Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another missing attribution

"My play was a complete success. The audience was a failure."

Listed as unattributed, but is from "history's only full time, professional published epigrammatist" - Ashleigh Brilliant

Also known for "I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent" and "I have abandoned my search for truth and am now looking for a good fantasy".

Comment

Still yet another

Thanks for sharing that, maradnu. That last quote by Brilliant was brilliant. I think that I'm looking for that good fantasy, too. But here's another incomplete one by Ambrose Bierce: "A lowly virtue whereby mediocrity achieves a glorious success." It should have been preceded by "Perseverance."

D'oh!

Comment

Thanks, Stephen

Now that I've posted the above picture of Gregory Peck as Ambrose Bierce in the 1989 film "Old Gringo," who should appear in of one of this site's new quotes, but Carlos Fuentes, author of the novel, "Gringo Viejo." He makes me wish I could read Spanish because I'm sure I'm missing something in an English translation.

Thanks for all the great new quotes, Stephen!

Comment

Somebody badmouthing marriage not on Comedy Central

"We cannot do without it, and yet we disgrace and vilify the same. It may be compared to a cage, the birds without despair to get in, and those within despair to get out. "

This Michel Eyquem de Montaigne quote should have been preceded by "marriage."

D'oh!

Comment

Another non-attribution

Non violence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time; the need for mankind to overcome oppression and violence without resorting to oppression and violence.

Just looking at it, I thought it had to be either Gandhi or Martin Luther King.

It is a quote from King.

Comment

another incomplete quote

"The war existing between the senses and reason."

The whole quote is:

"The most powerful cause of error is the war existing between the senses and reason." -Blaise Pascal

Comment

and yet another

"a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."

"Golf is a day spent in a round of strenuous idleness."
                William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850) English poet
                "In ""The Golfer's Book of Wisdom,"" ed. by Criswell Freeman, 1995."
                =R Found in: one/246s014.htm

Makes much more sense when you have the full quote!

Comment

and another

"It resembles a pair of shears, so joined that they cannot be separated, often moving in opposite directions, yet always punishing anyone who comes between them. "

This Sydney Smith quote should also have been preceded by "marriage."

D'oh!

Comment

another

One who limits himself to his chosen mode of ignorance. -Elbert Hubbard

An expert is one who limits himself to his chosen mode of ignorance. -E. Hubbard

Comment

Oh, yeah. That guy.

Thanks for the addition to the thread, kat. I first heard of Elbert Hubbard about 10 years ago, when one of my hospitality industry managers posted an epigram from him as an inspirational quote in our restaurant. This manager was kind of a nut who paid money for astrological charts (pardon my empiricist leanings), so I figured he must have mistakenly misattributed a quote from L Ron Hubbard. Later I learned to my surprise that there really was a man named Elbert Hubbard.

An interesting thing to note about him is that he and his spouse met their demise as passengers aboard the ill-fated Lusitania in 1915.

Comment

Hubbards

Kin Hubbard is a lot different from L. Ron.

Wittier, to say the least.

The cryptoquotes in my paper have sayings by him with some regularity.

Comment

Another

"To myself, personally, it brings nothing but increasing drudgery and daily loss of friends. "
                          — Thomas Jefferson

This should have preceded by "No man will ever bring out of the Presidency the reputation which carries him into it."

D'oh!

Comment

Another

"A route of many roads leading from nowhere to nothing. "

This Ambrose Bierce quote should have been preceded by "philosophy."
                            (Or as Eugene O'Neill might have referred to it, "foolosophy.")

D'oh!

Comment

Seneca quote

"A punishment to some, to some a gift, and to many a favor." - Seneca

Should be preceded by "Death"

Comment

another incomplete quote

"The pseudonym of God when he did not want to sign." -Anatole France

The complete quote is....

"Chance is perhaps the pseudonym of God when He did not want to sign."

Comment

Working...
                                X