X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kitten

Comment

Word!

"What an occupation! To sit and flay your fellow men and then offer their skins for sale and expect them to buy them."

This August Strindberg quote should have been preceded by "writing."

Comment

Another one...

It is the child of avarice, the brother of iniquity, and the father of mischief. - George Washington

He refers to gambling or gaming to be exact.

Comment

Lousy search engine. Grrr...

"It is for the wise people who delight in humanity, praise justice, despise their flatterers, and respect the truth."
          — Jeanne-Marie Roland

Can anyone find the whole of this quote? I spent ten minutes on a Google advanced search to no avail. Who will impress me?

Comment

Quotes.net and several other sites agree that it is the entire quote. I couldn't find a context. Sorry.

Comment

There's gotta be more

But what is IT???

Comment

Originally posted by bansaisequoia View Post
                "It is for the wise people who delight in humanity, praise justice, despise their flatterers, and respect the truth."
                — Jeanne-Marie Roland

Can anyone find the whole of this quote? I spent ten minutes on a Google advanced search to no avail. Who will impress me?

Liberty.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, Anatolia! You're too good to me!

(Notice the superfluous apostrophe on this Turkish CD?)

Comment

Thomas Carlyle

Little other than a red tape talking-machine, and unhappy bag of parliamentary eloquence. - Thomas Carlyle
                    (as it appears in the cryptogram)

And here is the beginning of that quote...

I perceive, with boundless alarm, that I shall have to set about discovering such,--I, since I am at the top of affairs, with all men looking to me. Alas, it is my new task in this New Era; and God knows, I too,
                    little other than a red tape talking-machine unhappy bag of parliamentary eloquence.

Comment

Another one...

Spiritual maturity is marked by spiritual knowledge being put into action ~
                      Edward Bedore

The full quote is:

The knowledge of Christ's love for us should cause us to love Him in such a way that it is demonstrated in our attitude, conduct, and commitment to serve God. Spiritual maturity is marked by spiritual knowledge being put into action

Comment

The Great Gatsby

The quote is given as:

One of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anticlimax ~ Unattributed

Describing Tom Buchanan, a Yale man and classmate of the narrator:"[He] had been one of the most powerful ends that ever played football at New Haven-a national figure in a way, one of those men who reach such an acute limited excellence at twenty-one that everything afterward savors of anticlimax,"
                        Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald

Comment

And another one...

"It resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated, often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them. " Sydney Smith

The "it" to which he refers is marriage.

Comment

To what was he referring?

An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak, and impossible to be silent. ~ Edmund Burke

I have solved this quote many, many times and always wondered to what he was referring.

SPEECH
                            ON
                            THE SIXTH ARTICLE OF CHARGE.
                            THIRD DAY: TUESDAY, MAY 5, 1789.
                            My Lords,--Agreeably to your Lordships' proclamation, which I have just heard, and the duty enjoined me by the House of Commons, I come forward to make good their charge of high crimes and misdemeanors against Warren Hastings, Esquire, late Governor-General of Bengal, and now a prisoner at your bar.
                            My Lords, since I had last the honor of standing in this place before your Lordships, An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak, and impossible to be silent.

Comment

Another one

The lightning flashes through my skull; mine eyeballs ache and ache; my whole beaten brain seems as beheaded, and rolling on some stunning ground. ~ Herman Melville

[Sudden, repeated flashes of lightning; the nine flames leap lengthwise
                              to thrice their previous height; Ahab, with the rest, closes his eyes,
                              his right hand pressed hard upon them.]

"I own thy speechless, placeless power; said I not so?
                              Nor was it wrung from me; nor do I now drop these links.
                              Thou canst blind; but I can then grope. Thou canst consume;
                              but I can then be ashes. Take the homage of these poor eyes,
                              and shutter-hands. I would not take it. The lightning
                              flashes through my skull; mine eyeballs ache and ache;
                              my whole beaten brain seems as beheaded, and rolling on some
                              stunning ground. Oh, oh! Yet blindfold, yet will I talk to thee.
                              Light though thou be, thou leapest out of darkness;
                              but I am darkness leaping out of light, leaping out of thee!

From Moby Dick

Comment

Working...
                              X