Obnoxiously difficult quotes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any bright ideas as to how?

When I wrote about the potential problem in scoring with the "I give up" button, I was wishing that someone would answer by showing a way that it could be done. I would enjoy playing "competitively" and still occasionally beg for a clue when my brain started to sizzle and burn. Nowadays, I just play as a guest, because sometimes I want to ask for hints.

Comment

• why couldn't it be counted the same as any other "pass" when we give up and go on to another question (just counts against our time and earns no points)?
      it's the same thing, isn't it? just with a look at the answer.

Comment

• what if you are trying for 100%

Would a "pass" count against your accuracy score?

Comment

• Yes, it would have to. Looking at the answer would deduct a puzzle the same way not finishing it in two hours does.

Comment

• so there wouldn't really be any difference between an "i give up" and an "i give up--show me the answer," correct?

Comment

• That's what I'm thinking. It's the only fair way.

Comment

• I'm still fairly new to this site, so when I asked the question "what about an 'I quit' button, I didn't completely understand how complicated it would be. I thought it was just a coding chore. But since we can just 'pass' and get another puzzle, we are really just 'quitting'. So seems like it would be simple to just show the solution before passing us on to the next puzzle, all other scoring issues remain the same, no?

Comment

• exactly--that's how i see it.

Comment

• Busyness #2

I finally found the second quote with the spelling "busyness"!

It's by C. Neil Strait and is pretty long. The part you need to get past is...

"Life lived amidst tension and busyness needs leisure." There are two more sentences, but between "amidst" and "busyness", the rest should fall into place.

Comment

• "Make money, money by fair means if you can, if not, but any means money."
                      — Horace

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• that's just WRONG!!!

Comment

• Grrrrrrr!

"Faultily faultless, icily regular, splendidly null, dead perfection; no more. "
                          — Alfred Lord Tennyson
                          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Divine Nature gave the fields, human art built the cities. - Marcus Terentius Varro

Comment

• Obnoxiously difficult quotes

"Then my verse I dishonor, my pictures despise, my person degrade and my temper chastise; and the pen is my terror, the pencil my shame; and my talents I bury, and dead is my fame. "
                              — William Blake

I think 269 seconds is my worst time ever-and it's rated easy!

Comment

• Originally posted by damsel22 View Post
                                I think 269 seconds is my worst time ever....
                                This flabbergasts me. You've never spent 15 minutes squinting at a tough quotation, growning, cussing, pounding your fist on the desk, trying letters at random?

Comment

Working...
                                X