Incomplete quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newspapers and publishers

Is it not a horrible thing that scoundrel-booksellers should grow rich here [in America] from publishing books, the authors of which do not reap one farthing from their issue, by scores of thousands? And that every vile, blackguard, and detestable newspaper,--so filthy and so bestial that no honest man would admit one into his house, for a water-closet doormat--should be able to publish those same writings, side by side, cheek by jowl, with the coarsest and obscene companions. . . .? I vow before High Heaven that my blood so boils at these enormities, that when I speak about them, I seem to grow twenty feet high, and to swell out in proportion. "Robbers that ye are"--I think to myself, when I get upon my legs--"Here goes!"

Comment

written by

Juliet John????

Comment

Juliet John

Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist: A Sourcebook
        by Juliet John
        Softcover, Routledge, ISBN 0415255309 (0-415-25530-9)

Cult Criminals: The Newgate Novels, 1830-1847
        by Juliet John, Edward Bulwer-Lytton, William Harrison Ainsworth
        Hardcover, Routledge, ISBN 0415143837 (0-415-14383-7)

Dickens's Villains: Melodrama, Character, Popular Culture
        by Juliet John
        Softcover, Oxford Univ Pr on Demand, ISBN 0199261377 (0-19-926137-7)

Rereading Victorian Fiction
        by Alice Jenkins, Juliet John
        Softcover, Macmillan Publishers Limited, ISBN 0333973852 (0-333-97385-2)

Rethinking Victorian Culture
        by Juliet John, Alice Jenkins
        Hardcover, Palgrave Macmillan, ISBN 0312226799 (0-312-22679-9)

Comment

I'm a bad boy

Thanks for all the info, maradnu. You make me feel like a slacker for not digging a little further on the net.

Comment

Bad boy?

Not necessarily.

I enjoy googling all manner of things, for all manner of reasons, or no reason at all. (As ferrym found out the one time.)

At one point, the Tampa paper had a quiz of sorts. They'd have a line from a song, book, or movie. I was one of a hand full of people who went over a year without missing any - and some were tough.

Comment

And another...

"A good place to visit, but a poor place to stay. "
              — Josh Billings

Should read:

"Solitude: A good place to visit, but a poor place to stay. "
              — Josh Billings

Comment

Yet another

The act of repeating erroneously the words of another. - Ambrose Bierce

should be:

Quoting: The act of repeating erroneously the words of another. - Ambrose Bierce

Comment

How about an incomplete attribution? "On the edge of destiny you must test your strength." was attributed to Billy. Billy who? Billy Bishop, if you do a simple web search.

Comment

Yet another

"The mortal sickness of a mind too unhappy to be kind."
                    — A. E. Houseman

D'oh!

Comment

Yet another

"Something made greater by ourselves and in turn that makes us greater. "
                      — Maya Angelou

D'oh!

Comment

Not incomplete ,but

We found nothing grand in the history of the Jews nor in the morals inculcated in the Pentateuch. I know of no other books that so fully teach the subjection and degradation of woman. Elizabeth Cady Stanton

What is the purpose of posting quotes that dump on anyone's religion? I really don't care whether it's Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, or whatever.

Comment

What if

it's the truth?

Then again, you can opt for showing no offensive quotes, however what's offensive to you doesn't seem to be offensive to me.

Rant on

Comment

I hate to admit...

HTML Code:
                            What is the purpose of posting quotes that dump on anyone's religion? I really don't care whether it's Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, or whatever.
                            While I would never "dump" on any of the religions you've mentioned, I wouldn't find it too offensive if there was a quote denouncing Satanism. Admittedly, this is perhaps not a major religion, but how about the Church of Scientology? They even have an IRS exemption these days. I have to admit I wouldn't find a quote denouncing Scientology offensive.

Comment

Incomplete quote

"A heroic figure... not wholly to blame for the religion that's been foisted on him. "

Ezra Pound was referring to Jesus Christ.

Not only do we miss the reference, it is also a dig at religion.

Comment

Hmmm....

Consider, if you will, the source. A purported anti-Semite who used to consort with Mussolini and spent time in Italy during World War II as a pro-Axis propagandist on the radio. After being brought up on treason charges in the US, he pleaded insanity and spent the next 12 years in an asylum.

Mark it 10-stars offensive if you will. I've certainly done this to a number of quotes. Nonetheless, in my preferences, I don't ask admin to filter out offensive quotes.

Comment

Working...
                                X