No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abra's comment made me laugh out loud...

"None are too small, too feeble, too poor to be of service. Think of this and act." — Hannah More

vivian1874
    June 1, 2013, 5:35 am
    I'm too busy solving cryptograms.

wvwoman
    July 10, 2013, 4:51 am
    that comment made me grin.

JD_1947
    November 9, 2014, 4:07 pm
    I don't like thinking about it . . small, feeble and poor makes me depressed . . . I may have to do something to change this condition before I can act . . .

dddeedee
    March 27, 2015, 10:48 am
    How will an acting career help.

LLapp
    October 28, 2015, 6:01 am
    ^ hahaha.

LLapp
    April 3, 2016, 12:37 pm
    I wonder if this was Hannah's pep talk to her servants.

abra
    January 25, 2017, 9:42 am
    You, the little short one with the blanky, couldn't you be dusting or polishing something.

Purson
    October 17, 2017, 5:05 am
    ^I can't breathe I'm laughing too hard

Comment

• "What I possess I would gladly retain. Change amuses the mind, yet scarcely profits." — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Roxanne
      November 5, 2018, 1:31 am
      Some might consider this quotation to reflect Goethe's overall Weltanschauung. But in fact, he is merely referring to the Turtleneck-of-the-Month club (Klub Schildkrotenhals des Monats) that he signed up for on a foolish whim two years ago. He knew he should have thought twice before he fell for the old 'keep up with each season's new colors' ploy. But the ads showed a manly German Enlightenment philosopher with a lovely woman -- frankly, a babe -- on each arm promenading through the streets of Heidelberg, and he thought he knew something about color, given his own scientific researches. Turns out he really likes only his old favorite white turtlenecks from Eduard von Bauer, and now the verdammt Schildkrotenhals club won't let him unsubscribe. He keeps trying their customer service phone number and just gets the usual bad recording of Handel's Zadok the Priest on a loop.

Comment

• Comment

• and lo, a colon has been added

"Censor: a self-appointed snoophound who sticks his nose in other people's business."
          Bennett Alfred Cerf

Lurker on January 6th, 2011
          Perhaps there should be a colon after Censor?

gryhnd51 on November 25th, 2011
          "censor" the VERB means to remove, suppress, delete, to express disapproval of. In this quote, it is NOT being used as a noun, in which case a colon would be required.

kb83 on November 14th, 2014
          I vote for noun and a colon.

maradnu on January 29th, 2015
          Having a colon is handy. I'd hate to be without one.

montyb on June 19th, 2015
          Some censors are intimately acquainted with their own colons.

Comment

• "Joy seems to me a step beyond happiness - happiness is a sort of atmosphere you can live in sometimes, when you're lucky. Joy is a light that fills you with hope and faith and love." — Adela Rogers St. Johns

wordloon
            May 12, 2011, 5:58 am
            Correct nane: Adela Rogers St. Johns

wordloon
            July 7, 2011, 2:53 pm
            name

vivian1874
            May 12, 2013, 2:31 am
            : )

judy100
            January 16, 2015, 7:00 am
            : D

LLapp
            September 11, 2016, 1:11 pm
            : O

blueladyblue
            May 31, 2018, 8:55 am
            Huh? What am I missing here?

montyb
            February 14, 2021, 8:33 am
            Vivian is happy, Judy is joyous, and LLapp is yawning.

Comment

• "The last thing a woman will consent to discover in a man whom she loves, or on whom she simply depends, is want of courage."

— Joseph Conrad

Anachronismatic
              February 5, 2021, 4:12 pm

I'm afraid to ask my wife what she thinks about this quote.

Comment

• (This is just one of many humorous exchanges between darkyr and LLapp in the comments section.)

"When you're arguing with a fool, make sure he isn't doing the same thing." — Unattributed

darkyr
                July 14, 2017, 6:09 am
                I think he is. What do I do now?

LLapp
                September 27, 2017, 11:05 am
                Look at your watch, feign great surprise and urgency, say "OMG! I'm so sorry, I have to leave immediately!" and then run out the door with no explanation. Works great at deadly long meetings, provided you don't use it too often.

Comment

• "People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead." — Edith Wharton

Edith_Wharton_7539.jpg

badbob
                  August 23, 2017, 9:58 am
                  Margaret Hamilton wants her hat back.

Wordigo
                  October 9, 2020, 10:07 pm
                  She is still paying for the hat.

Comment

• Vintage38 gets the first and last word!

"If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it."
                    — Calvin Coolidge

vintage38
                    October 9, 2018, 6:26 am
                    68 seconds

Elephino
                    October 12, 2018, 12:26 pm
                    Say that again?

montyb
                    October 17, 2018, 2:23 am
                    Vintage38 said, "68 seconds."

vintage38
                    March 21, 2021, 2:47 pm
                    Shouldn't have said anything.
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• "One is not superior merely because one sees the world as odious." — Chateaubriand

oddcouple
                      August 11, 2013, 1:31 pm
                      Yum! I wish I had a little chateaubriand on my table right now!

locodad
                      April 26, 2014, 3:48 pm
                      I don't taste anything that I can't spell

universalmom
                      September 21, 2014, 2:38 pm
                      not even the odd hors d'oeuvre?

puzzleme
                      October 6, 2014, 7:16 pm
                      I eat only even hors d'oeuvres.

Comment

• I don’t know if this has already been posted, but one night when my wife was away visiting a friend I found Pootie’s comment comforting. I have edited out all subsequent comments (including my own) because ... well, just because.

"How glad we shall be, that we have somebody we are fond of always, to talk to and sit with."
                        — Charles Dickens

pootie49
                        June 11, 2011, 2:31 pm
                        I agree. Someone to sit on a bench in the garden with after a long day, and just watch the sun set and talk about your day, your dreams, your hopes. then he takes your hand and says lets go inside its late and you stand up and hold each other and think yes this is how it should be. my friend, my lover, my confessor, my hope and my future. an equal. whom you look at and without a doubt in your mind think, i love this man and he loves me...what else do we really need? that complete feeling of belonging.
                        "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Montyb, thank you for posting that beautiful, wise, healing comment from Pootie. It melts my heart every time I read it.

Comment

• I completely agree. These words wafted over me all night long last night, the beauty of it is so strong. I am so glad Pootie wrote this and that Montyb posted it.

Comment

• Puzzleme, is that a pairity argument?

Comment

• "Italy, and the spring and first love all together should suffice to make the gloomiest person happy." — Bertrand Russell

abra
                                September 15, 2020, 1:39 am
                                I think I'll start a GoFundMe to send Antonio Porchia to Italy.

Comment

Working...
                                X