Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I say on the air all the time, "if you take what I say as gospel, you're an idiot.""
    — Glenn Beck

bansaisequoia
    March 29, 2011, 8:54 pm
    That's the most clever quote I've ever seen from him.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation."
    — Pierre Elliott Trudeau

nelnose
    October 11, 2010, 8:19 pm
    Here comes the Tea party.
    bansaisequoia
    March 7, 2011, 8:43 pm
    And the Tea Party is hosted by a Mad Hatter.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "An affair wants to spill, to share its glory with the world. No act is so private it does not seek applause. "
    — John Updike

bansaisequoia
    December 3, 2011, 7:41 pm
    John Updike's middle name was his mother's maiden name. His mother was a Hoyer.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I've never seen a smiling face that was not beautiful."
    — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
    September 4, 2011, 9:10 pm
    (link)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I'm proud to be paying taxes in the United States. The only thing is - I could be just as proud for half the money."
    — Arthur Godfrey

bansaisequoia
    October 20, 2012, 6:23 pm
    Mitt Romney is proud to be paying half the money. And that's just in the one year he's revealed.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I think that people want peace so much that one of these days government had better get out of their way and let them have it."
    — Dwight Eisenhower

eoerikson3
    May 5, 2009, 8:04 am
    Too many people on the planet that are complacent with the feeling that you can't fight city hall will prevent the revolution that is needed. The government is too big to fight now.
    bansaisequoia
    June 21, 2009, 1:23 am
    They are not complacent with a feeling that you can't fight City Hall; they are sullenly resigned. The money and power to influence the masses always seems to go to the wrong people.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Motherhood is a wonderful thing - what a pity to waste it on children."
    — Judith Pugh

bansaisequoia
    March 26, 2011, 3:36 am
    That seems kind of bi-polar.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Somehow a bachelor never quite gets over the idea that he is a thing of beauty and a boy forever. "
    — Helen Rowland

bansaisequoia
    April 15, 2012, 4:09 pm
    But I'm working on it.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The man ignorant of mathematics will be increasingly limited in his grasp of the main forces of civilization."
    — John Kemeny

bansaisequoia
    July 25, 2014, 9:13 am
    John Kemeny? Wasn't he the guy who was shot from that book suppository or Grassy Moll or wherever?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."
    — Ray Douglas Bradbury

bansaisequoia
    November 9, 2012, 11:08 pm
    If the writing comes from a condensed book, it's like it came from a distillery, and you get even drunker.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Never love anything that can't love you back."
    — Bruce Williams

bansaisequoia
    January 18, 2011, 10:38 pm
    Not even Debussy CDs or Justice League comic books?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I have a simple philosophy. Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. And scratch where it itches."
    — Alice Roosevelt Longworth

bansaisequoia
    January 12, 2010, 5:19 am
    In a 60 Minutes interview in 1974, she proudly told Eric Sevareid that she was a "hedonist." [as per wikipedia] That certainly goes along with the "scratch where it itches."

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Art is Art. Everything else is everything else."
    — Ad Reinhardt

CryptoBee
    October 12, 2018, 2:10 am
    If there is insufficient data and you set a new record, does that mean bansequoia hasn’t had a crack at it?
    kahvecowgirl
    March 11, 2019, 12:59 am
    Bansai seems to have gone missing. I hope he's doing ok, somewhere out there in the strange universe outside this site.
    crypto-yes
    September 12, 2019, 5:41 pm
    I noticed that too, kahvecowgirl. Wonder where he is...
    LLapp
    January 20, 2020, 11:53 pm
    So sad to read the concerned comments above. I also was worried about him for quite a while, before we found out that he'd died on Sept. 24, 2019, at age 57. (link)

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "The enjoyments of this life are not equal to its evils. "
    — Pliny the Elder

maradnu
    February 15, 2009, 9:02 pm
    That is depressing & cynical.
    bansaisequoia
    September 12, 2012, 9:29 pm
    He said they weren't equal. He didn't say the enjoyments didn't exceed the evils. The glass is completely full of water and air.
    themunchlet
    August 18, 2013, 4:29 am
    No, sorry, disagree with the interpretation above -- it truly is a depressing and cynical statement. I know this was written in Latin, not English, but the idiomatic meaning is clear: the enjoyments of this life are NOT EVEN EQUAL to its evils -- in other words, less than the evils. That's not the literal reading, true, but it is implied. And, as a rule, we understand language idiomatically, not literally. Sorry, Bansai.
    CarpeLanam
    October 23, 2020, 2:56 pm
    "Quid, quod bona malis paria non sunt etiam pari numero, nec laetitia ulla minimo maerore pensanda? Natural History 7:41. This was part of a larger philosophical point, that the best mortals can hope for is that they are not unhappy. Even the Thracians, he said, who would deposit a white or black stone in an urn every day, and then at the end of their life count to see if happy days outnumbered the unhappy, would be better if they accepted that no amount of happiness could outweigh even a little grief. It's typical of the Stoic philosophy of the Romans. Fame and fortune and long life are illusions; we must accept our fate with a calm mind and not be prone to extremes of emotion.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "In Seattle you haven't had enough coffee until you can thread a sewing machine while it's running."
    — Jeff Bezos

bansaisequoia
    October 17, 2014, 3:17 pm
    I drank so much coffee once, my tongue lapped the air between each flit of a hummingbird's wings. I also cleaned between the teeth of an operating radial saw at a sawmill.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X