No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams."
    — Jonas E. Salk

bansaisequoia
    November 2, 2009, 10:42 pm
    This man is an inspiration. When he developed the Polio Vaccine, he gave it to all humankind and did not apply for patent. When asked why, he said "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?" All the pharmaceutical company executives we see in the Fortune 400 should open up their eyes and start thinking of the enrichment of the world, not the enrichment of their assets.

wvwoman
    September 23, 2012, 6:14 am
    they probably wouldn't understand that concept.

wvwoman
    December 2, 2013, 11:02 am
    and well said, bansai.

skeeter
    April 25, 2015, 4:26 am
    I think of him whenever I recall all the children of my childhood who had to wear the polio braces. It was a common sight then, but an extremely rare one now.

abra
    June 6, 2015, 10:54 am
    Those of us who are old enough to remember children with Polio, know how great this man was. I didn't know the information that bansai gave us. It makes him a giant. We need more giants.

Capy
    July 3, 2016, 9:35 pm
    Thank you for that Bansai

SippyGurl
    December 10, 2016, 9:49 am
    thanks bansai! now i understand more fully why so many hold him in such high regard

LLapp
    February 4, 2019, 8:24 pm
    I was born in 1956, and I lived until age 5 on a street where I sometimes watched my sister and other older girls jump rope on the sidewalk. All these years later, there are still two sights I've not forgotten. First was the two girls jumping in and out of Double Dutch -- my first experience of jaw-dropping spectacle. And second was our quiet "steady ender" -- the young girl in the wheelchair, legs paralyzed by polio, glad to be turning the rope at her end.

letfreedomring
    September 18, 2019, 12:33 pm
    ^A nice reminder, as we bicker politically, to take a step back to count our blessings.

Comment

• "The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet - the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." — Salvador Dali

ernests
      August 23, 2018, 6:41 pm
      The third was a poet again, but this time writing a comic verse about the second guy. The fourth was just some drunk guy. After that, pretty much everyone was doing it for a while before it went out of fashion and comparing foreheads to alabaster became the in thing.

Comment

• "Hate is the consequence of fear; we fear something before we hate it. A child who fears noises becomes a man who hates noise."
        — Cyril Connolly

LLapp
        April 3, 2015, 7:20 pm
        Unless the child is a girl.
        LLapp
        January 9, 2016, 3:56 pm
        As I used to tell my daughter, "Stop being afraid of noises, or you'll grow up to be a man!"
        abra
        June 3, 2019, 2:22 am
        Right, LLapp, He should have said ''an adult', or a ''boy'' who fears noise''.
        montyb
        October 22, 2019, 2:50 pm
        Would you all please pipe down? Geez, who can solve cryptograms with this cacophony all around?

Comment

• The 59th St. Bridge thread

"Light, when suddenly let in, dazzles and hurts and almost blinds us: but this soon passes away, and it seems to become the only element we can exist in." — Augustus William Hare

LLapp
          April 27, 2017, 3:33 pm
          I liked "dapples" -- very painterly.

Queethebean
          September 19, 2017, 12:40 am
          I also had dapples.

Persephone59
          April 24, 2018, 8:38 pm
          I as well. I'm not easily dazzled.

montyb
          August 17, 2018, 8:15 am
          Let's hear it for all us dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep people. Let the morningtime drop all its petals on us.

abra
          December 30, 2018, 6:13 pm
          All is groovy. Dappling sounds less painful than dazzling.

LLapp
          January 18, 2019, 10:02 pm
          Slow down, nanrich! You move too fast.

Eureka
          April 8, 2019, 10:50 pm
          And that's why I like my transition lenses.

Comment

• "I am become death, shatterer of worlds. "
            — Julius Robert Oppenheimer

puzzleme
            September 4, 2011, 2:03 am
            This is not an original Oppenheimer quote. It is from The Bhagavad GÄ«ta and was quoted by Oppenheimer in an interview where he discussed his role in the development of the atomic bomb.

Kgun5
            June 14, 2013, 2:33 am
            His delivery of it was dynamite, though.

geeko321
            February 10, 2014, 8:00 am
            Is this grammar correct? Seems awkward.

dovid1946
            February 24, 2015, 7:22 am
            The bhagavad vita actually includes an account of a nuclear war fought by aliens above the earth milleniia ago.

CarpeLanam
            October 12, 2017, 2:44 am
            As for the grammar, "become" is a linking verb, meaning the subject and predicate are the same thing. I = Death. I am Death. I (have) become Death. It's similar to the grammar of French "Je suis devenu la mort." (For a transitive verb it would be "J'ai vu...") And there is an interesting article here: (link)

MamaB
            March 5, 2018, 1:18 pm
            Thanks, Carpe.

DrCryptell
            October 5, 2018, 7:57 pm
            "I am" is the shortest sentence in the English language, For another verb to follow it is grammatically incorrect. making this difficult to solve.

MamaB
            February 21, 2019, 5:04 am
            Tell that to the bhagavad vita. I still like Carpe's explanation.

oddcouple
            May 11, 2019, 2:26 am
            "I am" may be the shortest sentence, but "I do" is the longest.

Queethebean
            May 20, 2019, 9:45 pm
            And a rim shot for oddcouple!

abra
            August 22, 2019, 8:04 pm
            Great comment, kgun5.

Comment

• "Why has God given me such magnificent talent? It is a curse as well as a great blessing."
              — Albrecht Dürer

LLapp
              October 12, 2018, 11:16 am
              I mutter this same exact gripe every morning when I get up and stumble toward the coffeemaker.
              "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• "The buck stops with the guy who signs the checks." — Rupert Murdoch

montyb
                January 8, 2016, 3:22 pm
                Then the bucks stay with him. So much for trickle-down economics.

kb83
                April 6, 2016, 4:32 am
                The buck checks with the sign that stops the guy.

Roxanne
                November 28, 2018, 5:38 am
                This is precisely why I now pay bills online instead of by check. On check-writing day, I used to look up from my kitchen table and there would be a six-point buck standing outside, ripping a hole in the porch screen with his antlers and grunting. This only happened outside of hunting season, mind you.

Comment

• "Advertising is the modern substitute for argument; its function is to make the worse appear the better." — George Santayana

Johnlocke
                  April 1, 2019, 9:24 pm
                  I think Abraxas was my favorite album by him.

Comment

• Laughed out loud...

Comment

• "Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." — Unattributed

darkyr
                      November 18, 2016, 9:46 am
                      uh-oh. I do this all the time. Why shouldn't I? There really should be a because on these quotes. Now I'll have to wait months before I get an answer, if I get an answer.

darkyr
                      June 30, 2017, 11:02 am
                      This time it took me a bit longer because I was actually holding a stone, about to throw it, when I remembered I live in a glass house. How eerie that this was the quote I was solving right at that moment.

TPITTMAN44
                      May 12, 2019, 7:15 am
                      Maybe they shouldn't throw orgies either.

Comment

Working...
                      X