What inspired your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What inspired your name?

Based on some very interesting comments on another thread (mikehallbackhoe's "question for fast solvers"), it seems that a lot of us are intrigued by each other's screen names! For those who are willing to share, what inspired your choice of name?

Mine is a nickname given to me by my oldest son. He says that his friends, and especially his girlfriends, all adopt me as a second mom. He also laughs at how often I'm out somewhere, and I feel a little hand on my knee, and I look down to see someone else's child holding onto my leg I take this nickname as an affectionate compliment from my young-adult son, and it makes me happy...that's why I chose it!

mine is easy, my name is mike hall, and I have a backhoe business

Comment

Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?

Comment

The story of my username is pretty boring too. My first name is Anna, my middle name is Maria, and my last name begins with an H.

Comment

Mine is also rather simple. When I first joined, we were on our 2nd rescued greyhound. I look forward to having another one some day, but for now we are "parents" to a min-poodle named Drama! She's much smarter than any of our greys and her name is totally appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by fredsevent View Post
            Wow. My working hypothesis was correct for both of you. For me, I was setting up an email account and wanted it to be short so I tried fred (already taken), then fred7 (already taken), then fred7t -- not taken. However, when I registered at a site to play games, fred7t was taken. Sooooooo, I spelled it out - 7 became seven - and I started using fredsevent. Utterly boring story, eh?
            My hypothesis for you was way off! I read it as "fred's event"

Comment

What inspired your name?

Mine came from the fact that when I met my finance, I knew I had finally found the "Knight in Shining Armor" I was searching for, so immediately he became my Knight, and I became his damsel. The Knight's power gives him a capital K, and the damsel gets a small d. The number two is his favorite, and we're both into numerology where 22 is a higher power number than 2 - so... damsel22.

Comment

I too always thought and read Fred's Event.

The other's I kind of guessed at, and was right, so far.

Years ago, I read the poem Abra, and I was going to name our next dog Abra. At the last minute we called her Misty.

When we came on line, I used Abra as a user name at several sights.

Oh, and since there are questions about some players, I am female .

Comment

I played as a Guest for several months before deciding I was good enough to compete. Mostly, I wanted credit for breaking one of bansai's records. Lurker was because I was here for games, and had no intention of socializing. One day, the chat box was wondering if I was male or female, so I started to contribute (female, for those keeping score). The meaning behind the user name kind of went out the window after that.

My alter-ego, Lurker Smurf, is because I like the smurfs and thought it was a cute name. It has since become my online persona, even having its own email account and it is the name I use on my blog.

Comment

I always liked the name "Monty". Not because of Monty Python, but for the same reason the Pythons chose Monty; it sounded like the kind of mate you could have a pint with at any pub. The real Monty of the family is our beagle (see my profile page). I am therefore the "B" version. Hence, Montyb.

This is a fun thread.
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

the bluff is a real bluff

i used to live near Scottsbluff, Nebraska, and I always have a special place in my heart for that area. The name "bluffer" might sound like I am being facetious or insincere, but in fact I honestly love the land formation of the bluffs, formed by erosion. That is why my avatar is a little photo of one of them.

Comment

a gift to myself

Choosing a user name was an opportunity to give myself a name that no one else would give me. Perhaps that might be childish, but I like it. When I was a child, I never made it into the "Gifted and Talented" classes, but on this website, no one objects to calling me "Gifted" do you?

Comment

i'm curious about maradnu.

Comment

Originally posted by montyb View Post
                            I always liked the name "Monty". Not because of Monty Python, but for the same reason the Pythons chose Monty; it sounded like the kind of mate you could have a pint with at any pub. The real Monty of the family is our beagle (see my profile page). I am therefore the "B" version. Hence, Montyb.

This is a fun thread.
                            My dad's name was Monte (pronounced Monty), so it's an awesome name to me too! I always smile when I see your posts

Comment

Originally posted by Gifted View Post
                              Choosing a user name was an opportunity to give myself a name that no one else would give me. Perhaps that might be childish, but I like it. When I was a child, I never made it into the "Gifted and Talented" classes, but on this website, no one objects to calling me "Gifted" do you?
                              You're absolutely "Gifted!" What did those teachers know anyway?

Comment

Working...
                              X