No announcement yet.

Obnoxiously difficult quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory; no cross, no crown. ~ William Penn
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

"France was a long despotism tempered by epigrams." Thomas Carlyle

Really hard! Or is it just me?

Comment

It is not just you, cleofish. Quotes with proper names of persons or places throw me every time. I'm especially bad at recognizing "England", to the chagrin of a few of my in-laws.
        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by cleofish View Post
          "France was a long despotism tempered by epigrams." Thomas Carlyle

Really hard! Or is it just me?
          Have you seen the pained expression on Carlyle's face in the photo they use of him on this site? I think this quote certainly explains a lot. Maybe he had just finished saying this quote when that picture was taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
            Have you seen the pained expression on Carlyle's face in the photo they use of him on this site? I think this quote certainly explains a lot. Maybe he had just finished saying this quote when that picture was taken.
            I've just seen it on another of his quotes and I see exactly what you mean.

Originally posted by montyb
            It is not just you, cleofish. Quotes with proper names of persons or places throw me every time. I'm especially bad at recognizing "England", to the chagrin of a few of my in-laws.
            Names are difficult. I am English but England and English can still catch me out. I've learned to recognise America, but that comes up quite often. France just looks too much like a normal word.

Comment

Originally posted by gryhnd51 View Post
              cogito ergo spud, I think therfore I yam. Graffito
              Gonzo leaps like a giraffe and grabs it. Jerry Coleman
              Weeping bride, laughing wife, laughing bride, weeping wife. German proverb
              dios tarda pero no olvida-god delays but doesn't forget. proverb
              He that winna be ruled by the rudder maun be ruled by the rock. proverb
              Veni, vidi, velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around. anonymous
              No pain, no palm; no thorns, no throne; no gall, no glory, no cross, no crown. wm penn

and last but not least:

sow much, reap much; sow little, reap little. proverb
              I just got that veni, vidi, velcro puzzle. it took me 8 minutes !

Comment

Wow, just evil

"I know by my own pot how the others boil." - Proverb

Success rate 11.2%
                Average Time 463 seconds
                Record 46 seconds by pajarito7

And the bottom end of the bell curve is 2,315 seconds.

You're welcome

Comment

Missing punctuation. And, grammar?!?

Unattributed - "Before you advise anyone Be yourself! reassess his character."

Comment

Good and Bad

"Here's to you, as good as you are, And here's to me, as bad as I am. But as good as you are, and as bad as I am, I am as good as you are, as bad as I am." ~ Scottish Proverb

Comment

Unattributed ~ "It is not how big you are, it's how big you play."

LOL...staring at puzzle....then....in walks my NFL BIG hubby : ) talking about last night's controversial call at Seattle Seahawks game......puzzle solved! God I LOVE him!!!!!!!!

Comment

too hard

"Cats conspire to keep us at arm's length." — Frank Perkins

I am glad I was playing in non-competitive mode for this one, because I needed hints.

Comment

Obnoxiously Difficult Quotes

"False enchantment can last a lifetime." W. H. Auden

Maybe this one is not so difficult for some, but I certainly set a slowest time record on it.

Comment

"News" word

Jon Stewart - “The country's twenty-four hour political pundit perpetual panic conflictinator did not cause our problems but its existence makes solving them that much harder."

Comment

"url's are the 800 numbers of the 1990's." by Chris Clark

Comment

"If pedestrians obstacle your path, tootle horn melodiously." Japanese directions for English-speaking drivers

I personally LOVE this one, despite its difficulty.

Comment

Working...
                                X