No announcement yet.

What inspired your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Born in the 50's, I loved watching the TV comedies of the 60's. I tried one TV comedy name which was taken. Oddcouple was my second attempt, this one successful. Obviously it's an homage to Jack Klugman and Tony Randall.
    David

Comment

i LOVED that tv show! haven't seen any reruns in several years---it's about time to watch them again--who should we talk to?!!

Comment

Netflix and/or Hulu. Stuff that isn't available on DVD is sometimes on YouTube. The episodes are off old VCR recordings and usually split in several pieces, but you do get to see the show - and very old commercials! Gotta love the internet!

Comment

I'm a person who likes to laugh at myself, and so my moniker is meant to be a humorous jab at me and my profession. I'm a mortician. Of all the errant preconceptions that people have about my line of work (and there are many), the preconceptions that are really the most "out there" are usually those regarding embalming. And so, in acknowledgment of the very funny things I've heard from folks about what they think I do in the embalming room, I chose to be a vampire, and because I remember runnning home from school in the 1960s just so I could catch the last 5 minutes of Dark Shadows I went with the name Barnabas.

Comment

i gotta say, barnabas, if there were a prize for this topic, you've won it!

Comment

I've said it before and I'll say it again, WV.... I love those bats!

Comment

Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
                i gotta say, barnabas, if there were a prize for this topic, you've won it!
                That was my first thought too - "Dude, you win!" Reading all these stories is REALLY fun

Comment

and you, universalmom, win for "most fun forum topic"!! i'm basing it on my opinion in my time here.

Comment

U-Mom, did you get the avatar thing figured out? What with this particular thread, I (and probably a few others) am curious as to what you selected for an avatar.

Comment

Well, I always wondered about Oddcouple, whether it was two people or one, and male, female, or possibly both if there were TWO. Now we know.

Barnabas, how interesting, and here's a third vote for you as the "winner".

Comment

that just reminded me that i've always wondered the same thing about jenandbrent!

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post
                          U-Mom, did you get the avatar thing figured out? What with this particular thread, I (and probably a few others) am curious as to what you selected for an avatar.
                          No, I'm still stumped! I'm about as tech-savvy as...well, as the reef triggerfish I selected Scuba and free-diving make me really happy, so I thought a sea creature was the right avatar for me. (That could be a fun thread - hobbies?)

Comment

what inspired your name?

I thought of something that went with my personality, Sometimes I act more crazy than my kids. I am a very outgoing person and I don't like to act my age. Next Monday is going to be my 49th birthday and I am going to try to tell everybody that is my birthday. I became an an American citizen(very proud) in 1997 but I was born in Mexico(or how I call it Mejico that's the Spanish pronunciation), That is why I put Loco on my name because of my Hispanic heritage which I am very proud. My kids agree with the name 100 percent. My real name es Omar

Comment

What a wonderful thread!!

Barnabas, I think I met you on vacation in Italy back a few years ago! If it wasn't you, it was certainly another mortician with a great sense of humor. He entertained all of us daily! And our dinners together are still a delightful remembrance! He bought the greatest metro-sexual Italian shoes in Venice...! I've always wondered if he wore them when he got back to the States.

U-Mom, I hope you manage to find a really great avatar. Pootie sent me the one that I use. We had pm'd a few x's about my having a rescued grey and she told me about her volunteering at an doggie adoption ctr in her free time. I've thought about changing it a few times, but I just can't do it. It always reminds me of her inspiring personality.

Fredsevent....jeez, but I was so wrong about your name! I thought you were FRED, and seventy!

Oddcouple....that was one of the funniest shows on TV! I'm so happy to know the context.

Comment

oh, man, i am lovin' this--you guys are such fun!

but listen, i'm still not clear on you, fredsevent--originally, i too had read yours as "fred's event"--and now, after reading what you wrote, i wondered if the "seven t" meant you're 70--but looking back, i realize that's not really what you said. so. where'd the "7" and then the "t" come from? (my poor brain needs more clues!)

Comment

Working...
                                X