• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ick

I can't stand his quotes!

Comment

spanked by frank

good old Ben Franklin just whipped me good...

"Use no hurtful deceit - think innocently and justly and if you speak, speak accordingly."
      — Benjamin Franklin

This one took me over 2000 seconds to solve. I just couldn't get a start on it. I was using Ts and Ps in those double letter spots and just couldn't figure it out...I finally got "innocently" and the rest fell together.

Comment

Pope on a rope

"I am his Highness dog at Kew; pray tell me, sir, whose dog are you? "
        — Alexander Pope

What the hell is this?!? I swear this guy should have been hung!

Comment

I've seen worse

Actually, this quote didn't seem too bad to me, either. It's got an "I" in it, and I've actually heard of the Kew Gardens before. I think someone once showed me their boring vacation slides or something. Surfing the net, I also discovered that there's actually another Kew Gardens located in Queens, NYC. Small world.

LONDON

NEW YORK

Comment

As far as I'm concerned you can hang his damned dog too! And what's with the use of other languages in these quotes? In one quote the word for tomorrow was Spanish while every other word was English. Do these guys think they're being clever? It kept trying to make banana fit when I suddenly remembered an excerpt from one of my favorite cartoons - "Road to El Dorado" - when one of the characters ( I think it was Tulio ) said "row back to Spain like there's no mañana!" If it wasn't for my love of cartoons I think I'd still be going bananas over that one. Sheesh!

Comment

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Busyness

OK, finally found it. Here's the busyness quote, with only a 3.5% solve rate.

When we get too caught up in the busyness of the world we lose connection with one another - and ourselves. - Jack Kornfield

Remember, you've already used the I. There's another quote with this spelling somewhere. If anyone knows it, please post.

Comment

Cold hopes swarm like worms within our living clay. - Percy Shelley

6.3% solve rate, 330 second average. Laura's record, 43 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    I get really frustrated with Alexander Pope's archaic, backward grammatical style. It's like Yoda smoked a fattie and decided to write some poetry. If quotations are worthy of the annals of time I think they should at least be grammatically sound. Forgive me if I have offended any Pope fans but this guy just isn't my cup of tea at all.
                    "...Yoda smoked a fattie and wrote some poetry..." !! Thought I was going to wet myself!

Comment

(didn't wet myself)

Comment

The two non-English quotes

Dios tarda pero no olvida - God delays but doesn't forget.

Partir, c'est mourir un peu. (To leave is to die a little.)

Both listed as Proverbs

Comment

This one had four of us going last night for over an hour. Hurray to Pootie for finally cracking it!

"Know safety, no injury. No safety, know injury." Unattributed

Comment

obnoxiously difficult quotes

I guess I am just "under-read" but henry fielding always gets me with this one...took me over 6 minutes!

"Thwackum was for doing justice, and leaving mercy to Heaven. "
                            — Henry Fielding

Who is named Thwackum anyway!

Comment

Grrrr

who goes aborrowing goes asorrowing

Now I remember that quote being first entered as...
                              He who goes a'borrowing goes a'sorrowing.

Emphasis on the '

Here is the earliest entry I could find for that quote...
                              He that goeth a borowynge goeth a sorowynge.
                              [1545 R. Taverner tr. Erasmus' Adages (ed. 2) 46V]

Later it was changed to include a- and also a', then finally the punctuation was removed.

My beef here is if it was originally entered on the site with the ' in it. Why remove it?
                              Its a killer quote and its much more recognizeable with the ' than without it.
                              Please put the ' back in. The avg solve time for that quote is 228 seconds.
                              I dislike that quote.

Thanks Admin.

Comment

"The pearl is the queen of gems and the gem of queens." - Unattributed

4.9% solve rate, 283 second average.

Enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                                X