Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toeprint
    replied
    "People might not get all they work for in this world, but they must certainly work for all they get."
    — Frederick Douglass

bansaisequoia
    November 15, 2010, 5:13 am
    It seems odd that this would be said by a man who escaped from enslavement. Would he not have been held in bondage by people who did not work for all they have?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Drink your tea slowly and reverently, as if it is the axis on which the world earth revolves - slowly, evenly, without rushing toward the future."
    — Thich Nhat Hanh

bansaisequoia
    April 25, 2011, 7:20 am
    I'd rather chug my beer quickly, since the Earth is revolving around the sun at about 107,000 kilometers per hour. Did you have any idea you were moving so fast? Even more mind boggling, is to think that the Solar System is moving at approximately 900,000 kilometers per hour around the Milky Way Galaxy. And I won't even get into how fast the Milky Way is moving through our local cluster. Of course, it's all relative.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Beware the pull on your heartstrings - it's often the purse strings that are actually being reached for."
    — Barbara Mikkelson

silveryaspen
    May 11, 2009, 1:57 pm
    so is it money, not love, that really makes the world go round?
    bansaisequoia
    January 20, 2010, 6:36 pm
    That's how the song goes. (link) [ Note: Original link doesn't work, try this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8P80A8vy9I ]

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Racism, pollution and the rest of it are themselves very close to extinction."
    — R. Buckminster Fuller

bansaisequoia
    February 11, 2011, 2:48 am
    Hopefully, they're close to extinction, or the human race may well be so.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Relentless, repetitive self talk is what changes our self-image. "
    — Denis Waitley

bansaisequoia
    October 22, 2009, 6:45 pm
    I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The faces that have charmed us the most escape us the soonest. "
    — Sir Walter Scott

bansaisequoia
    August 29, 2009, 1:29 am
    "The charms of the passing woman are generally in direct proportion to the swiftness of her passing."--Marcel Proust

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "It is impossible that had Buonaparte descended from a race of vegetable feeders that he could have had either the inclination or the power to ascend the throne of the Bourbons. "
    — Percy Bysshe Shelley

katieftw
    December 30, 2009, 12:13 am
    The Italian spelling of "Buonaparte" threw me off - is it more standard to use the English spelling "Bonaparte" or am I being an ignorant American (I'm willing to admit that often am quite ignorant).
    Lurker
    December 31, 2009, 1:35 am
    If it is from a written work, they're probably copying the spelling exactly.
    bansaisequoia
    March 13, 2010, 8:06 pm
    Buonaparte was his name at birth. When I read "War & Peace," they used this spelling. (link)
    cheryljean777
    May 27, 2011, 2:15 pm
    Never mind the spelling. What the heck does this even mean?
    pootie49
    July 9, 2011, 3:37 pm
    plain speaking, he is dissing bonapartes family heritage. sort of like a yo mama joke. but in ye olde language.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Marriage is not just spiritual communion, it is also remembering to take out the trash."
    — Joyce Brothers

bansaisequoia
    September 19, 2012, 6:38 pm
    If I dated Joyce Brothers, would I be taking out the trash?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies."
    — Sarah Palin

jbb33054
    October 14, 2011, 10:43 pm
    Isn't it strange how the media jumps all over a mistake like this, but for the most part ignored Obama saying he visited 57 states!!!
    bansaisequoia
    February 16, 2012, 9:52 pm
    How did you know about Obama saying he visited 57 states if it wasn't in the media? Were you actually there? (Oh, wait. It was in the media.) Here's the actual slip-up: (link)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "If something happened along the route and you had to leave your children with Bob Dole or Bill Clinton, I think you would probably leave them with Bob Dole."
    — Bob Dole

bansaisequoia
    May 3, 2010, 10:29 pm
    I don't know about that. I saw your Pepsi commercial with Britney Spears, Bob Dole.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The bicycle, the bicycle surely, should always be the vehicle of novelists and poets."
    — Christopher Morley

abra
    June 27, 2017, 6:14 pm
    And bansai, we'e seen bits of his poetry. Is he a novelist as well?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force. "
    — Dorothy Parker

bansaisequoia
    September 3, 2009, 6:11 pm
    I'd use a catapult for "Atlas Shrugged," or "Battlefield Earth."

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "We must get the American public to look past the glitter, beyond the showmanship, to the reality, the hard substance of things. "
    — Mario M. Cuomo

bansaisequoia
    May 2, 2010, 4:21 am
    Wasn't he the Governor of the state with the Jumbotron in Times Square?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Don't forget that the flavors of wine and cheese depend upon the types of infecting microorganisms."
    — Martin H. Fischer

bansaisequoia
    December 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
    If you eat meat, fruits and vegetables, you're eating organisms. What's so unappetizing about microorganisms?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "A good meal ought to begin with hunger. "
    — Proverb

bansaisequoia
    August 27, 2011, 12:12 am
    What about apéritif, canapé [sic], soup and salad?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X