Incomplete quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And another

"A poor man who eats too much, as contradistinguished from a gourmand, who is a rich man who lives well."

This Elbert Hubbard quote should have been preceded by "Glutton."
    (Anyone ever see Monty Python's The Meaning of Life?)
    D'oh!

Comment

"It's only wafer thin."

Comment

Today I came across: "'Experience keeps a school but fools will learn at no other' -- Benjamin Franklin." When the "dear" before "school" is dropped it ceases to make sense.

(I know the quote is in there correctly, probably more than once. Presumably duplication is unavoidable given the volume.)

Comment

Half a name is better than none?

"To gain that which is worth having, it may be necessary to lose everything else." - Bernadette

Should be Bernadette Devlin

Comment

"Battering the gates of heaven with the storms of prayer. "
            — Alfred Lord Tennyson

Is a fragment of the poem St. Simeon Stylites. I would prefer:

...I will not cease to grasp the hope I hold
            Of saintdom, and to clamour, mourn and sob,
            Battering the gates of heaven with storms of prayer,
            Have mercy, Lord, and take away my sin.

Comment

"I hate the place like poison with a sincere hatred. "
              — Unattributed

Actually, F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

Here's another Ambrose Bierce definition that leaves out the term being defined: "A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing."

The word omitted is "Philosophy."

Comment

Still yet another

"They are the only honest hypocrites. Their life is a voluntary dream, a studied madness. The height of their ambition is to be beside themselves. Today kings, tomorrow beggars, it is only when they are themselves that they are nothing. Made up of mimic laughter and tears, passing from the extremes of joy or woe at the prompter's call, they wear the livery of other men's fortunes; their very thoughts are not their own.

This William Hazlitt quote should have been preceded by "actors."

D'oh!

Comment

Just a quick note - if you notice an incomplete quote, or a typo, or whatever, please feel free to use the new "Add a Comment" field to report it. I've got a new system set up that makes it much easier for me to fix these problems as they're reported. (Fixed a bunch in the past week thanks to user reports - thank you!)

Comment

Great new feature

Thanks, Stephen. Just to let you know, I'm really not at all peeved with the incomplete quotes, even though I started this thread with a little frowny face. We are well able to solve these quotes, even if we don't know the greater context. And (if you've been reading this thread) you can see that we're able to find the subject of most of these quotes through a quick internet search. I just added this topic to the forum for fun, and I'm not an obsessive-compulsive.

However, once in a while I do point out slight errors in the cryptos. e.g. "For ever" instead of "forever." Now I can tell you exactly what the problem is, instead of just giving it 10 stars.

Comment

Still yet another

"Its proper use is to amuse the idle, and relax the studious, and dilute the full meals of those who cannot use exercise, and will not use abstinence."

This Samuel Johnson quote should have been preceded by "tea."

D'oh!

Comment

Tea

The kind that comes with little cakes is my favorite!

Comment

Tea, with or without sympathy

Comment

Still yet another

"It is the only sensual pleasure without vice. "

This Samuel Johnson quote should have been preceded by "music."

Comment

Amerigo

"A people who are still, as it were, but in the gristle, and not yet hardened into the bone of manhood. "

The subject of this Edmund Burke quote was Americans.

Comment

Working...
                                X