No announcement yet.

What inspired your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chopstix, your avatar always makes me chuckle. Please don't be hesitant to join in the conversations.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

What inspired your name

Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!

Comment

Originally posted by skoogie2 View Post
        Cute story, wvwoman, about the doll's name! and, you're right, universalmom (and I enjoyed where your name came from! I always told my kids I was never going to be mother of the year, I guess, when I made unpopular decisions, and then that name stuck with them, moty, mother of the year) men would just tell their son-in-law to call them their name!
        moty, that's awesome! Right up there with POTUS, FLOTUS...MOTY

When I first got married, I wondered what on earth to call my mother-in-law too. She took the initiative by leaving a phone message saying "Hello, this is Mummy," which I loved and have used for upwards of 27 years!

Comment

Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
          i LOVED that tv show! haven't seen any reruns in several years---it's about time to watch them again--who should we talk to?!!
          They were playing on a secondary channel, ME-TV I think, but I looked and didn't see it right now. This is an off-the-air channel like 5.2, 7.2, 9.3, etc that you can get with an antenna if you are in an area with broadcast reception. The guides are available online by ZIP code. They'll be back.

Comment

As for my game name - I wish I had given it more thought before I chose it. I was relatively new at working the puzzles and I had already seen puzzleme. Just a take-off on his or hers. I enjoy almost everyone's comments on the solutions and try to add something occasionally if I can think of something pertinent or sometimes, just something silly. I started working the puzzles to try and keep my mind sharp (or get it sharp in the first place) in retirement.

Comment

Love reading the stories about names.

Barnabas, I love your name...I have a lot of mortician friends up home, and shall we say they are, um, not stuffy. (Crap, one of them I figured would be in jail or dead by his 21st birthday..you know, a bored rich kid type.)

My story isn't as exciting. Obviously, I love wine. My husband and I have been active in our local PBS major fundraiser, Winefeast, for nearly 20 years. I worked at a wine store, training a new guy the day our town was hit by an EF-5 tornado in May 2011. (PTSD and backbiting precluded me from returning to work there, but I still go in as a customer and sell wines with a technique that puts the rookies in there to shame!)

One year, when we went to California to explore wines, I found a visor with "Wine Chick" sequined on it. I bought it, wear it every year at Winefeast, and that's how I decided to use that here.

Comment

Ha! I guess my next screen name should be "scotchgirl"

Comment

I love to quilt. 'Nuf said.

Comment

My birthday is in October and the birthstone for October is an opal.

Comment

i'm also october--and just saw a comment from montyb today (on a quote about october) saying that he is, also.

Comment

You bet I am. And so is Jen of Jenandbrent.
                        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

oh, yeah...jenandbrent--one person or two?!

Comment

my favorite dictionary

I chose "AHD" because I love the American Heritage Dictionary. Its definitions give a depth of insight, and its etymological information about each word is thorough and accurate. I need this to counterbalance my habitual feeling of being "flummoxed"about words.

Comment

I'm glad I don't have to solve AHD quotes.

Comment

that's an interesting one! do you us the print or the online copy?
                                what does it say on your avatar? i can't make out the small print.
                                i love the word 'flummoxed'--i think i first heard it used years ago in nero wolfe mysteries, and have enjoyed using it since.

Comment

Working...
                                X