No announcement yet.

Obnoxiously difficult quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That proverb is a real bugbear to solve unless u've a wee bit o' the Scots yearself! The first time I solved it, it went immediately into my "list".

Comment

• That's impressive, Marnita. I don't believe I would have been able to solve that one!

Comment

• i've solved that one once--i recognized it by the word rudder and someone had just mentioned it in chat or forum--i still had to look it up, though. i'm sure i've NOT solved it plenty of times!

Comment

• I haven't had "rudder maun" in a long time. Had kind of hoped it had been removed. That one has been around for at least five years, probably more.

Comment

• "Who to himself is law, no law doth need." — Arthur Chapman

just looking at it, it doesn't look so difficult...but it was!

Comment

• Obnoxiously difficult quotes

I think the ones I struggle with the most are the ones with multiple short words of three and four letters rather than quotes with the longest words.

Comment

• There used to be a French proverb about the same time that the Scottish "rudder maun" one was floating around. "Partir c'est mourir un peu - to leave is to die a little." I hated that one, and it went immediately into my list once I got help from fellow solvers in solving it.

Comment

• it was in both french & english?!

Comment

• Yup, and there was one in Spanish then English. Then there's the "a'borrowing", which looks like French because of the apostrophe after the first letter. There are some nasty ones on this site.

Comment

• if jack's in love, he's no judge of jill's beauty. our old friend ben franklin

Comment

• revenue is vanity, margin is sanity, cash is king

Comment

• I know you're all 100 percenters. Except for some rare times, I usually give up, between three and four minutes. I'd never get most of those, if I spent hours.

Comment

• yeah...

i'm with you, abra, although i generally give it more time than that.
                            i'd never heard of those two quotes that mike posted, obviously because they are some of those (many) that i could never figure out.

Comment

• Exactly, wvwoman. I may have had them, but I would have given up. The longest I've ever kept 100% was nearly 2 days. Who knows, maybe it was one of those that sent me packing .

Comment

• "quackery has no friend like gullibility" proverb

Comment

Working...
                                X