No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use the "Search This Thread" box below the thread to find comments including any keyword, such as "gwizdala"

Comment

• Originally posted by darkyr View Post
      Use the "Search This Thread" box below the thread to find comments including any keyword, such as "gwizdala"
      here's the response i got:
      "The search term you specified (r.) is under the minimum word length (4) and therefore will not be found. Please make this term longer.
      If this term contains a wildcard, please make this term more specific."

wildcard? now i'm twice as confused!

Comment

• Originally posted by LLapp View Post
        Queethebean, this is so wonderful to read! Maybe we've all been pitching in on this thread as a big surprise welcome-back party for you without even knowing it. I hope you enjoy some of your own gems in here. Like that Adam R. Gwizdala comment -- definitely one of my personal top 10 favorites.
        It is good to be back!

I have to let you know how much I have enjoyed your grammar and editing comments. I was an English major and am a former proofreader. You are not alone!

Comment

• For wvwoman - How to use "Search this thread"

The "Search this thread" field works like Google: you need to put the whole name "Adam R. Gwizdala" inside quotation marks to tell it you want the exact phrase. Without quote marks, the program thought you meant 3 separate search terms -- and the "R." was too short to process, so it rejected the whole request.

What to do: Under "Search this thread," type either the whole name inside quotes, or type just one unique search term -- "Gwizdala" in this case -- and it will work.

But OMG why don't I just tell you what the comment was? Because "Search this thread" is a great tool to have at your fingertips. I use it mainly for this "classic" thread, to check whether some gem I'm about to post has already been posted, but there are plenty of other uses for it. Very handy tool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Queethebean View Post
            It is good to be back!

I have to let you know how much I have enjoyed your grammar and editing comments. I was an English major and am a former proofreader. You are not alone!
            Wow, in that case, double welcome! We grammar folk need to stick together like two clauses around a semicolon.

Comment

• "It is better to be the hammer than the anvil. "
              — Proverb

The original meaning of this comparison was that it is better to be the anvil: the hammer eventually wears out and breaks, but the anvil never does.

JD_1947 on 2014-11-07 05:48:39
              Yep! There's lots of stuff out there 'bout hammers but not much on anvils . . .

LLapp on 2014-11-20 13:29:24
              "If I Had an Anvil" never made it to the top ten.

petname on 2015-04-14 09:51:54
              Nope! "I'd rather be an anvil than a hammer, yes I would..." wouldn't do so well either!

dovid1946 on 2015-04-18 08:04:28
              and I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on

oddcouple on 2015-10-10 22:59:50
              Hm. I always that the comparison was to the hammer and the nail.

LLapp on 2016-05-08 19:48:32
              I'd rather be an allen wrench. They're cool.

abra on 2016-05-20 18:35:07
              I just got a Dremel tool, way cool.

GtrZan on 2016-07-26 04:22:40
              "...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!" - Dire Straits

Roxanne on 2017-05-03 05:44:56
              I'm a detail sander and when I grow up I want to be an asphalt cold planer.

Beagle on 2017-05-16 08:34:24
              I'm with oddcouple. The saying is that it's better to be the hammer than the nail. If it's between the hammer and the anvil, I'll pick anvil every time.

skeeter on 2017-08-16 12:47:40
              I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would.

abra on 2017-08-29 18:27:37
              El Condor Pasa.

Comment

• Originally posted by oddcouple View Post
                "It is better to be the hammer than the anvil. "
                — Proverb

The original meaning of this comparison was that it is better to be the anvil: the hammer eventually wears out and breaks, but the anvil never does.

JD_1947 on 2014-11-07 05:48:39
                Yep! There's lots of stuff out there 'bout hammers but not much on anvils . . .

LLapp on 2014-11-20 13:29:24
                "If I Had an Anvil" never made it to the top ten.

petname on 2015-04-14 09:51:54
                Nope! "I'd rather be an anvil than a hammer, yes I would..." wouldn't do so well either!

dovid1946 on 2015-04-18 08:04:28
                and I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on

oddcouple on 2015-10-10 22:59:50
                Hm. I always that the comparison was to the hammer and the nail.

LLapp on 2016-05-08 19:48:32
                I'd rather be an allen wrench. They're cool.

abra on 2016-05-20 18:35:07
                I just got a Dremel tool, way cool.

GtrZan on 2016-07-26 04:22:40
                "...sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug!" - Dire Straits

Roxanne on 2017-05-03 05:44:56
                I'm a detail sander and when I grow up I want to be an asphalt cold planer.

Beagle on 2017-05-16 08:34:24
                I'm with oddcouple. The saying is that it's better to be the hammer than the nail. If it's between the hammer and the anvil, I'll pick anvil every time.

skeeter on 2017-08-16 12:47:40
                I'd rather be a hammer than a nail. Yes I would. If I could, I surely would.

abra on 2017-08-29 18:27:37
                El Condor Pasa.
                i, too, think of the simon and garfunkel song when i see this quote.

Comment

• "We are born princes and the civilizing process makes us frogs." — Eric Berne

montyb on 2013-04-25 19:27:27
                  Ribbid! I mean, Rubbish!

Comment

• "Knowing that I am not the one in control gives great encouragement. Knowing the One who is in control is everything." — Alexander Michael

pootie49 on 2012-06-19 15:24:52
                    the wife?

montyb on 2012-12-10 02:17:13
                    The cat.

jbb33054 on 2013-03-10 12:50:48
                    God

puzzleme on 2013-05-25 04:06:33
                    If memory serves, it is Alexander Haig.

macmilh on 2014-09-07 16:34:24
                    No, it's the cat.

Comment

• Then WhiteEagle brings us back to reality.

"LOVE: A word properly applied to our delight in particular kinds of food; sometimes metaphorically spoken of the favorite objects of all our appetites."
                      — Henry Fielding

agatha on 2011-03-11 01:41:27
                      Great quote!

LLapp on 2016-11-08 11:38:01
                      Brings to mind the famous "eating scene" from the movie version of his novel "Tom Jones."

susanith on 2017-07-18 10:21:30
                      Do you think he saw that scene?

LLapp on 2017-08-12 13:29:28
                      Well, no, but I always assumed the scene in the film was faithful to Fielding's narrative. I just now scanned through the text (posted for free, here: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/6593/...m#link2HCH0048), and it seems that scene is described only implicitly and only by polite suggestion, in Book IX, Chapter V.

WhiteEagle on 2017-09-25 11:06:59
                      327 s., but I was distracted by some delicious chocolate chip cookies and milk
                      "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• I spit out my tea reading this one . . .

"Many estates are spent in the getting, since women for tea forsake spinning and knitting, and men for punch forsake hewing and splitting." Benjamin Franklin

mikehallbackhoe on 2014-04-24 19:09:56
                        I'm not into hewing, but I do enjoy splitting, it keeps me young

LLapp on 2014-09-11 09:18:15
                        When I think of all I have forsaken for tea . . .

SwampySox on 2015-10-12 15:22:59
                        Its tough giving up on hewing and splitting, but punch is worth it.

darkyr on 2016-07-13 06:18:44
                        I had no idea. Does anyone know where I can get punch? I'd like to at least try it before I start this week's hewing.

marnita on 2016-10-04 11:53:03
                        Yes, darkyr, by all means try it; otherwise, how do you know whether it's worth the sacrifice?

SippyGurl on 2016-12-02 21:22:46
                        darkyr, walk up to the biggest guys in a biker bar and tell them america sucks...

abra on 2017-04-12 15:18:57
                        My family had to go without stockings, because forsook spinning and knitting to sit and guzzle tea.

Comment

• "Seeing a murder on television can help work off one's antagonisms. And if you haven't any antagonisms, the commercials will give you some."
                          — Alfred Hitchcock

BriddlesBob on 2014-11-21 05:54:20
                          now that's one for the birds!

Roxanne on 2016-01-07 15:28:10
                          I confess, I have a suspicion that this cryptogram gave many of us vertigo.

oddcouple on 2017-04-07 22:53:27
                          Makes me afraid to look out my Rear Window!

oddcouple on 2017-04-20 00:22:46
                          Commercials can drive a person Psycho. Some of the shows, too!

Comment

• A long, respectful discussion about God, science and atheism

One of the longest comment threads I've seen on this site, and so civilized!!

"It's just as much of a stretch to be an atheist as it is to believe in God, because there's no explanation for how the planet got here." — Bill O'Reilly

matarisa on 2011-04-10 20:17:32
                            I find it easier to believe in God than to believe it's all just a mindless accident.

kokumo on 2011-12-09 00:23:38
                            Evolution isn't "mindless," it's directional. We evolve to pressures of our environment. Life is so beautifully and wonderfully variable that almost anything is possible. Science can be just as beautiful and meaningful as God. It's all the same thing; it's just what you name it.

WRQ9 on 2012-04-10 19:36:59
                            The fact that there are two arguments doesn't mean that one is any more correct than the other. Belief only guides our experiential path, the truth is unaffected, and undecided.

chopstix on 2012-08-31 04:21:29
                            Matarisa - "easier" is the operative word in your statement.... and as far as "mindless", the human mind is a product of evolution, but I'm sure you would disagree... Kokumo - I pretty much agree, it's all the same thing: it's just what you name it, thank you.

puzzleme on 2013-06-06 06:02:51
                            Science and religious faith are not necessarily mutually exclusive. The Biblical word "day" is translated from the original "period of time". If one believes in Creationism, one still does not know how that creation came about or how long it took. If God exists, God may have "created" everything according to the laws of nature, physics, evolution, etc.

nevadasmith68 on 2013-08-03 21:08:07
                            Two statements: 1. God created the world 2. O'Reilly is a bloviating clown

unicorn64 on 2013-08-28 19:32:09
                            I agree with puzzleme. Science and spirituality can work together. God created the universe with the science that we are now learning just a little piece of. It certainly wasn't all mindless. the universe is too complex to just be an accident.

abra on 2014-06-12 14:36:05
                            Everyone who believes in God, does not believe the Earth was created in six 24 hour days. I don't have any statistics, but I'd be happy to make some up . Just from the believers that I know, very few people think that. My own personal opinion is that God created the Earth. The details aren't that important to me. I think it's likely we evolved from apes, but either way, it doesn't shake my faith.

kb83 on 2014-11-03 09:05:16
                            Apes are beautiful.

LLapp on 2015-06-13 07:04:26
                            The process of slow, methodical discovery that science affords has slowly and methodically revealed an order that may or may not be due to a benevolent force at its origin. What is interesting is the human need to know for sure, and even fight for, a concept of origin that is clearly unknowable. You can't really know what is not knowable. Believe all you want -- whatever works for you -- but please don't call it fact, and please keep it to yourself. Morality does not require an external executive force.

abra on 2015-12-06 09:48:34
                            So, if you believe, you should keep that to yourself, but if you don't, you can feel free to speak your mind? I don't think that science is just another name for God. Science is there, the facts are there, I don't dispute that, but facts and science arenot God. I believe he's there too.

marnita on 2015-12-06 19:00:26
                            I think what LLapp is saying is that there is no point in arguing about it. Scientific explanations are not going to convince a religious person not to believe in God, and faith-based arguments are not going to convince a nonbeliever to believe.

killdozer on 2016-04-10 19:08:06
                            Evolution is a fact, not an opinion, full stop. evolution has nothing to do with the ORIGIN of life, tough or the origin of the universe or the existence of God. Evolution is only how life changes and diverges, not how it began. The planets got here by way of matter precipitating out of stars. Gravity did the rest. it's not a mystery and even it was a mystery that does not mean that a sky god must have done it. Bill O'Reilly is a moron who thinks that just because he personally doesn't know something (like what causes the tides) that nobody else knows either and it must be GAWD. He's an idiot. He's also a sex offender and a wife beater who lost custody of his kids because he dragged their mother down the stairs by her hair. Those facts are not especially relevant, but I think everyone should know what a jerk this guy is.

momn8r on 2016-06-26 17:22:45
                            Man! I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome from scrolling through all these comments!

oddcouple on 2016-07-04 18:04:10
                            I just can't believe in atheism.

montyb on 2016-07-10 15:45:19
                            I cannot resist the need to clear up a common misconception back in kokumo's comment. The term "directional" implies a specific goal or destination. Evolution is not directional; it has neither a goal or specific progression. It would be better to say that evolution is selective. Random mutations occur all the time and nature selects those mutations that benefit a population for transmission through future generations.

badbob on 2016-07-29 20:24:41
                            God created everything evolution is hooey Darwin was a fuddy-duddy nutbag and when Jesus returns (and He will) He will explain it all to you non-believers

abra on 2016-08-27 10:08:20
                            Back to the quote, I really don't like O'Reilly, I think he has a really unpleasant personality, but in this case, I'd say he's right on. I think what he says is true, It will make your head hurt if you think about it.

maradnu on 2016-10-03 14:30:11
                            Physics explains the existence of the world, and biology, through evolution explains the existence of the creatures here. One need not reject science to think there might be some higher power, which some may refer to as G-d. We cannot explain why the physics of this universe are as they are.

LLapp on 2016-12-01 16:46:12
                            abra, what I meant is close to what marnita said I meant. I should have been more specific -- I don't even think that people should keep their beliefs to themselves. In fact I think it's wonderful when people feel free to express their beliefs, and others listen and really hear them. What I meant (but didn't say well) is that there is no point in trying to persuade others that your own theology is factual or should be accepted as the only correct theology. Sharing religious belief is one thing; proselytizing about it is what gets my goat.

mikehallbackhoe on 2016-12-29 14:05:45
                            so, if I proselytize, you will give me your goat?

LLapp on 2017-01-02 11:35:48
                            Sure!

bkmcincinnati on 2017-02-21 06:50:50
                            This is in response to Bill O'Reilly, not the interesting discussion going on in the comments. Bill seems to overlook that atheists are, for the most part, comfortable with not knowing the answers to all things that science is still exploring. It's not a stretch to say we just don't know everything about our universe (and yes, I understand that people can and do believe God had a hand in it all and whether that feels like a stretch is for those believers to decide, not me). All I'm saying is I'm not stretched.

NotTooOld on 2017-05-20 23:32:53
                            I think this may be the longest string of comments that I have come across. Different opinions but (for the most part) politely expressed. Appreciate it.

Comment

• Maradnu made me laugh

"Be careful out there. There are things that go bump in the night. Actually, there are things that go 'Give me your wallet or I'll kill you' in the night."
                              — John Larroquette

montyb on 2012-06-18 00:17:04
                              Wasn't this said by his character, Dan Fielding, on "Night Court"?

wvwoman on 2015-01-26 12:12:37
                              sounds like it could be, montyb.

Kgun5 on 2015-06-19 08:24:43
                              He was "Dahn-Dahn Fielding" to the Inuits.

abra on 2015-09-03 09:21:56
                              The inuits? That might be a handy thing to know.

maradnu on 2017-05-11 15:41:13
                              Inuit all along

Comment

• Barnabas cracked me up

"My wife says I never listen to her. At least I think that's what she said. — Unattributed

Queethebean on 2012-05-10 22:50:05
                                This isn't unattributed--my husband said it. Mr. QueeTheBean

bansaisequoia on 2012-08-09 03:48:37
                                Is he a drone or a worker?

wvwoman on 2013-03-05 16:38:08
                                a worker bean?!

Barnabas on 2014-04-05 11:35:13
                                What?

nancypoo on 2014-10-04 13:44:56
                                It's a play on bees. Queen, drone, worker...

abra on 2015-01-05 11:59:31
                                Except she's not a bee, she's a bean.

dovid1946 on 2015-05-07 08:07:07
                                what is his first name? string? lima? fava?

gryhnd51 on 2015-10-07 18:52:47
                                Queen, I'm sure you must be mistaken. I'm absolutely sure that MY husband said this.

Barnabas on 2016-04-21 05:11:14
                                Huh?

Comment

Working...
                                X