No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, do we want to limit ourselves to one instance of goodheartedness, or should we all be aspiring for the multiple? Sometimes, more is more!

Comment

• ENUF - I was surprised when it was accepted. I only entered it because I had time to spare and thought I'd try my luck. I didn't expect it to be a valid word.

Comment

• The scores of my first two games this month were 972 and 971. I don't think I've ever started a month with nearly identical scores back to back like that.

Comment

• While it annoys me a little, I'm kind of used to the idea that the singular can be accepted while the plural isn't (or vice versa). It bothers me more when dropping or adding the -S or -ES changes the rarity. (I go for high average points/word, and if I get a great plural, I'll agonize over whether I should try the singular & risk blowing my average for the board.)

Early on in my WordTwist career, I thought that British spellings should somehow be classified as more rare than American spellings. (OK, that shows a little cultural bias. I'm sure the British see it the other way.) Anyway, after a while, I came to the conclusion that the "rareness" was pretty much the same either way, although there were point differences due to using -OU- rather than -O- or -S- rather than -Z-. The other day though, I got DEMYTHOLOGISERS for 18 points (wide), and DEMYTHOLOGIZERS for 31 (ultra-rare). That threw me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
            The other day though, I got DEMYTHOLOGISERS for 18 points (wide), and DEMYTHOLOGIZERS for 31 (ultra-rare). That threw me.
            Maybe Americans just don't talk or write about DEMYTHOLOGIZERS very much while people in the UK use this word a lot.

Comment

• Yaaaaay!!! Very entertained by that concept mdyak! It's 6.33am here (possibly tomorrow), and I don't usually laugh (or even speak) before 7.30am!

Whether the British spelling is rarer that the American spelling would have to be based on whether the game is based predominently in English, or the American dialect. That ENUF is accepted would seem to be an indication that UK slang/dialect can become common usage. It would be fun to know more about who/how the dictionary is compiled.

Comment

• We Americans do like our myths. That brings up the question of whether MYTHOLOGIZERS should be more common than MYTHOLOGISERS. Unfortunately I didn't check that.

Comment

• If more people in the world speak English, as compared to American, then MYTHOLOGISERS should be more common that the Z version. In the meantime, the multilingual amongst us (at least those of us who speak both English and (North) American) get both in the game, if both letters are available...and they often are. You guys should consider yourselves lucky, because you wouldn't have the metre/meter triggers that the English speaker/writer has.

Comment

• After finding HEROISMS on a board, I tried HEROISE, because why not? It counted.

Comment

• I found TRANSMOGRIFICATIONS on a board a few days ago, was pleasantly surprised to find it.

Comment

• which is humourous, because it shouldn't be a pleasant surprise by definition...

Comment

• I just played a board where I spotted PALAEOCURRENTS and had to try it. Strangely it was only worth 16 pts but I kept it anyway since it's such a Frankenstein word as well as PALAEOCURRENT being an oxymoron.
                          Definition: A geological feature that indicates the direction of flow of water in the geologic past

Edit: I just found SEAMANLIKENESSES for 31 pts. Can't say I've ever used that in a sentence.
                          Last edited by lalatan; 03-17-2021, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• I just found PHOTOCURRENTS (24 pts). I didn't keep it, but maybe we should be on the lookout for PALAEOPHOTOCURRENTS or PHOTOPALAEOCURRENTS.

Comment

• Lol Spike. I'd bet on PHOTOPALAEOCURRENTS. It'd be when someone took pics of them.

Isn't it crazy to see various players getting high words scores now? While clicking through games I've never even seen the usernames of many of best/longest record holders before. I remember when we started out there was 1 page of users who got 38+ pts in the best words list. Now there are 5-6 pages of them every month.
                              Last edited by lalatan; 03-18-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Currently, in the 4x4 total points monthly competition, the top four scorers' "best words" are WATERBOARDINGS, RECAUTERIZATIONS, BLEEDINGS, AND MEDICALIZATION. Theme detected!

Comment

Working...
                                X