X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A real bugger...

"Vanity plays lurid tricks with our memory."
    — Joseph Conrad
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• obnoxiously difficult quotes

source: unattributed (of course!)

No quotation marks: Veni. Vidi. Velcro. I came. I saw. I stuck around.

Comment

• here's the second one for today:

Clementine Paddleford: "Chowder breathes reassurance. It steams consolation."

Comment

• i had to get help on this one:

"Know yourself, master yourself. Conquest of self is most gratifying."--Unattributed

lurker gave this hint: It's the "yourself" and "self" that get it if you can figure that part out.

Comment

• i just spent all day going back to this one 'til i finally got it--no idea why i found it so difficult.

"A rustle in the wind reminds us a fairy is near." — Unattributed

Comment

• "Distance lasts a day. But reality lasts a lifetime." — Laura Schlessinger

it would've helped if the period were a comma after 'day.'

Comment

• This one probably appears in this thread somewhere before now, but here goes...

"Gonzo leaps like a giraffe and grabs it!" - Jerry Coleman

Comment

• is there a way to search for quotes? i've tried several times with no luck. it tells me i haven't given enough words to do the search--it needs to be more than four words. i did have more than four words! i've never taken time to really study what i'm doing wrong.

Comment

• "To be sick is to enjoy monarchical prerogatives. "
                    — Charles Lamb
                    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• I've had this one a few times, and each time I've struggled with it:

"Fan the sinking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine. " — Charles Dickens

Comment

• Searching for quotes

Originally posted by wvwoman View Post
                        is there a way to search for quotes? i've tried several times with no luck. it tells me i haven't given enough words to do the search--it needs to be more than four words. i did have more than four words! i've never taken time to really study what i'm doing wrong.
                        wvwoman, do you mean a way to search for quotes within this thread? You can do that by clicking on "Search this thread" near the top of the page, just above the first comment. Then you can type in even one word from the quote, and results will show you all entries from just this thread, containing that word. I notice that the "Search this thread" option is available only while you are viewing the thread, though; once you open a "Reply" window to add a comment, that link disappears.

Or did you mean something else?

Comment

• "If A__ Ni_a_ is a terrorist, so is George Washington." by Gaddafi. There were 14 letters left. That is practically an infinite number of combinations try. If you didn't know who
                          A__ Ni_a_ is you could never solve this. I didn't so no 100 % for me.

Comment

• you should've googled it like i just did! abu nidal. never heard of it/him until now.

"Sabri Khalil al-Banna, known as Abu Nidal, was the founder of Fatah – The Revolutionary Council, a militant Palestinian splinter group commonly known as the Abu Nidal Organization." Wikipedia

Comment

• Wow, I need a good night's sleep. I thought you wrote "al-Banana".

Comment

• "Solvitur ambulando, St. Jerome was fond of saying. To solve a problem, walk around."
                                — Gregory McNamee

Average time:597 seconds!!

Comment

Working...
                                X