Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
    STROAMED. (14 pts, 8 letters)

To STROAM is to wander about idly or vacantly. It is apparently obsolete, at least in a UK dialect.

I think it is time to pull it out of obsoletion and start using it again.

It is the perfect Monday morning word.

I am going to go into the office and STROAM about until the inevitable Monday morning crisis appears.

Monday mornings find me STROAMING about my home, wondering where my weekend went.
    For some reason the word evokes shrooms. Like someone wandering idly while on shrooms.

Comment

• Originally posted by currerbell View Post
      STROAMED. (14 pts, 8 letters)

To STROAM is to wander about idly or vacantly. It is apparently obsolete, at least in a UK dialect.

I think it is time to pull it out of obsoletion and start using it again.

It is the perfect Monday morning word.

I am going to go into the office and STROAM about until the inevitable Monday morning crisis appears.

Monday mornings find me STROAMING about my home, wondering where my weekend went.
      I love not only did you find the meaning, you used it in a sentence. I think it would be easy to remember as it has 'roam' in the middle of it.

I Stroam when I've walked into a room & have forgotten why I came.

Comment

• I like the "stroaming" word too.

Today I found PHYTOPLANKTERS (27/14) for the first time. After seeing PHYTOPLANK- I thought the word would be PHYTOPLANKTON but it wasn't there. I thought I'd try the plankters option but decided to attempt PHYTOPLANKETTES first: no go. Interestingly, the previous record holder had found PLANKTERS for 19 pts.

The M-W definition is a phytoplanktonic plant.

Comment

• So do the rest of you actually know the names of high numbers that we're being given now, or like me do you just figure them out? I'm so thrilled that I've finally found a use for my four years of high school Latin! I'm also excited that I found quinquaquadragintilliard all by myself in a brand new game today.

Comment

• Originally posted by mdyak View Post
            So do the rest of you actually know the names of high numbers that we're being given now, or like me do you just figure them out? I'm so thrilled that I've finally found a use for my four years of high school Latin! I'm also excited that I found quinquaquadragintilliard all by myself in a brand new game today.
            Wow, that is amazing! Congrats.

What do you mean by names of the high numbers?

Comment

• Originally posted by lalatan View Post
              I like the "stroaming" word too.

Today I found PHYTOPLANKTERS (27/14) for the first time. After seeing PHYTOPLANK- I thought the word would be PHYTOPLANKTON but it wasn't there. I thought I'd try the plankters option but decided to attempt PHYTOPLANKETTES first: no go. Interestingly, the previous record holder had found PLANKTERS for 19 pts.

The M-W definition is a phytoplanktonic plant.
              Sounds like a green cocktail.

Comment

So do the rest of you actually know the names of high numbers that we're being given now, or like me do you just figure them out? I'm so thrilled that I've finally found a use for my four years of high school Latin! I'm also excited that I found quinquaquadragintilliard all by myself in a brand new game today.
                Congrats. (I'm a little confused though since I know you found a 52-point long number last August.) I never memorized the long number names. I definitely didn't use any knowledge of Latin. (Learning French in school was torture enough for me.) I just read the words once a day for a while, became familiar with the prefixes I didn't already know and the root words. I guess I "know the names" from seeing and playing them.
                Last edited by lalatan; 10-16-2021, 03:56 PM.

Comment

Congrats. (I'm a little confused though since I know you found a 52-point long number last August.) I never memorized the long number names. I definitely didn't use any knowledge of Latin. (Learning French in school was torture enough for me.) I just read the words once a day for a while, became familiar with the prefixes I didn't already know and the root words. I guess I "know the names" from seeing and playing them.
                  Yes, I have found a number of them - have a couple this month too. What I mean about the Latin is that several times now I found these words that I have not seen before, but I'm able to piece them together because I recognize pieces like quattuor or quadra or sesqui from all those years of Latin. There's only 25 letters on the board so only so many pieces that do have to fit together somehow. What they actually mean, though?... got me. I just know it's a lot of big numbers.

Comment

Yes, I have found a number of them - have a couple this month too. What I mean about the Latin is that several times now I found these words that I have not seen before, but I'm able to piece them together because I recognize pieces like quattuor or quadra or sesqui from all those years of Latin. There's only 25 letters on the board so only so many pieces that do have to fit together somehow. What they actually mean, though?... got me. I just know it's a lot of big numbers.
                    Too funny! A couple of minutes after I wrote the above note to you, I landed on a game you had played and found Quinquaseptuagintilliard that I had never seen before... like I said, just pieced it together.

Comment

Too funny! A couple of minutes after I wrote the above note to you, I landed on a game you had played and found Quinquaseptuagintilliard that I had never seen before... like I said, just pieced it together.
                      I just have to ask: Was it possible to put a "ths" on the end of that monster? And Mdyak, I also had Latin in High School, but only two years. Then we moved and the new school didn't offer Latin. However, I remember the beginning of "Braveheart" where the priest is saying a bunch of things in Latin, and I understood every word of it -- even after all those years! And "Gladiator", too, though a lot of that was the kind of rough speech not taught in Latin classes, so I had to guess their meanings from surrounding words and context. I have to think they simplified that stuff, though, because a lot of us old-time nerds learned at least some Latin. So they tossed us a bone.

Comment

• Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post

I just have to ask: Was it possible to put a "ths" on the end of that monster? And Mdyak, I also had Latin in High School, but only two years. Then we moved and the new school didn't offer Latin. However, I remember the beginning of "Braveheart" where the priest is saying a bunch of things in Latin, and I understood every word of it -- even after all those years! And "Gladiator", too, though a lot of that was the kind of rough speech not taught in Latin classes, so I had to guess their meanings from surrounding words and context. I have to think they simplified that stuff, though, because a lot of us old-time nerds learned at least some Latin. So they tossed us a bone.
                        Nope, not possible to put ths on the end of it, especially as it's already 24 letters and that would make a very strange looking 27 letter board! Mostly, if lalatan has already played the board, it's not real likely that you're going to get more out of it than he got! Though it has happened maybe all of 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years.

Good on you for picking up Latin in Braveheart! I don't think I have that facility. Much better with words on a page.

Comment

...Mostly, if lalatan has already played the board, it's not real likely that you're going to get more out of it than he got! Though it has happened maybe all of 3 or 4 times in the last 10 years. ...
                          For the first 9 months of this year, I set 8,619 best/longest word records and lost 474 of them, an attrition rate of 5.5%. Although I've worked hard to prevent such losses, my records are far from unassailable (I felt an urge to add -nesses to that but resisted. Old habits are hard to break.) I'm certain if I only played 26+ pt words that rate would drop significantly. But there are too many records to be had and interesting words to find worth <26 pts so I put up with it.

Comment

(I felt an urge to add -nesses to that but resisted.
                            You're inspiring me to be more persistentnesses!

Comment

• mdyak, I will add on to, but not outdo, your persistentnesses....

I just found PARTICPANTLY, which is apparently an adverb and means "In a participant manner; so as to take part." (Yeah, right, I heard that word all through college, sure....)

So, maybe you are being inspired to more participantly persistentnesses. (Of course, in the real world, adverbs don't generally modify nouns, but we are in wordtwist.)

I think that persistentnesses is a noun., isn't it?

Did anyone else hear that funny clonk-clonk-thud sound just now? And is anyone smelling some smoke?

I think I just broke my brain.
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-18-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

• No, your brain has supermegaunbrokenfulabilitinesses.

Comment

Working...
                                X