No announcement yet.

Things that Bansai left for us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true. "
    — Bertrand Russell

thresa
    June 7, 2010, 10:43 pm
    I feel that bansaisequoia might know some technological trick for solving these more quickly than the human mind and fingers could do
    bansaisequoia
    July 12, 2010, 1:39 am
    I don't use a technological trick for speed. I recommend fast living, staying out late and impure thoughts.
    rosinante
    May 5, 2016, 1:15 am
    Heard about the constipated mathematician? He worked it out with a pencil.
    letfreedomring
    May 23, 2017, 4:20 am
    Back to Bansai - when I started on this site and saw his speeds, I figured he was a "he" and that "he" was about twelve. Just watch a kid texting....
    pickleball
    August 2, 2019, 10:30 am
    bansaisequoia -- starting today i m taking your advice

Comment

• "You can't stay mad at somebody who makes you laugh."
      — Jay Leno

bansaisequoia
      July 15, 2009, 9:14 pm
      I can't stay mad at PJ O'Rourke.

--- --- --- --- ---

"Politicians are interested in people. Not that it is always a virtue. Fleas are interested in dogs."
      — P. J. O'Rourke

bansaisequoia
      June 10, 2010, 3:07 am
      I have read several of his books because I think he is an hysterically funny author. However, I do note that some of his books have disclaimers stating that dollar amounts spent by Democratic politicians may not be accurate.

--- --- --- --- ---

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
      — P. J. O'Rourke

bansaisequoia
      February 13, 2012, 10:46 pm
      O'Rourke's funniest line ever.
      Last edited by Toeprint; 08-09-2021, 04:07 AM.

Comment

• "Somewhere between my ambition and my ideals, I lost my ethical compass."
        — Jeb Stuart Magruder

opallady
        July 12, 2009, 9:48 pm
        Magruder was the second official in the Nixon administration to plead guilty to charges in events leading to the first Watergate break-in.
        bansaisequoia
        September 10, 2009, 10:38 pm
        Crocodile tears.
        pootie49
        June 11, 2011, 7:30 pm
        hes a preacher now isnt he?
        bansaisequoia
        January 27, 2012, 6:38 pm
        Maybe he's turned over a new leaf and found a better hypocrisy.

Comment

• "Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. "
          — Thomas H. Huxley

bansaisequoia
          September 2, 2009, 12:46 pm
          Knowledge just keeps on expanding. We didn't even have calculus until the time of Leibniz and Newton. Think about it. Kids in high school today are learning math that was unknown to the Ancient Greeks or even Leonardo da Vinci and Galileo.

Comment

• "I'd rather be hissed at for a good verse, than applauded for a bad one. "
            — Victor Hugo

hotmail1
            November 12, 2011, 4:31 am
            Oh, come on. Not ten seconds! banaaiquoia is wasting her talents on a game. There are reality game shows for people of such talent, and they shouldn"t be wasting their time with mortals who play these games.
            bansaisequoia
            December 6, 2012, 7:12 pm
            They didn't pick me at Jeopardy Talent Search, but they said they didn't pick Ken Jennings his first time either. And I never got my foot in the door with Win Ben Stein's Money and Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? (9 seconds)
            chopstix
            January 22, 2013, 4:01 am
            hotmail has a point bansai... The game you should go for, of course, is Wheel of Fortune. It may be silly, but it could be well worth it! p.s., let us know if/when you're on!
            abra
            December 1, 2013, 9:02 am
            Many of the Jeopardy players say they tried out more than once. There are fewer game shows than there used to be, but bansai would probably be good at any of them.
            marnita
            December 14, 2014, 10:37 am
            Go Bansai - your moment will come.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

"I came to realize that life lived to help others is the only one that matters and that it is my duty."
            — Ben Stein

bansaisequoia
            July 7, 2010, 6:42 pm
            How about you help me by giving me some of Ben Stein's Money? (If I was in that soundproof booth, I'd kick your butt, anyway.)
            Last edited by Toeprint; 08-01-2021, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• "To me, boxing is like a ballet, except there's no music, no choreography, and the dancers hit each other."
              — Jack Handey

bansaisequoia
              December 2, 2009, 11:42 pm
              No music? I kind of hear "Eye Of The Tiger" and "The Final Countdown."

Comment

• "America is a vast conspiracy to make you happy. "
                — John Updike

bansaisequoia
                July 15, 2009, 11:18 pm
                Feh! I'd rather be a bittersweet Frenchman.

Comment

• "Men and women, women and men; it will never work. "
                  — Erica Jong

maradnu
                  March 18, 2009, 2:19 am
                  And you have a better solution?
                  bansaisequoia
                  August 24, 2009, 9:20 pm
                  Three genders?

Comment

• "I don't fly any awards at the house. Any award you get is usually for something you've done in the past. And I like to keep looking forward."
                    — Garth Brooks

bansaisequoia
                    May 11, 2010, 4:51 pm
                    He is such a money-grubbing scumbag, he said that used CD stores should be illegal

Comment

• "Love is like quicksilver in the hand. Leave the fingers open and it stays. Clutch it, and it darts away. "
                      — Dorothy Parker

Lurker
                      September 26, 2009, 11:28 pm
                      You shouldn't touch mercury anyway.
                      bansaisequoia
                      October 8, 2009, 10:41 pm
                      Yeah, it might give you dain bramage.

Comment

• "We have the means to change the laws we find unjust or onerous. We cannot, as citizens, pick and choose the laws we will or will not obey. "
                        — Ronald Reagan

bansaisequoia
                        March 15, 2010, 5:45 am
                        We must also remember that the Constitution of the United States, which was ratified in 1789, was a document which was meant to be changed with the passing of time. If you look up "amend" in the dictionary, it means "To change for the better; improve. To remove the faults or errors in; correct." Many Americans feel outraged if they feel the Second Amendment to the Constitution is not upheld to the letter. I cannot help but feel that they are very uninformed and not very well-read. The first ten "Amendments" or "corrections" to the Constitution do not appear in that document. They were ratified later in the "Bill of Rights," in 1791. Obviously, the founding fathers felt that the original Constitution was fallible and might have errors. Why else would they have made "Amendments" or "corrections to the Constitution a mere two years later?

Comment

• "You are remembered for the rules you break. "
                          — Douglas Macarthur

bansaisequoia
                          March 3, 2009, 1:27 am
                          Was this said by a general who expected men under his command to carry out his orders?

Comment

• "I have a problem about being nearly sixty - I keep waking up in the morning and thinking I'm thirty-one."
                            — Elizabeth Janeway

bansaisequoia
                            August 14, 2009, 1:37 am
                            Not the captain on "Star Trek: Voyager."

Comment

• "All science is either physics or stamp collecting."
                              — Ernest Rutherford

bansaisequoia
                              June 13, 2009, 7:22 pm
                              How odd that this was said by a Nobel Prize winning scientist.
                              maradnu
                              July 5, 2009, 11:58 pm
                              Obviously Rutherford was a physicist. The element Rutherfordium named after him, I'm guessing.
                              bansaisequoia
                              July 11, 2009, 1:24 am
                              Rutherfordium is indeed named for him. He is considered the discoverer of the proton, and was one of the first to split the atom.
                              bansaisequoia
                              August 27, 2009, 1:50 am
                              I guess I can understand how he might view some other sciences as being stamp collecting, since they can involve a lot of cataloguing. Biology has its Linnaean Classification. There are countless celestial bodies in astronomy. Chemists deal with many compounds, isotopes, isomers, etc.
                              montyb
                              June 3, 2012, 2:27 pm
                              Rutherford did not discover the proton; Eugen Goldstein did that in 1886. Rutherford discovered that the protons were all clustered together in the atomic nucleus. Ironically, his famous gold foil experiment was divised to test the validity of JJ Thomson's "plum pudding" atomic model. As for his quote, Rutherford is referring (somewhat sarcastically) to physics being the most fundamental of all sciences. Inside of biology is a lot of chemistry (we are all walking chemical factories) and inside of chemistry is physics. All other sciences eventually boil down to physics.
                              bansaisequoia
                              September 5, 2013, 1:17 pm
                              I stand corrected, monty. It's one of those John Fulton and the steamboat, Alexander Graham Bell and the telephone situations. I can remember reading a kids book that claimed the Duryea Brothers invented the car. Thanks for the 411!

Comment

• "Coffee and tobacco are complete repose."
                                — Turkish Proverb

bansaisequoia
                                June 18, 2012, 7:04 pm
                                Actually, they are a great deterrent to repose.

--- --- --- --- ---

"Decaffeinated coffee is kind of like kissing your sister."
                                — Bob Irwin

bansaisequoia
                                January 2, 2017, 1:54 pm
                                Ask Luke Skywalker what that's like.
                                Last edited by Toeprint; 08-17-2021, 04:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X