• Show
Clear All

• Toeprint
    replied
    "I haven't lost my mind; I have a tape back-up somewhere."
    — Unattributed

bansaisequoia
    March 7, 2012, 7:44 pm
    Mine wouldn't fit on a spindle of 100 Blu-Ray-Rom, so I had to put it on a 750 yottabyte external drive. Talk about random access memory.
    bvwRedux
    March 14, 2012, 1:21 am
    Just a flash drive or cloud storage these days. My mind either flashes or is in the cloud.
    montyb
    June 5, 2012, 3:12 pm
    Chiseled in stone is fine for me. For those who were wondering, the metric prefix "yotta" means that you multiply the given number by 10 to the 24th power. So for bansai, that would be 750 million, million, million, million bytes. Random Act of Memory.
    gryhnd51
    May 22, 2013, 6:03 am
    Ah, Bansai.....a brilliant mind and absolutely no humility.
    marnita
    June 28, 2015, 11:10 am
    I haven't lost my mind, but my memory isn't what it used to be - and it was never anything to brag about.
    marnita
    September 9, 2015, 6:03 am
    Bansai's comment, along with Monty's explanation, probably explains why Bansai holds so many records on this site.
    hrossa
    August 19, 2020, 10:20 am
    It doesn't make one Yotta of difference what we use for backup - the hardware we're installed on only has a lifetime warranty.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Your grandchildren will likely find it incredible - or even sinful - that you burned up a gallon of gasoline to fetch a pack of cigarettes."
    — Dr. Paul MacCready, Jr.

bansaisequoia
    December 26, 2009, 10:02 pm
    This is quite thought provoking. In the 1930s, if you had a craving for a cigarette at 3AM, you would have felt guilty for driving your 4-door Marmon Series 16 into the next county to buy a pack of cool, soothing Lucky Strikes unfiltered. Today, in the 21st Century, you'd feel guilty about driving your Prius 400 yards to the 7-11 to get Marlboro Ultra Lights. This is long after the Surgeon General's warning and the Kyoto Protocol on Global Warming. Makes ya think, doesn't it?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "In adversity remember to keep an even mind."
    — Horace

bansaisequoia
    January 24, 2012, 5:39 pm
    Not me. I have an odd mind.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
    — Don Hirschberg

bansaisequoia
    May 18, 2010, 12:25 am
    Yet it's exactly what established religions do when taking non-creationists to court over the teaching of evolution vs. creationism in public schools. They claim that anyone who opposes their belief that the Earth is only 6,000 years old belongs to a religion called "Secular Humanism."
    pootie49
    April 7, 2011, 2:55 am
    and as a secular humanist..bald is a hair colour.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Not eating meat is a decision, eating meat is an instinct."
    — Denis Leary

bansaisequoia
    June 26, 2010, 2:55 am
    Though eschewal of meat may not be my decision, I'm glad that humankind has evolved to a point where there is decision making, rather than innate, inbred qualities, which some might call instinct. I'm glad that people try to throw off these shackles.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Prepare for death, if here at night you roam, and sign your will before you sup from home. "
    — Samuel Johnson

bansaisequoia
    March 5, 2010, 9:02 pm
    "Prepare for death, if here at night you roam..." What neighborhood did he live in?

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "What can be added to the happiness of a man who is in health, out of debt, and has a clear conscience? "
    — Adam Smith

pootie49
    April 15, 2009, 4:21 pm
    A woman
    bansaisequoia
    October 25, 2009, 7:41 pm
    "A man needs a woman like a fish needs a bicycle."--Irina Dunn
    crossland68
    June 15, 2013, 4:45 pm
    The wrong woman can eliminate all three of those conditions!!!!
    cindidido
    May 17, 2014, 2:53 am
    The Irina Dunn quote is actually, "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle." It's not the other way around. Unless Bansai was being clever, which may be the case.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now. "
    — Martin Luther King Jr.

kat
    April 5, 2009, 4:42 pm
    But is it sinking?
    bansaisequoia
    March 26, 2010, 10:46 pm
    Half of us are doing the bailing, but the other half seem to want to scuttle it.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "A well-developed sense of humor is the pole that adds balance to your steps as you walk the tightrope of life."
    — William A. Ward

bansaisequoia
    May 4, 2010, 5:03 pm
    Yeah, I'm definitely Dennis Miller on the tightrope over the abyss as Zarathustra looks on.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything."
    — Frank Dane

opallady
    August 18, 2009, 12:29 pm
    That certainly explains a lot.
    bansaisequoia
    September 17, 2009, 1:46 am
    Even the Yoknapatawpha County Dog Catcher???

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Before a diamond shows its brilliancy and prismatic colors it has to stand a good deal of cutting and smoothing. "
    — Unattributed

abra
    August 18, 2015, 8:16 am
    When I was a newbie, here, I had this quote and asked for help on the chat box. I was pulling my hair out. Bansai, gave me the answer. I felt pretty silly, but I just couldn't come up with it. It must not be THAT hard almost a third of the people can get it. Funny, after all these years, I don't think I've had this one again, but I remembered BRILLIANCY.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Language ought to be the joint creation of poets and manual workers. "
    — George Orwell

bansaisequoia
    February 3, 2010, 7:34 pm
    This ode is not for shirkers,But earthly common workers, What bliss it is to be on, The level of a peon.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Can there be greater foolishness than the respect you pay to people collectively when you despise them individually? "
    — Marcus Tullius Cicero

bansaisequoia
    September 4, 2009, 1:26 am
    I hate people and love humanity.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Our lives are a sum total of the choices we have made. "
    — Wayne Dyer

bansaisequoia
    January 25, 2010, 7:46 pm
    ...minus the unpredictable stumbling blocks that have been strewn along our path.

Leave a comment:

• Toeprint
    replied
    "Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Michelangelo to paint your garage."
    — Unattributed

montyb
    June 15, 2012, 12:53 am
    But I'd have the coolest garage in the world!
    bansaisequoia
    July 4, 2012, 7:26 pm
    Not as cool as my Hieronymus Bosch garage.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X