X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanx!

Hi wvwoman!
    Thank you for your post.
    I too am glad to hear that someone else remembers that quote and also got stuck.
    Being that I couldn't solve it, I didn't get to see the percentage of players that were successful, so it's good to hear I wasn't the only one.
    Also, thanks for the compliment, but let's get real - you are at number 15 this month and I'm not even in the top 50!
    momof7

Comment

that's likely only because i have lots of spare time to spend doing what i like!

Comment

Mom, maybe it was the a'borrowing quote. "He who goes a'borrowing goes a'sorrowing" or something like that. Lily has it on her list.

Comment

That's probably it!

Thanks Lurker,
          That was probably the one.
          Hopefully I'll remember that if I ever come across it again.

Comment

i agree, i bet that's it--hopefully we'll remember to do a forum search when we get it again!

Comment

Momof7.
              I wonder if it wasn't an Irish name? O'Riley... or something along those lines? Don't remember seeing the quote yet, but will be watching for it.

Comment

Could be

Thanx for the thought.
                It could be, I just don't remember anything about the quote anymore,
                which makes it extremely difficult to help me with it of course.
                I feel like one of my kids asking for help with some assignment
                when they only have a very vague clue of what they are supposed to be doing.
                "We're supposed to read something, but I can't remember if the teacher gave us a story to read, or we're supposed to find our own book. Then we answer some questions, or write a summary, or maybe a character sketch...I'm not sure which. It's not due tomorrow, but maybe next week sometime. Can you help me?"

Comment

omg, 'mom', that's really funny! and i can relate--as probably many parents can.

Comment

So, after perusing (lurking) this forum, I headed back out to solve some more cryptos. I almost immediately came up against this quote:

"An excuse is worse than a lie, for an excuse is a lie, guarded" - Alexander Pope

An uncharacteristically simple quote from the quixotic man, but I saw his name and started freaking out. I was typing "o pie" this, "o pie" that. I think it took me a full five minutes to snap myself out of it. Chalk one up for intimidation...

Comment

• hahaha, i'm 'put off' by certain folks, too! oddly, one of them is ol' ben franklin--i think perhaps because one never knows when it'll be one with thees and thous and thys in it. and i know his are often some of the easiest...nevertheless, if i see his name first, it makes my mind lurch a little and throws me off.

Comment

• "A cat bitten once by a snake dreads even rope."
                        — Arab Proverb

Success Rate: 15.7%
                        Average Time: 241 seconds
                        Record Time: 53 seconds (pootie49)

I'm just glad I came in faster than the 1205 s. slowest time...

Comment

• i found it!

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
                          Mom, maybe it was the a'borrowing quote. "He who goes a'borrowing goes a'sorrowing" or something like that. Lily has it on her list.
                          i found the copy i had made of that 'apostrophied' puzzle, and thanks to you, was able to fill it in--yay! and thank you!

"he goes a'sorrowing who goes a'borrowing." --unattributed

now--tell me what it means!

Comment

• Probably that you shouldn't go into debt. Although, the first time I read it I thought it was about borrowing your neighbor's stuff.

Comment

• ohhhhhhh...

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
                              Probably that you shouldn't go into debt. Although, the first time I read it I thought it was about borrowing your neighbor's stuff.
                              aren't you the smarty?!
                              seriously. i often feel that i know just what things mean--then there are those times (like this one) when i'd probably NEVER get it without help.

anyone have another idea on this quote?

Comment

• Not a good one first thing in the morning

"A mob is the scum that rises upmost when the nation boils."
                                — John Dryden
                                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X