No announcement yet.

The strange, the bizarre and the unexpected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a fascinating piece of technology. Never heard of it before. Using bubbles on the surface of submarines to make them move faster. Amongst other things.

Supercavitations.

Guess I should have given credit to the person who found it first, but...

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 5.58.49 PM.png

Comment

• So I played this board recently and the longest word recorded isn't possible because it uses the same 'I' twice.

image_608.jpg

Do you see what I mean? How is this possible? I usually use each letter only once.
      Last edited by 2cute; 10-15-2021, 03:17 PM.

Comment

• Start in the lower right corner and go up to make the longest word. Nothing is used twice.

Comment

• Ohhhhh ... ok, you're right! Thanks!

Comment

• Spike, I thought I'd post this curious anomaly for you. This is very likely the only time in WordTwist history when we are joint best/longest word record holders on a board. It happened not long after the new dictionary was added last February and came up for me again last week. I played 1 of your 44 pt record games and to my surprise I became the best word record holder after I submitted the game. I knew what happened though because BoggleOtaku had done it with 1 of my records before then. The new scoring increased the pt value of the same word by 2 pts.

JOINT RECORD HOLDER W SPIKE.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              Spike, I thought I'd post this curious anomaly for you. This is very likely the only time in WordTwist history when we are joint best/longest word record holders on a board. It happened not long after the new dictionary was added last February and came up for me again last week. I played 1 of your 44 pt record games and to my surprise I became the best word record holder after I submitted the game. I knew what happened though because BoggleOtaku had done it with 1 of my records before then. The new scoring increased the pt value of the same word by 2 pts.

JOINT RECORD HOLDER W SPIKE.jpg
              Wow that's amazing lalatan! You both got the very same word! You're right its the only record with both of you having the very same word for longest & best. Great find!

Comment

• lalatan, that is pretty interesting. I'm pretty sure I haven't beaten anyone's best word record with the same word. Maybe I'll have to watch for that before all boards using the old scoring are recycled. Then again, if Stephen does update rarity values (and especially if he makes them board-dependent) we could be in for another round of curiosities.

It occurred to me that you could have set the record even with the singular, adding to the curiosity.
                Last edited by Spike1007; 10-22-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

• Oops, I looked up my screenshot of the first time I set records w DICHLORODIFLUOROMETHANES and the old pt value was 42, not 44 as I stated in my other post. So the new scoring increased the pt value by 4 and the singular pt value by 2. It was always a mystery to me why dropping the -s decreased the pt value of the singular so much, only 33 pts. (But there are plenty of such mysteries in WordTwist, as we know.) Also, I probably didn't explain it too well that I overtook your best word record in February. The screenshot I posted is that same game; it hasn't been recycled yet. I just played it again to boost my APPW this time.
                  Last edited by lalatan; 10-22-2021, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
                    lalatan, I was just thinking of you.

First, let me say that PERSNICKETIEST is one of the best words I've ever heard found on this site. (Also, MARSHMALLOWIEST, which makes me happy every time I think of it...
                    Sad to say marshmallows don't make me happy. As a kid in the 60's I somewhat enjoyed the campfire charred ones but never gorged myself like others in my age group. I did enjoy the challenge of toasting them evenly w/o setting them ablaze. Had I known of the existence of s'mores it may have changed my perception of them since I like chocolate and graham crackers.

By reading through the best words played lists in 4x4 this month I discovered QUICKSILVERIEST is worth 33 pts. So that seems to be the kingliest of -iest words.

Pain woke me up at 5:00 a.m. so I'm stroaming more than usual today.

Enjoy the word hunt and your weekend stroaming.
                    Last edited by lalatan; 10-22-2021, 12:39 PM.

Comment

• Deregulationization. lol. h/t to lalatan.

Comment

• Thanks rosedraws. Haha, I chuckled after finding that one. I saw the -ization after I found deregulation and thought why not??

I just finished playing a 4x4 board where there was supposed to be a 30 pt word in it. I saw mountain, boarders, borders, mounters etc. so I was stumped what it was. Turned out to be MOUNTAINBOARDERS as found by HyacinthBucket6. Tip o' the hat to you for having the imagination to play that one. Hope things are going ok for you in T.O.
                        Last edited by lalatan; 10-28-2021, 11:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                          I discovered QUICKSILVERIEST is worth 33 pts. So that seems to be the kingliest of -iest words.
                          Hmm, still like PERSNICKETIEST and MARSHMALLOWIEST better. More points doth not make a better word, IMHO. (Very humble.)

Not fond of marshmallows, either. Smores, yes. I do not understand Peeps at all.

My mind is stroaming at work today, so I've been playing a few boards while I'm eating my lunch. I found TROGLODYTE, which is neither strange nor bizarre, and only unexpected in that I figured out how to spell it. Y, not I.

Comment

Hmm, still like PERSNICKETIEST and MARSHMALLOWIEST better. More points doth not make a better word, IMHO. (Very humble.)
                            I agree that those 2 words are superior and QUICKSILVERIEST is only kingliest in the sense it's worth more pts.

Although NONIMPERATIVENESSES and lacking GRAMMATICALITIES, I thought I'd post some of my recent finds that are somewhat off the beaten path, linguistically speaking. I hope people will not think me SMALLMINDEDNESSES nor HELTERSKELTERINESS to do so. Some may deem it a SUPERABOMINATION while others may find it FRUCTIFEROUSNESSES in searching for such words in puzzles. Some may think it SUBLIMABLENESSES. Others may be SUPERCYNICALNESSES about it and find it altogether UNLAUDABLENESSES but I ask them to be BROADHEARTEDNESSES (apparently not quite as tall as big-, large- or greatheartednesses) and remain NONDEROGATORINESSES. In the scheme of everything happening in this world, this list isn't probably worth a UNDECILLIONSEDECILLIARDTH but it was kinda fun to do it.

Comment

Not fond of marshmallows, either. Smores, yes. I do not understand Peeps at all.

My mind is stroaming at work today, so I've been playing a few boards while I'm eating my lunch. I found TROGLODYTE, which is neither strange nor bizarre, and only unexpected in that I figured out how to spell it. Y, not I.
                              I used to LOVE Chocolate flavored Peeps. I'd roast them over a fire just like marshmallows & they'd burn & get all gooey and the extra sugar would make them oh so delicious. It was a smore w/o the additional chocolate & graham cracker all in one. Course once I became allergic to eggs, alas those days are over & are just a fantastic memory.

Comment

• A couple from two different games.

BACKSHEESH and BACKSHEESHING in one game: a rare variant spelling of BAKSHEESH/BAKSHEESHING.

RABONA/RABONAS on another board: the only reason I know the term is from spending a lot of time playing soccer with Spanish speakers. The "rabona" is a trick where the ball is struck with the kicking foot crossed behind the planted foot. I was honestly surprised that it scored points in this game.

Comment

Working...
                                X