Clear All

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
    — Unattributed

locodad on 2013-09-22 17:18:03
    it only tookme 47513 seconds and that is not even my record

abra on 2014-08-11 14:18:10
    You do have sticktoitiveness, locodad.

Andy451 on 2015-11-07 06:32:55
    Doesn't Jesus know? I mean, didn't the Virgin Mary tell him one time when she was peeling onions and zucchini for the ghost with the most? And didn't his famous father tell him one time when he was knitting garments for the Trojan Horse? Why follow a religious leader if he is a complete idiot, and doesn't even know as much about the art of motorcycle maintenance as his family dog? I mean, if dogs run free then why not we to ravish in the corn? And locodad, should you really be bragging about how fast you solved the cryptogram? It took me ten times as long to solve this one. You hurt my feelings, man!

jimdgar on 2016-03-11 04:51:46
    Andy, cut down on the coffee dude.

Addendum: The slowest time was only 575 seconds, so hyperbole all round

Comment

"There is always some frivolity in excellent minds; they have wings to rise, but also stray. "
      — Joseph Joubert

Allen on 2014-03-14 02:52:14
      And now they call it Attention Deficit Disorder.

Comment

Originally posted by nanrich View Post
        Addendum: The slowest time was only 575 seconds, so hyperbole all round
        Actually, not necessarily. The fastest solving time gets updated to the bell curve, but for some reason slow records don't. When you first make a new slow record, you see it on the bell curve, but when you get back to the same quote later, it's not there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Annamariah View Post
          Actually, not necessarily. The fastest solving time gets updated to the bell curve, but for some reason slow records don't. When you first make a new slow record, you see it on the bell curve, but when you get back to the same quote later, it's not there anymore.
          i've always wondered about that. also, the success rate never seems to change--i'll notice that someone in 2009 has commented that the rate is only 6.9%, for instance; here we are, several years later, and it's exactly the same.

Comment

"There can be no great courage where there is no confidence or assurance, and half the battle is in the conviction that we can do what we undertake. "
            — Orison Swett Marden

puzzleme on 2013-05-31 01:13:24
            In other words, "don't Swett the small stuff."

Comment

"The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it."
              — C.C. Scott

abra on 2014-06-12 13:41:51
              There are too many "broken" people in the world for me to believe this. It's a nice thought, though.

abracadebra on 2015-03-24 13:30:37
              The human spirit is invisible, not invincible!

dddeedee on 2015-09-08 01:07:39
              abracadebra - I like your quote better

LLapp on 2015-11-26 16:47:41
              Which reminds me of...."If God created-a Man in his own image, how come-a we're not all, like, invisible?" - Father Guido Sarducci

Comment

Oh, I wish that quote was in front of me so, I could comment something about "finda the Pope in the pizza".

People often comment about setting those really slow records, but they don't show up. I've set a few myself, they go away. I have seen the success rate change, but only by a tenth or so, which I always think may have been a typo, by the person who mentioned it. I wish admin would clear up some of these easy questions for us.

Comment

"Bell curve"

The statistics curve looks like a bell curve, but closer examination shows that it isn't. There are 5 numbers on the x-axis; the first is the record time and the third is the average of all solvers' times (I believe). The second number is midway between the fastest and the average. The 4th number is three times the average and the 5th is five times the average. These are arbitrary boundaries for the "very slow" region of the graph and I believe it was done that way to simplify the recordkeeping and also to not spotlight those times when something interrupts us while trying to solve a puzzle.

An individual's "record slow time" appears only for that individual and is then incorporated into the average. Unless the average changes significantly, the last two numbers on the graph will remain the same.
                  "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

"Fashions are the only induced epidemics, proving that epidemics can be induced by tradesmen."
                    — George Bernard Shaw

universalmom on 2015-10-04 03:17:03
                    Typhoid YSL?
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

"Nowhere can a man find a quieter or more untroubled retreat than in his own soul." — Marcus Aurelius

JenDiaz72 on 2015-01-06 07:16:45
                      I sold my soul so I have to settle with a Chrysler Lebaron...

Comment

Here's a three-and-a-half-year conversation:

"The ingenuity of the device blinds us to its utter uselessness." — British civil servant

Lurker on 2010-04-18 02:22:29
                        How can someone type that fast?

bansaisequoia on 2010-06-24 22:37:38
                        Wow, that sounds like the comment of a total rookie. (Hey! How did Lurker solve that one in just six seconds????)

Lurker on 2011-08-06 22:45:23
                        I do not remember writing that. For the record, the comment was about typing, not solving.

fredsevent on 2011-08-08 18:53:37
                        I did some research and cannot determine which device it is. Any guesses?

bansaisequoia on 2012-02-02 01:04:33
                        It was when Dr Who applied for his patent on the Tardis.

chopstix on 2013-11-22 06:14:30
                        it was a super fast keyboard

Comment

"All you need is the plan, the road map, and the courage to press on to your destination. " -- Earl Nightingale

joed on 2013-05-06 17:09:15
                          ...and this lamp...and this ashtray...

chopstix on 2014-02-18 07:47:09
                          and this paddle game...and this chair...

wvwoman on 2014-09-01 03:47:53
                          ...and plenty of water...

DeskJockey on 2014-10-09 02:17:04
                          ....and this remote control...that's all I need...I DON"T NEED ONE OTHER THING...except this chair...

Qtip on 2015-02-10 07:28:04
                          I'm picking out a thermos for you....

maradnu on 2015-03-16 12:17:13
                          Without the ability, determination will only get you so far.

Vienna on 2015-08-15 18:13:54
                          I hear motivational speakers and want to say "Thank you Captain Obvious"

marnita on 2015-10-05 05:40:54
                          I just want to yawn.

Comment

This works best when you google a picture of Ibsen.

"The spirit of truth and the spirit of freedom - these are the pillars of society. "
                            — Henrik Ibsen

montyb on 2014-12-13 02:19:15
                            Those and pizza.

GtrZan on 2015-01-29 07:54:53
                            looks like he has pillars on his face!

jval on 2015-03-19 14:24:57
                            How did that facial hair style ever come into being?

LLapp on 2015-12-28 17:50:58
                            Truth and Freedom were the names of his left and right muttonchops, respectively. Together they were known as the pillars of society. At least I think that's what he meant.

Comment

"I wish that every human life might be pure transparent freedom."
                              — Simone de Beauvoir

saipanwriter on 2012-05-19 03:08:10
                              Who even knows what pure transparent freedom is?

fredsevent on 2012-07-15 01:34:53
                              It's gin.

madrone on 2012-11-24 19:41:09
                              vodka

Allen on 2013-05-14 16:14:12
                              Transparent freedom: freedom you can see through.

abra on 2015-02-10 15:51:52
                              I like the gin and vodka votes, but I think Allen has nailed it.

mikehallbackhoe on 2015-10-15 10:40:26
                              it has to be unadulterated,

Comment

"Life is a sexually transmitted disease."
                                — Anonymous

Carrot on 2012-10-15 00:28:57
                                Gee how uplifting, the only things this quote is missing is death and taxes!

montyb on 2012-10-27 20:17:13
                                Oh my Lord -- I've caught it! Unclean! Unclean!

puffybob on 2012-12-26 06:47:13
                                Don't worry, it's curable.

joed on 2013-03-26 13:48:12
                                Too late, I've passed it on...

Comment

Working...
                                X