X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• admin
    replied
    Originally posted by jbud1980 View Post
    the banner ad kept popping-up in front of the area of the grid where you can see the word you typed.
    Hmmm, that definitely should not be happening! If you or anyone else ever sees an ad interfering with gameplay, please email a screenshot of what you're seeing to me at admin@puzzlebaron.com and I will fix it ASAP.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka View Post
    To demonstrate the sisyphean nature of this game, for months I'ma been working hard to learn new words and type faster. Today I scored 694 and 703 on the 4x4's

but still only increased my "highest scores" in "current records" held by a single point. Despite all the 500 and 600 point games today.

The competition here is brutal.

Makes me wonder if pushing the rock up the hill is even worth the effort.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 6.38.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 6.35.39 PM.png
    Guess this explains why so many of my records disappear. The scores are highly vulnerable. This must have been hanging around for months. Amazing that it accumulated 30 plays without getting crushed.

Learned about "diapause" wondering (while gardening and finding those critters) why and how insects survive the harsh winters.

Playing the game, found "pausing," then "dia-" for "diapausing" and gambled the "non" would work for "nondiapausing."

Eureka! A new word!

Didn't play that way months ago. Big difference learning to string together word elements, accumulating them during the game, queuing them up as possibilities while searching for connections.

All while rushing through arrays of anagrams that produce lots of points.

Almost doubled the score on the old game.

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 8.48.30 AM.png

Leave a comment:

• jbud1980
    replied
    Kicked my butt this evening... Haha!

I upgraded to premium membership because the banner ad kept popping-up in front of the area of the grid where you can see the word you typed. It recently started, but premium membership is only $40/year, which is nothing.

Total points: 542 New record!
    Total words: 104 (40 common,17 wide,6 rare,41 ultra rare) New record!
    Best word: RAUNCHINESSES (24 pts.)
    Longest word: RAUNCHINESSES (13 letters)

PUZZLE STATS:
    Played: 13 times
    Average Score: 291 points
    Average Words: 65.8 words
    High Score: 450 points by jbud1980
    Most Words: 92 words by jbud1980
    Best Word: RAUNCHINESSES (24 pts) by jbud1980
    Longest Word: RAUNCHINESSES (13 letters) by jbud1980

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    To demonstrate the sisyphean nature of this game, for months I'ma been working hard to learn new words and type faster. Today I scored 694 and 703 on the 4x4's

but still only increased my "highest scores" in "current records" held by a single point. Despite all the 500 and 600 point games today.

The competition here is brutal.

Makes me wonder if pushing the rock up the hill is even worth the effort.

Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 6.38.09 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-04-18 at 6.35.39 PM.png
    Last edited by Naboka; 04-18-2022, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by Naboka
    Looking at the board stats before playing: played 31 times, a good player with a high score of 394.

Figured maybe beating 400 was possible.

And with the 3 longest ultra rare words unplayed (because the longest played word was 6 letters) thought... possible.

But never expected...

A bit of a thrill...

Woohoo!
    That is a an achievement, congrats. To beat all the totals AFTER it was PLAYED 31 times is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by 2cute View Post

I've never seen that. That's an amazing find!
    No, actually that means some sort of machine did that... definitely no a human

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by mclag View Post
    I just saw a game in which gpt4 got 87 of 87 possible words. Hopefully the administrator will take care of this?
    I've never seen that. That's an amazing find!

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Originally posted by BoggleOtaku View Post
    Maybe Usonia/Usonian is a proper noun/adjective.
    That seems like a valid point. Some words seem to be accepted even though they're apparently proper nouns. All I can do at this point is shrug.
    Last edited by Naboka; 04-04-2022, 03:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BoggleOtaku
    replied
    Maybe Usonia/Usonian is a proper noun/adjective.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied

Wow, congrats on so many 600+ scores this month. I think I only have about 4-8 this month, though I don't keep track. That's an interesting theory about retiring boards after a score of 600 is obtained. I never thought about that, but it seems plausible. Do you think the board in which I scored 699 and earned the highest score/most words was retired even though it had only been played a couple of times?

The WordTwist mystery thickens...

Probably not retired. Just pulled for recycling. I don't think it's immediate though.

I've run across a couple of 600's that I'd played within a day or two. Have no idea how long it takes to be flagged and pulled--if that is, in fact, what occurs. Also, ran across an exact 600 score today from someone else and have no idea how long it's been sitting there.

think admin should leave the boards up for a week or so, at least, so the person can have a little victory parade. They aren't like to be found by the head hunters for a while with so many thousands of games to sort through.

I've blown a couple of 600 opportunites in the last few days by trying to play words that I know exist, but aren't accepted. When you have to retrype a long word several times, you're fryed. Didn't accept usonian (not an especially long word) for some reason. Tried usonia with nothing. Grrr. Anyone who's studied Frank Lloyd Wright usually knows that word.

Though I did manage to throw in teratogeneses on a board that topped 600. Or maybe not. I was more thrilled with the word than the score.

Leave a comment:

• jbud1980
    replied

jbud, always a thrill to top a board that's been played 30 plus times. Especially when the puzzle stats are salted with good players.

The 800 club's impressive.

I think btw1213 floated the idea that games were retired after 600.

Seems like a workable explanation as to why we almost never see games that high. And there's a bunch so they should be more common.

If you look at the average high scores, three players are over 700, which they pretty much do every single month. Granted they normally play fewer than a hundred games. But Megaword is averaging over 600 having played more than 600 games. Then you have probably a dozen players capable of putting up 600's each month somewhere along the way. I've done 61 games over that this month all by myself. (tally board.)

So, what other explanation is there for all the disappearing games over 600?

And the influx of so many new games. Lots of new games coming from somewhere. And since new games depend on old words, the long old words are numerously scarce. Seems that retiring and restoring games would make things easier on admin to keep the games fresh.

I just don't know. And am curious as to the exact standards used to retire games.
    Wow, congrats on so many 600+ scores this month. I think I only have about 4-8 this month, though I don't keep track. That's an interesting theory about retiring boards after a score of 600 is obtained. I never thought about that, but it seems plausible. Do you think the board in which I scored 699 and earned the highest score/most words was retired even though it had only been played a couple of times?

The WordTwist mystery thickens...

Leave a comment:

• Spike1007
    replied
    Before the dictionary was expanded, boards were retired after 50 plays, although I'm not sure how often they'd check that. I saw some boards make it up to 53 plays before disappearing. I'm also pretty sure I read about the 600 point rule, but that was before the server migration when all old forum posts were lost. No idea any more whether that was from Stephen or just a reasonable deduction from observations. It seems pretty clear that 40 is the new 50, but from what others have said, it looks like the 600 point thing is still in place.

Like Naboka & others, I've been curious about the criteria used for board recycling (like is there one connected to having the best words on a board found?) Some boards obviously are recycled, while I think some are retired (at least for a while). A few years ago, there seemed to be a lot of -QUAVER words (like SEMIDEMISEMIQUAVERS), but I've probably only seen one in the last couple of years.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied

LOL, I don't think the 600 boards get retired, I'm just not as good as the upper echelon, which includes you. However, since you mentioned it, when do grids get retired? Today I bested the high score of a previous player and the board had been played 39 times. I can't say I've seen grids played 40+ times.

No, it wasn't excruciating to miss the 700 club by one point, as I'm part of the 800 club playing 5X5 grids. I play for fun and if anything i was proud of besting my highest score.

As always, happy playing.
    jbud, always a thrill to top a board that's been played 30 plus times. Especially when the puzzle stats are salted with good players.

The 800 club's impressive.

I think btw1213 floated the idea that games were retired after 600.

Seems like a workable explanation as to why we almost never see games that high. And there's a bunch so they should be more common.

If you look at the average high scores, three players are over 700, which they pretty much do every single month. Granted they normally play fewer than a hundred games. But Megaword is averaging over 600 having played more than 600 games. Then you have probably a dozen players capable of putting up 600's each month somewhere along the way. I've done 61 games over that this month all by myself. (tally board.)

So, what other explanation is there for all the disappearing games over 600?

And the influx of so many new games. Lots of new games coming from somewhere. And since new games depend on old words, the long old words are numerously scarce. Seems that retiring and restoring games would make things easier on admin to keep the games fresh.

I just don't know. And am curious as to the exact standards used to retire games.

Leave a comment:

• mclag
    replied
    I just saw a game in which gpt4 got 87 of 87 possible words. Hopefully the administrator will take care of this?

Leave a comment:

• jbud1980
    replied

congrats on the record. They just keep going up, don't they. See a lot of boars where you have 500's. Guess the 600's get retired.

One more point. That must have been excrutiating to miss 700 by a single point.

On the plus side, it's better than before.

I probably owe some of my success to your faith. You kept suggesting, and I kept denying. Then...why not give it an honest shot and stop being lazy, me said to self.
    LOL, I don't think the 600 boards get retired, I'm just not as good as the upper echelon, which includes you. However, since you mentioned it, when do grids get retired? Today I bested the high score of a previous player and the board had been played 39 times. I can't say I've seen grids played 40+ times.

No, it wasn't excruciating to miss the 700 club by one point, as I'm part of the 800 club playing 5X5 grids. I play for fun and if anything i was proud of besting my highest score.

As always, happy playing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X