No announcement yet.

Obnoxiously difficult quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the warning, they are definitely more difficult to me than usual.

Comment

• abracadebra is a GREAT name

Comment

• "Night's black mantle covers all alike."
        -Guillaume de Salluste Du Bartas

A 3% solve rate. I worked this one quite awhile, and after I realized I had as much chance of solving it as I did of striking oil in my back yard I just had to look it up.

Comment

• "Civilization: a thin veneer over barbarianism."
          — John M. Shanahan
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Impossible quote!

I came across a quote tonight that had a solve rate of less than 2.5%

Flirtation: attention without intention.

Comment

• whoa!

that is obnoxious!
              i had one earlier with a 3.8% success rate--that's the lowest i've had.

Comment

• Wow, momof7, if you don't get "without", it's pretty near impossible. Congrats!!!

Comment

• "When in doubt, ask. When not in doubt, ask. "
                  — Unattributed

This little blackguard caused me no end of grief.
                  "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• these "little backguards" are the reason I have made lists of the most elusive and EVIL crytograms I have solved. You can scoff, but I did it with Pootie's advice. I see nothing wrong with giving yourself the gift of a particularly ugly quote you've solved all on your own!

Comment

• Originally posted by gryhnd51 View Post
                      these "little backguards" are the reason I have made lists of the most elusive and EVIL crytograms I have solved. You can scoff, but I did it with Pootie's advice. I see nothing wrong with giving yourself the gift of a particularly ugly quote you've solved all on your own!
                      I'm not scoffing. I do the very same thing. If I've solved it, and it was particularly difficult, it goes onto a list. Nothing wrong with giving yourself credit. I have also prepared a list of "letter patterns" from quotes I've previously solved. If, for example, I spot the crypto-pattern of the word NothiNg, but I find that the word doesn't work with the puzzle, I'll check my list of 7 letter words and look at positions 1 & 6 for a matching letter. Again, this list has been compiled from words in puzzles that I have already solved, so I don't consider it to be a cheat sheet. A word is not added to the list until it has been solved by me in a puzzle.

Comment

• Aarghh!!!

"Enough shovels of earth - a mountain. Enough pails of water - a river. "
                        — Proverb

Comment

• Obnoxiously difficult quotes

ooh, Montyb, that's just wrong! I'm sorry you had to experience that. Try to have a good day anyway.

Comment

• Thanks, Damsel

It's going to be a great day; I'm playing golf today with my son.

Comment

• Obnoxiously difficult quotes

"Do good by stealth, and blush to find it fame."
                              — Alexander Pope

Average time 330 seconds. I took about 233.

"No more we meet in yonder bowers Absence has made me prone to roving; But older, firmer hearts than ours, Have found monotony in loving. "
                              — Lord Byron

Average time 260 seconds, my time 223.

Oh my goodness, two in a row! I think it's time for a coffee break!

Comment

• I just got a proverb: "He that winna be ruled by the rudder maun be ruled by the rock. "
                                It didn't even say it was Scottish!

Comment

Working...
                                X