No announcement yet.

Observation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lol, this is refreshingly light-hearted. On the other forum I mentioned, reputation points were taken ridiculously seriously. It's nice that here it's just for fun. Of course, the forum I described was a very different place ... we all cyber-knew each other quite well and could probably rattle off a whole lot of details like where posters lived, what they did for work, marital status, children, etc. I'm not sure why that made the situation more competitive but it did.

Comment

Originally posted by Arabesque View Post
      Lol, this is refreshingly light-hearted. On the other forum I mentioned, reputation points were taken ridiculously seriously. It's nice that here it's just for fun. Of course, the forum I described was a very different place ... we all cyber-knew each other quite well and could probably rattle off a whole lot of details like where posters lived, what they did for work, marital status, children, etc. I'm not sure why that made the situation more competitive but it did.
      I think it matters WHO are the people participating. I'm not very competitive, so if I lose its not such a big issue, my life existence isn't over; to me, its just a game. Some people are nuts about always winning, they must be THE BEST @ everything so maybe those were the kinds of people you were interacting with on the other site. So glad here its NOT that way. Lighthearted is much better. There's so many other things in the world to be overwhelmed about, playing & doing well on a game site isn't one of them.

I still want to do well & improve, don't get me wrong, its just not the most important thing going on in my life. I come here for fun & I suspect so do so many other members. Its fun to challenge myself to learn new words so I can communicate more effectively in my life. I don't know how many times I've wanted to explain something & I either didn't have the right word or (more recently) can't think of it when its needed. I'm hoping a larger vocabulary would help me out of these situations.
      Last edited by 2cute; 08-15-2021, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
        Not to be a buzzkill, but I suspect that Stephen tweaked some of those default forum parameters. Nevertheless, I'm enjoying my new orange bars (whether they're "pity" bars or not).
        Me too!

Comment

no buzzkill! we've just been liking you...a lot.

Comment

I still remember 25 years ago when a clever participant of a lighthearted web community launched "GimmeMyStars" topic shortly after the webmasters implemented reputation star icons. Their rule was that everyone had to like every post. That popular topic had many top-rated posts on the site thereafter.

Comment

Has anyone else notice that when this game wants to kick your butt it can do quite a reputable job?

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post
                Has anyone else notice that when this game wants to kick your butt it can do quite a reputable job?
                Yep, just had a couple of really hard puzzles. So I switched it up & came to read some comments. Ahh, feel much better.

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
                  no buzzkill! we've just been liking you...a lot.

THANK YOU * THANK YOU * THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!

Rain over me! It feels fantastic!

Comment

Looks like we're both up to six--race you to 10!

Comment

Originally posted by RussDNails View Post
                      Looks like we're both up to six--race you to 10!
                      If I say what I want to say, I'll sound like Eeyore. But it would be silly. I never noticed the bars, not ever, and I've been on here for seven years, I think. They didn't mean anything to me then, so they don't mean anything to me now. I'm here for the games. And they're good.

Comment

Come to think of it, the title of this thread is perfect. On August 6th, my wife and I celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary. On the ninth, she had a pacemaker installed. There were complications, so it took nearly three hours and wasn't fully done -- but was done enough to help (two out of three leads implanted). She is still going strong, and I am doing more of the work than usual, including basically all the cooking and cleaning and everything else. So if you're wondering why I'm not playing so many games, now you know. But I enjoy the site and the people I feel I know (even though I don't really know you and probably never will). Bars? Feh! The game's afoot!

Comment

After wandering aimlessly through the desert for a day and a half; not getting anything going, even on "sweet" grids, I broke free. Today, I ripped off four very good games in a row, and I was starting to feel my oats. Then, before I could completely handle the aforementioned grains, the bottom dropped out. Much like canned goods through the bottom of a wet paper sack in the grocery parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
                            Come to think of it, the title of this thread is perfect. On August 6th, my wife and I celebrated our 55th wedding anniversary. On the ninth, she had a pacemaker installed. There were complications, so it took nearly three hours and wasn't fully done -- but was done enough to help (two out of three leads implanted). She is still going strong, and I am doing more of the work than usual, including basically all the cooking and cleaning and everything else. So if you're wondering why I'm not playing so many games, now you know. But I enjoy the site and the people I feel I know (even though I don't really know you and probably never will). Bars? Feh! The game's afoot!
                            I completely understand, I'm a caregiver as well. Yet it is because I am one that allows me the time to participate.

Congrats on your 55 years together! She's so lucky to have you. A person she obviously loves, to care for all her needs rather than hiring a stranger to eat up your savings. Apparently you don't need to participate too often, just when you're able. It seems as long as you participate in all aspects of the site (playing games AND the forum including liking peoples thoughts, in a sense joining the community of players), that is enough. As far as I can see, you already have done that.

Comment

8 bars, damn........you're going to have to change your name to "2popular"

Comment

Not meaning to dampen the euphoria here but are we certain the forum rep bars are working properly? At 100 pts/bar that's a LOT of points to rack up in a few days. Although this forum is an improvement in some ways over the old one, there are still problems. For instance, if I edit a post once or twice it's usually flagged as spam and can't be seen.

Comment

Working...
                                X