
                  if you are listening, please go read my question that I posted in the Patchwords forum. Please?

Comment

Your experience is similar to mine, except that my times are somewhat better than when I used to routinely have the best times and success rates, if not the most "points." In those days, it was "Aunt Marie" whose absurd times in some cases still have not been beaten. Now every so often we have a new player who breaks the records of previous "phenoms." Faster typists? Who knows? Who cares? I play it straight and have no desire use improper methods to achieve unrealistic times.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew John View Post
                      Curious to see my scores now that I'm playing as a "member" after playing as a non-member for a year. I've beaten the posted high score once, but wasn't a member and couldn't log it. I don't know about how one might mechanically cheat, but some low scores have seemed humanly impossible. Once, I knew the quote from the first word that I put together (I knew the author) and typed the whole thing in as fast as I could and was still 30 seconds behind the lowest time. I've encountered quotes twice, recognized and remember them and typed them in, and still not got close to high score...

I'm usually at about one half to one quarter of the average time, and often within 30 to 60 seconds of the best time. No college degrees, just widely-read, a bit manic, and a writer myself. (I've encountered 5 quotes from the books of friends in the last year, and sent 3 of them screenshots; all were quite chuffed)
                      Now this is the comment I would like Admin to answer.

Comment

I read all these comments, and am interested in this topic.
                        A year or two ago, I started a Forum chat because I was very skeptical of all these phenomenal solving times. I maintained that it wasn’t possible to solve these puzzles that rapidly without cheating in some way. For instance, a puzzle has an average solving time of 800 seconds. I will sometimes be able to solve it in 290 seconds, which I think is pretty good, and then I see that someone has solved it in 91 seconds! That someone is often named Svenska or Halfdutch. ( There are several others whose names don’t spring to mind. ). I believe many of these record scores are impossible to achieve without cheating.
                        When I started that thread, I received a lot of comments, most of which speculated on ways some people could be “gaming” the system (pun intended). However, there were also a number of condescending/snarky comments about how I must be a beginner, how I just needed to keep playing to improve my times, how it was just sour grapes, etc.
                        So I just let it go, and kept playing for my own amusement, noting many of the impossible record scores with additional amusement.
                        It’s gonna take a pretty compelling argument to convince me that one can do a puzzle with an average solving time of 1017 seconds in 42 seconds without cheating in some way!

Comment

Still waiting for the explanation of how cheating is taking place. Seen lots of accusations, but nothing else. Some of the times do seem incredible, but doing a puzzle several times, some folks apparently can solve it as quickly as they can type. Check the names of the folks with most of the ultra fast times and you will note that most have played on the site a lot.

Comment

Hi. High-score having "cheater" here. Some years ago, on the previous iteration of these forums, I went out of my way to record and share a video of myself solving a puzzle in record time in a good faith effort to try to show how it can work. Some folks still think I somehow fudged it. So I'm not going to bother trying to prove anything again. I'm just going to agree with hootmon - you see the same names not because we all really enjoy cheating, but because a lot of us play a lot (I'm assuming not just acrostics but other word puzzles), and that means we get good at the things that lead to record times - pattern recognition, trivia, vocabulary, remembering clues that are used repeatedly, etc. Some of us are also just fast typists (I average around 140 wpm).

For another example of this, you might look at some of the record puzzle-solvers that compete in crossword tournaments, like the ACPT - I routinely place in a competitive position in the at-home divisions of crossword tournaments, and there are still people WAY better than me. After a point, you just have to accept that this is a gift, or a talent, or a skill, or whatever that people have. Occam's razor: are people going out of their way to cheat on a small puzzle website with absolutely no tangible benefit to setting the high score? Or is it possible that people really are just that fast?

There are folks that have already posted something along these lines, and I'm going to underline it: be happy with your scores when you set a time you're proud of! Your accomplishment there is not lessened because of other people's times.

Comment

Well said, Rachaar. Hopefully this will answer many of the folks on this site who are amazed at some of the record times. I know I am in awe of many of them, and have set a few myself which were done using many of the techniques you have mentioned. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by hootmon View Post
                                Still waiting for the explanation of how cheating is taking place. Seen lots of accusations, but nothing else. Some of the times do seem incredible, but doing a puzzle several times, some folks apparently can solve it as quickly as they can type. Check the names of the folks with most of the ultra fast times and you will note that most have played on the site a lot.
                                I don't believe that anyone believes that all of the high scores (or even most) are due to people cheating. I tip my hat to those who can consistently score 800. I have hit 800 a few times, but no records for me. Some players are just good. But, there has been some mighty suspicious behavior reported, though.

For example, awhile back, somebody reported that they received a record score on a puzzle only to have the record broken minutes later by player "X". At the time, "X" was also the all time points leader. Obviously, a talented player. However, this is pretty strong evidence that "X" had the ability to call a particular puzzle by puzzle number (after seeing it posted on the records page). If a person had two accounts and the ability to call a specific puzzle on command, then the ability to solve a puzzle at leisure on one account then in record time on the other is possible. I am not sure this ever happened, but, at least at one point in time, it was possible. I find it interesting that "X" has not played a single puzzle since the migration earlier this year, same for a few other record-holding players. Not iron-clad proof of anything, but mighty suspicious, in my book.

I do believe that there are players out there that are just so much better than I am and that it takes a lot more than an amazingly fast solution time to make me think people are cheating. Some people are just good and I am not. It also makes sense that those who are truly good have multiple record scores, since if they are truly fast, they are fast on most every puzzle they play. I am not in that category, but I still enjoy the challenge.

I would also like to thank the Admin group for keeping this site running. I believe they have addressed some (or most? all?) of the issues that apparently had been exploited in the past.

I read somewhere that with a computer game, one cannot cheat; that is, if the programming allows you to play a certain way, that is acceptable. Exploiting loopholes in the programming is part of the game. If a particular loophole is not intended to be used, then the people who write the software are at fault, not the ones exploiting it.

Comment

Working...
                                X