Achievements and Accomplishments Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Emerging View Post
    Still doesn't happen that often, but I beat Naboka's high score again. I don't want to freak you out Naboka, but it feels particularly good to get more points than you.

image.png
    Understand. Know the feeling. It's always a bit of thrill.

Propably what makes the game a bit addictive.

So, not bothered that you're having fun and topping my games. Kind of a compliment that anyone wants to beat my scores at all. Wasn't like that for a long time.

Took a lot of study and analysis to come to this point. Think I've easily put in more work learning this game that any full semester (probably year) of college. And I got my bachelors in three years, so they were loaded semesters.

The especially nice thing is you put the game back into cirulation so others have a shot at the longest/best word.

PS: it might be a good thing not to show the best/longest words. Makes it more of challenge so we all have to work for the rewards rather than being given the answers. I realize that anyone who's played a particular board will be exposed to the longest word if it's been played, but that's a very limited audience. Just a courtesy to the long word players who like to discover these things on their own.
    Last edited by Naboka; 09-14-2024, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• If I post achievements in the future, I think I'll exclude the best and longest words. Thanks for your input.

There have been numerous times that I get more words than you, but don't even close to outscoring you. Obviously it's because your propensity to play high-scoring words. So on the the unusual occasion I outscore you too, it's really gratifying.

Comment

• Finally broke the into the 1100s!!
        Attached Files

Comment

• Congratulations! Almost none of us will get anywhere near that, even on the 5x5 game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
            "Zero" boards resulted when someone got an unplayed board but didn't enter any words before the time ran out. This was when boards were counted as played but no words had been entered. I assume that these zero boards are holdovers from that time & haven't been recycled yet.
            Just for grins I purposely let a board run out without playing it--before which I recorded my number of games played, average score, average points per game, and average points per word.

You're right: nothing changed. All my stats remained the same.

The board had been played by others also.

Screen Shot 2024-09-20 at 11.16.01 AM.png

Guess that's one less worry. I often open boards and leave the keyboard untouched so I can excercise the mental recognition aspect without the complication of fingers finding keys. It's the same strategy used in improving any activity: break it down into fundamental parts and drill those parts to improve efficiency.

Unfortunately, sometimes I got distracted and left the board open without any plays leaving a bunch of zeros.

That was always exasperating since I assumed it impacted averages.

Now I can just exercise that fundamental without the distraction of worrying about when time runs out.

Comment

• Originally posted by boysmom View Post
              Finally broke the into the 1100s!!
              All the more impressive to me since you're a fellow swiper! I think fast typists generally have an advantage in this game, but you're definitely the fastest big-league swiper!

Comment

• Finally, finally, finally I won the first place in APPW in 5x5 board.
                Thanks to the cryptogram keeper for not competing this time. Otherwise I would have to wait god knows for how long.
                And what an honor it is to play alongside lalatan spike1007, folkslinger, dasan and other legends here.
                Congrats to you all guys.
                Last edited by kjambur; 10-01-2024, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• kjambur, congrats to you!

Comment

• kjambur, congrats! To achieve an APPW like you did is akin to running an ultramarathon. Not only does it take a lot of long word knowledge but also requires a willingness to filter through hundreds or thousands of games to find high scoring words. Well done.

Nice find you made with BROMOCHLOROFLUOROMETHANES. I never saw it in a puzzle or in the best words list (although I don't always read that list so may have missed it).

the cryptogram keeper, congrats on your recent string of gold trophies in 5x5 APPW!
                    Last edited by lalatan; 10-02-2024, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Sometimes when I get frustrated by failing to meet expectations, I try to step back and be pragmatic. Instead of dumping half of the games started, I play them through just to readjust my inflated expectations back to reality.

Self-delusion's a bitch.

Life is just easier when you don't beat yourself up for not being able to do what you really can't.

Started this game and figured with 182 UR words I should easily get in the upper 600's.

Nope. Couldn't get traction.

And that's really par for the course.

(or coarse as we hoi polloi are oft considered).

Screen Shot 2024-10-05 at 5.27.51 PM.png

I sometimes imagine Wordtwist having an apples-to-apples contest for high averages where a given set of 50 boards is available for that month's result. A board can only be played once, and can't be dumped. Be interestng to add a timer where a player entering over 4-5 words (20-25 letters) in a second would be disqualified. That should weed out anyone running some sort of computer assist. But, I also realize having such a contest probably has limited and diminishing value where most players are just having fun rather than obsessing over what mountain must be climbed or which trophy must be won.

Comment

• In roughly two hours and twenty minutes I will have completed another trip around the sun. That cookie jar better look out tonight. Those chocolate chips are calling my name!!

Comment

Working...
                        X