No announcement yet.

Unique Words I've Learned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I admit that when I mentioned hagfish a mental picture emerged of them boring into a whale carcass en masse, as they are wont to do, a sort of interpenetrating, if you will . I'm pretty sure I first learned of them yrs ago on improbable.com. (They award Ig Nobel trophies every year. Many are hilarious and I find it astounding that people can obtain grants for such things. My fave was when an international study, including a Canadian, published a paper on herring farting to communicate with each other. It was entitled, "It's Windy Down There." lol Ladies you may find it useful to know that 1 of this year's winners invented a bra that can be converted into a face mask. Never know when that could come in handy these days.) Back to hagfish: they can produce copious amounts of slime (aka mucus) in no time when they feel threatened. I saw a video of 1 guy holding one and it filled a 5 gallon bucket in what seemed less than a minute. In the award he received, a scientist believed the hagfish slime could be used to make blue jeans. Are there hagfish farms in our future? Will there be conversations like, "Oh, I love your new jeans!" "Thanks. They're genuine hagfish."

Comment

• Well, now I know. more about hagfish than I think I really needed to...google can be a dangerous tool.

Naboka, I believe you are more like nacre (mother-of-pearl) than you are a hookah-smoking caterpillar. Beg pardon.

This is hardly INTERPENETRATING, but a few years ago, I made my first-ever post to the forum because I'd found the word INTERCOURSE -- in a game that had been played 26 previous times. I thought that was kinda funny. I don't recall getting a single response, so I did not post again for a very long time. I wondered if I'd crossed a line or something. Please note that it's the name of a town in Lancaster County, PA, an area where I used to go to visit relatives, so the word is familiar to me as a town. I'm not much of one to point out such things, so posting that also used up my courage about a year. Social anxiety, general anxiety, OCD, agoraphobia, general shyness -- I'm your girl. I am sure I will post this and go into hiding for at least a week.

So, everyone, please have a good week. I will make an exception if I find another word as fun as OREOLOGY or SEPHULCHRUING.

I hope I do not dream of hagfish tonight.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
        Well, now I know. more about hagfish than I think I really needed to...google can be a dangerous tool.

Naboka, I believe you are more like nacre (mother-of-pearl) than you are a hookah-smoking caterpillar. Beg pardon.

This is hardly INTERPENETRATING, but a few years ago, I made my first-ever post to the forum because I'd found the word INTERCOURSE -- in a game that had been played 26 previous times. I thought that was kinda funny. I don't recall getting a single response, so I did not post again for a very long time. I wondered if I'd crossed a line or something. Please note that it's the name of a town in Lancaster County, PA, an area where I used to go to visit relatives, so the word is familiar to me as a town. I'm not much of one to point out such things, so posting that also used up my courage about a year. Social anxiety, general anxiety, OCD, agoraphobia, general shyness -- I'm your girl. I am sure I will post this and go into hiding for at least a week.

So, everyone, please have a good week. I will make an exception if I find another word as fun as OREOLOGY or SEPHULCHRUING.

I hope I do not dream of hagfish tonight.
        Babe,

I think you're selling yourself short.

All things being relative, you're relatively outgoing and social. By far.

Consider how many people play this game, and how many engage in conversations.

That no one responds to what we post doesn't mean it isn't being read, isn't being appreciated, isn't being accepted.

When I was on social media, friends and acquaintances would tell me in person how much they liked what I posted. The frequency of these encounters made me wonder. I had no idea that they did because they never commented or hit the "like" button. But, they were part of this phantom audience. A relatively large audience. A majority.

Like the Phantom of The Opera, except the Phantom of The Internet.

Seats filled with ghosts whose applause remains silent, but ghosts who enjoy coming to the play to watch the actors.

So, when it's our turn to say our lines in the play, failing to speak leaves an emptiness against which the other actors can't react.

Silence ensues.

And the phantom audience drifts away...

to find another play.

Your lines are yours,

lines only you can say.

Comment

• Well said as usual, Naboka.

Today I was surprised when PULVERABLENESSES was accepted. I thought it would be too much of a truncation of PULVERIZE. Upon further investigation, I learned that PULVER is a verb in its own right. It means the same: to reduce to a powder. Learn something every day on this website.

currerbell, I also saw INTERCOURSE on a 4x4 board but didn't play it because I knew it is too common to score the pts I wanted. Even if it had been, I wouldn't have played out of concern for what others might think. So you are bolder than me! I hope you didn't have nightmares of hagfish either. They can't harm us on dry land and can only affect us with their revolting appearance and characteristics, which is why I chose not to post a pic of them.
          Last edited by lalatan; 09-24-2021, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
            Even if it had been, I wouldn't have played out of concern for what others might think. So you are bolder than me! I hope you didn't have nightmares of hagfish either. They can't harm us on dry land and can only affect us with their revolting appearance and characteristics, which is why I chose not to post a pic of them.
            Well, I also found CONDOMS yesterday, I am embarrassed as to what people must think of me now. Unfortunately, I let the timer run out, and it wound up being the longest word. There were some 8+ words available to be found, so I am hopeful someone will erase that record.

Occasionally, I play words because of an assocation I have with them that I don't think is the real definition. I just now looked up ALF, which I remember as being a tv show way back, which seemed so silly I never watched it -- a sitcom about a furry alien. I figured ALF was some sort of plant thing (thinking of alfalfa, to be obvious) or slang or something. Well, ALF is "an uncultivated Australian," but that's definition #4. Definition #1 was "Initialism. Alien Life Form (TV series)." Life is just full of surprises.

Oh, and lalatan, hagfish can harm us on dry land., at least in Oregon, if a truck carrying hagfish from a hagfish fishery on their way to dinner plates in Korea tips over after being involved in a 5-car crash on the highway. They could slime your Prius.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post

Always interesting how people see you. We tend to be different things to different people, mostly dependent on their perceptions rather than us as a reality.

But, in truth, a society needs conservatives to hold order, while it needs liberals to envision a new and better future. The joke is that most of the things conservatives hold dear came about because liberals of the past brought it into existence.
              Absolutely. Balance in all things is not only relative, its the ideal standard.

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
                I edited this post 1 too many times and it became flagged as spam.
                I've found if you go into your own profile & edit your comment from that location rather than here in the forum, it is possible to edit your statement & have it be corrected & NOT become spam. It might be a glitch, yet @ least we can edit.
                I have this problem, the browser or the forum wherever auto corrects my words (& sometimes spacing as well). So I'll say 'I saw that songbird'. It auto corrects it to be 'I say that songbird'. I really find that irritating. I wish I could turn it off. Yet I don't know how. Anyhow when I've read back my statement its fine then that sneaky auto correct shows up & ruins my thoughts for me.

Maybe that's what's happening to you too.

Last edited by 2cute; 09-25-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post

Well, I also found CONDOMS yesterday, I am embarrassed as to what people must think of me now. Unfortunately, I let the timer run out, and it wound up being the longest word. There were some 8+ words available to be found, so I am hopeful someone will erase that record.

Occasionally, I play words because of an assocation I have with them that I don't think is the real definition. I just now looked up ALF, which I remember as being a tv show way back, which seemed so silly I never watched it -- a sitcom about a furry alien. I figured ALF was some sort of plant thing (thinking of alfalfa, to be obvious) or slang or something. Well, ALF is "an uncultivated Australian," but that's definition #4. Definition #1 was "Initialism. Alien Life Form (TV series)." Life is just full of surprises.

Oh, and lalatan, hagfish can harm us on dry land., at least in Oregon, if a truck carrying hagfish from a hagfish fishery on their way to dinner plates in Korea tips over after being involved in a 5-car crash on the highway. They could slime your Prius.
                  Lol, I'll have to watch out for tank trunks while driving the highways here on Vancouver Island, just in case. I'm occasionally concerned about a load of logs unloading on me while passing logging trucks but haven't heard of any such incidents (steel pipes but not logs). I was unaware that hagfish are savored in Korea. It's truly amazing what is consumed in Asian cuisine. There's a saying, "I'd eat the butt end off a skunk." indicating that either a person has eclectic tastes in food or they are extremely hungry. In Asian cuisine I would not be surprised..
                  I knew ALF was an acronym for alien life form (think I heard the Aussie one too) and agree that the show was too stupid to continue watching.

Yesterday I found TRANSPENETRATIONS (a first for me) for 32 pts/2 records but turned it down. Didn't want to even know the definition.

Originally posted by 2cute View Post
                  I've found if you go into your own profile & edit your comment from that location rather than here in the forum, it is possible to edit your statement & have it be corrected & NOT become spam. It might be a glitch, yet @ least we can edit...
                  Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try in the future. I don't think autocorrect is the culprit for spelling/grammar errors, just me. One of my favorite memes says, "Autocorrect can go straight to he'll!"

Comment

• Here's an interesting word I've never seen but seems to have all sorts of uses that can develop.

munge: 1. Verb. (transitive computing) To transform data in an undefined or unexplained manner.

2. Verb. (transitive computing) To add a spamblock to (an email address).

3. Verb. (transitive genealogy) To corrupt a record about an individual by erroneously merging in information about another individual.

It seem to have the meaning of corrupting information about an individual or situation. Either intentionally or unintentionally. Since the internet is rife with examples of this in politics, advertisements and in social media, having this word in your arsenal might come in handy.

I would foresee its meaning evolving.

Comment

• When I was in high school about 60 years ago, "mung" had a similar meaning. To mung something up (or to simply mung it) meant to make a mess of it. This was, I believe, back in the days before UNIX, but the word was defined through its first initials as "Mung Until No Good". Mung also has a perfectly innocent meaning, being the name of a kind of bean.

Comment

• Originally posted by Naboka View Post
                        Here's an interesting word I've never seen but seems to have all sorts of uses that can develop.

munge: 1. Verb. (transitive computing) To transform data in an undefined or unexplained manner.

2. Verb. (transitive computing) To add a spamblock to (an email address).

3. Verb. (transitive genealogy) To corrupt a record about an individual by erroneously merging in information about another individual.

It seem to have the meaning of corrupting information about an individual or situation. Either intentionally or unintentionally. Since the internet is rife with examples of this in politics, advertisements and in social media, having this word in your arsenal might come in handy.

I would foresee its meaning evolving.
                        Good word. Thanks for sharing it.

Comment

• Found 2 new ones:

Dort = to sulk

and

Quirt = 1. Noun. Whip with a leather thong at the end.
                          2. A rawhide whip plaited with two thongs of buffalo hide. ¹(1922 reference)
                          3. Verb. To strike with a quirt (riding whip).
                          ​​​​​
                          Last edited by 2cute; 10-01-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
                            Didn't know UNIQUER was really a word
                            My favorite comparative that I've seen in this game is ZINCIER.

Comment

• Originally posted by DrPlacebo View Post

My favorite comparative that I've seen in this game is ZINCIER.
                              Course Zincier isn't considered an actual word (https://www.wordunscrambler.net/word-meaning/zincier) as is Uniquer, and yet; its a few company names.

There's
                              (a) https://www.uniquer.art/ Which is a website that sells art by many artists.
                              (b) http://uniquer-water.com/ Which is a water treatment plant in Myanmar.
                              (c) http://uniquer.ch/ Which Is an IT company in Switzerland.
                              (d) https://uniquer.it/ Which is a marketing company for commercial real estate in Italy.

Comment

• I haven't had much to add to this board lately, but tonight I found a short-and-odd:

PIUM - a Brazilian biting fly. Otherwise known as a blackfly, which apparently feed on blood. They do not drink ... wine.

Comment

Working...
                                X