Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latin is considered a dead language

i found this online:
    An extinct language is a language that no longer has any speakers, especially if the language has no living descendants.
    In contrast, a dead language is "one that is no longer the native language of any community", even if it is still in use, like Latin.

Comment

• "Latin is a dead language that never died." I was emphasizing the "never died" part.

Kimmie

Comment

• Kimmie, thanks for downplaying my error, which I think struck an embarrassed nerve in me. I've done editorial work most of my life, and I have long felt a bit sheepish about never studying Latin and still claiming to be an expert on English syntax. Not that that embarrassment motivates me to go study Latin; I really don't want to. But I am humbled by the classics experts on this site, especially Marnita and CarpeLanam, and I always appreciate their perspective.

Comment

• Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
          i found this online:
          An extinct language is a language that no longer has any speakers, especially if the language has no living descendants.
          In contrast, a dead language is "one that is no longer the native language of any community", even if it is still in use, like Latin.
          wvwoman, thank you for digging that up! I've always wondered about that distinction.

Comment

• Originally posted by montyb View Post
            It's probably already on here, but I'm freaking mad!

"Dios tarda pero no olvida - God delays but doesn't forget. "
            — Proverb
            Is it still in there?!? Eons ago, the database had one in French, and I understand they removed it. Then again, the db and the site seemed much much smaller back then.

Sadly, even being a native Spanish speaker doesn´t help much, because by the time it comes up again, you're off-guard.

Comment

• Not only was it obnoxiously difficult, but I don't think it was even a very good translation. I have also seen it as, "Dios se retrasa pero no olvida."
              "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• "But there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green. "

- Gilbert Chesterton.

KENSAL .... KENSAL... KENSAL...

Comment

• help please!

(wasn't sure where to post this!)
                  can't get this quote to work--it says it's wrong--but even google says it's right--by carl reiner--"lust is easy. love is hard. life is most important." help appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
                    (wasn't sure where to post this!)
                    can't get this quote to work--it says it's wrong--but even google says it's right--by carl reiner--"lust is easy. love is hard. life is most important." help appreciated!
                    Try "Like is most important."

Comment

• bless you!!

Originally posted by Lacon View Post
                      Try "Like is most important."
                      15,143 seconds!!
                      thanks! i sure hope i remember this one if i ever get it again.
                      omg--i just looked through the comments and i solved it in may of 2016! my brain is obviously in more of a mush-like state than i had thought.
                      success rate 4.7%. record time is 28 seconds by lilyh.
                      thanks again--i appreciate the help!

Comment

• "If suffer we must, let's suffer on the heights." - Victor Hugo (10.8% completion rate)

I'm not even entirely sure what this means, managed to get "heights" from typing in "the" and went from there...

Comment

• "Hindsight bias makes surprises vanish."
                          -Daniel Kahneman

This took me just over 3 hours to figure out! But I'm trying for 100 percent this month so i wouldn't give up. More than 10,000 seconds---yikes!!!

Comment

• I've been stuck on this one for awhile now, can anyone help?
                            fu o paw'd lagbr yafvq fb'd lagbr yafvq lxcc

Comment

• I think it's

Originally posted by azhang941 View Post
                              I've been stuck on this one for awhile now, can anyone help?
                              fu o paw'd lagbr yafvq fb'd lagbr yafvq lxcc
                              If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well!

Cheers!

Comment

• "Lost in a gloom of uninspired research." - William Wordsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X