Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lalatan
    replied
    Congrats walden123 on your new personal best. You brought back a memory for me. Spike1007 first found that word 3 years ago. I thought it was an awesome find since I was starting out in 5x5 long word play.

A couple months ago I was playing as thinkbig for APPW and loaded a board with a 43 pt best word. I played CONSTITUTIONALIZATIONS for 45 pts. It was both tragic and ironic they had missed typing the s since they are listed as a twosome in their username (possibly 2 sets of eyes didn't see it). That's my personal best of taking over a high value best word record. It took 3 years for it to happen.

Leave a comment:

• walden123
    replied
    Never had this happen to me before. I was thinking "Hey, isn't this longer than 18 letters?"
    Screenshot 2020-07-10 at 3.49.31 PM.png
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    I played a board where I spotted -metrically early on. The only available letters to pair with it were jammed in the lower right corner. So I decided to start by trying the longest prefix I could form: nephelo-. I thought with amusement, "Maybe they measure nephelos." I was completely surprised when it was accepted!! Wow! 3 years ago I could not have conceived there would be so many prefixes used in medical/scientific words.
    While I was still musing on that I started another game and found FANTASTICALNESSES. It seemed appropriate after finding the previous word.

Leave a comment:

• JJBeanie
    replied
    Originally posted by playonwords View Post
    I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries
    I found this note in the Collins dictionary:

custumary.JPG

I wonder if it's related to the word "custumal", too?

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    Nice find playonwords. That has occurred a few times for me in the last 6 years of playing: the word was accepted but there was no definition to be found anywhere.

This morning at 10:40 local time I learned a new word: EXTRAVERSIVELY (28/14). (It usually happens later in the day for me to construct a word I haven't seen before.) It means directed in an outward manner. It was 1 of those scenarios where it seemed to be the only choice for a high scoring word so I played it, not really expecting success.
    Last edited by lalatan; 06-30-2020, 01:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• playonwords
    replied
    I just found a word and tested it simply because it was a puzzle I was sure I would only get a 7-letter word . . . custumary (notice the 'u' instead of the 'o' in customary). . . funny though, I cannot find this word anywhere to get a definition of it . . . Google, American and English dictionaries

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by crazykate View Post
    In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
    SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
    today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.
    No, it would be well-known only among people who run paper through a supercalendar to make it dense and smooth. :^)

Leave a comment:

• crazykate
    replied
    In my hunt for long words, I often randomly try combining available syllables, even if the final result sounds unlikely. That's how I ended up with
    SUPERCALENDERING (30 pts.) New record!

​​​​
    today.

Apparently, it's the process of running paper through a special press (a supercalender) to make it dense and smooth. Maybe it's a word well known amongst native speakers of English, but I was quite surprised when it worked.

Leave a comment:

• lalatan
    replied
    I just played BLOODYMINDEDNESS (19/16)for the first time today. I assumed it was likely a word used in the UK. And it was but it seems it's also in use in North America. Never heard the word before. I guess phletbotomists are bloodyminded whenever they go to work.

Leave a comment:

• Brisul
    replied
    Originally posted by mcdonna View Post

You could do what Lalatan and Spike do and have two different usernames, one for longest and one for more normal play.
    I actually do have an alter ego that I haven't used in a few years. If I do use it, my style of play will have to be one or the other. It takes what limited time I have now to compile the 51 games needed to qualify.

Leave a comment:

• mcdonna
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisul View Post
    Yeah, I only score over 1000 a few times per month, so it's magical enough for me to keep playing this style. However, now that I've got Fasteddieb, Megaword AND ThunderRock all competing in 5x5, it's starting to look like the best I can hope for is a 4th place finish! If it didn't kill my overall lifetime average, I'd consider switching to the long word style of play that you and the others do.
    You could do what Lalatan and Spike do and have two different usernames, one for longest and one for more normal play.

Leave a comment:

• Brisul
    replied

It's still a thrill! Sometimes I'll find one in the first minute but more often I'm still scrambling to find something 20 seconds before the timer ends. I'm not quick -- my best score (5x5) was 587 -- so instead of trying to find lots of words, I look for the biggest one I can find. If you were willing to only find a few words and focus on the long ones you'd pick it up fast, but you probably wouldn't be scoring 1000 points any more!
    Yeah, I only score over 1000 a few times per month, so it's magical enough for me to keep playing this style. However, now that I've got Fasteddieb, Megaword AND ThunderRock all competing in 5x5, it's starting to look like the best I can hope for is a 4th place finish! If it didn't kill my overall lifetime average, I'd consider switching to the long word style of play that you and the others do.

Leave a comment:

• mcdonna
    replied
    Originally posted by Brisul View Post
    That must be the most amazing thing when you find words that long. Is it still? Or has it become old hat for you by now? For me, I still get psyched every time I score over 1000 points in a game. I don't think that will ever get old.
    It's still a thrill! Sometimes I'll find one in the first minute but more often I'm still scrambling to find something 20 seconds before the timer ends. I'm not quick -- my best score (5x5) was 587 -- so instead of trying to find lots of words, I look for the biggest one I can find. If you were willing to only find a few words and focus on the long ones you'd pick it up fast, but you probably wouldn't be scoring 1000 points any more!

Leave a comment:

• Brisul
    replied
    I am not an anthropologist ... yesterday I set a board record with NONANTHROPOLOGICAL (34 pts). Today set a record on a different board with NONANTHROPOLOGIST (32). Tomorrow I looking for NONANTHROPOLOGISM.
    That must be the most amazing thing when you find words that long. Is it still? Or has it become old hat for you by now? For me, I still get psyched every time I score over 1000 points in a game. I don't think that will ever get old.

Leave a comment:

• mcdonna
    replied
    I am not an anthropologist ... yesterday I set a board record with NONANTHROPOLOGICAL (34 pts). Today set a record on a different board with NONANTHROPOLOGIST (32). Tomorrow I looking for NONANTHROPOLOGISM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X