Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unique Words I've Learned

While reading Naboka's 'The Madness of It All' I realized I've learned a lot of new words, yet since I don't write them down, alas, I've forgotten them. So I thought why not create an area where we can state new words we've learned and their meanings. Then later when we've forgotten them, we can come back and easily find them here. Then not only can we remember new words we've learned, we can also learn new words that other members have learned as well. Sounds like a win win (my favorite outcome).

So here's a perfect example. I've looked up this word before and forgotten it.

Suq or Souq = Noun. A street market, particularly in Arabic and Somali speaking countries; a place where people buy and sell goods; a bazaar.

Add suk and souk to suq.

Comment

I took a table in a suk to sup on a sav. I used a bap to sorb its juices. I was entertained by a saz and oud duo playing a sprightly rai. All while admiring an oont that was tied to a doum.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyb View Post
        I took a table in a suk to sup on a sav. I used a bap to sorb its juices. I was entertained by a saz and oud duo playing a sprightly rai. All while admiring an oont that was tied to a doum.
        We need a laugh button. Thumbs up is simply inadequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Naboka View Post
          Add suk and souk to suq.
          Cool, alternative spellings, same meaning!

SAV = the value of a stock before close of business? Or stock @ Valuation? That doesn't seem to fit your use of the word. Hmm ...
          Bap = a Scottish soft bread roll often dusted with flour and eaten for breakfast.
          Saz (British English) = any of a group of Middle Eastern plucked stringed instruments resembling the lute.
          Oud (this one I knew) = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMhp0wAQni8
          Rai = A form of popular Algerian music combining traditional Arabic vocal styles with various elements of popular Western music and featuring outspoken, often controversial lyrics.
          oont = an attractive camel (right, not just any old one, its especially an attractive one ... LOL).
          doum = palm tree in Africa that creates a fruit that looks and tastes like gingerbread.

Educational AND Entertaining!

Originally posted by Naboka View Post

We need a laugh button. Thumbs up is simply inadequate.
          Absolutely! ​ Here's to more emoticons!

Comment

a sav, in local parlance, is short for saveloy, mini frankfurter, lil' weiner....

"Oont, a camel, an attractive camel, Rai a drop of golden sun, (or not!) Doum a palm tree fruiting gingerbread, Bap, the breakfast of a Scot, Sav, a hot dog that got shrunk, Saz , a lute that's not a lute, Oud, just click on the link, and that brings us back to Oont!". Seeee! it would be easier if there was a laugh button, and maybe a treble clef....

Comment

Originally posted by floppers View Post
              a sav, in local parlance, is short for saveloy, mini frankfurter, lil' weiner....

"Oont, a camel, an attractive camel, Rai a drop of golden sun, (or not!) Doum a palm tree fruiting gingerbread, Bap, the breakfast of a Scot, Sav, a hot dog that got shrunk, Saz , a lute that's not a lute, Oud, just click on the link, and that brings us back to Oont!". Seeee! it would be easier if there was a laugh button, and maybe a treble clef....
              ROFLMAO .... Excellent the 'Do-Re-Mi' Wordtwist version ...

Found some ... How about these ... Ooo, this one is a laugh ...

Sample A Sample B

I wonder how this will come out ...

Comment

I always wondered about oont. Why an especially attractive or handsome camel? Turns out that for sacrificial purposes you don't want to sacrifice a scraggly three legged camel you need good looking camel. So an oont would be a sacrificial worthy animal.

Comment

I always wondered about oont. Why an especially attractive or handsome camel? Turns out that for sacrificial purposes you don't want to sacrifice a scraggly three legged camel you need good looking camel. So an oont would be a sacrificial worthy animal.
                  The logic of man must be a continuous source of amusement for the gods.

Comment

Here are a bunch of words with "yte."

They're easy to overlook, like berries hiding in the bush, trying not to get eaten by a beare.

Oh, wait, a beare is a burden not an animal.

Goodbye berries.

byte: sequence of 8 bits

cyte: city

gyte: delerioius, senselessly extravagant

hyte: insane, mad

kyte: stomach

lyte: to dismount

tyte: at once

wyte: to blame, reproach, censure

Comment

Adding that extra "e."

I'm not a linguist, so the definitions aren't precise. But, the points are bountiful. And the satisfaction of finding these common gems not dissimilar to biting into an almond embedded in your chocolate-almond ice cream. A bunch of crunch with your munch.

Beare: burden

deare: obsolete for dear, also to dere or hurt, harm, injure

feare: obsolete for fear. Also a fere or companion, mate, friend, spouse.

geare: to jeer

heare: obsolete for hear. Also hair

leare: to teach

meare: obsolete for mere and mare. Also, bound as in boundary or some type of measure. (hard to figure out exactly what those old sentences mean: "...or els half a meare on the one side of the.."

peare: equal or peer

seare: sere or withered or dried out

steare: to guide

teare: obsolete for tear

yeare: obsolete for year

Comment

Thanks Naboka for both the yte and extra 'e' hidden berries in the puzzle.

Comment

Ahhh, yes, the strongest or best (or tamest as in dogs or cats) to continue the species ... yet to sacrifice ... I think it would make more sense to chose the worst as those genes won't carry on to the next generations.

Comment

I am guessing that what ever favor you are trying curry with a deity, it is probably in your best interest to sacrifice a "worthy" animal.

Comment

I learned this one years ago while playing Boggle the old-fashioned way:

IOTACISM - excessive use of the letter iota

It's more interesting in my imagination than in reality: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iotacism

Comment

Working...
                              X