Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bwt1213
    replied
    And now I used the "Control-R" command, and that works even better than mine. Thank you, 2cute! You're a blessing!

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied
    You're right, and I should have noted that the shortcut works only for Windows PCs. Basically, you're going ahead a window and back one or back one and then ahead one. One command is illegal and the other gets you a new game. The advantages are: (1) you don't have to keep the pointer on a single line, especially one that moves, and (2) you don't get hand cramps by holding and clicking the mouse. Another advantage is that it's easier to avoid clicking "new game" with your mouse hand when you find a board you want to play. I mean, you still can, just not as often.

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    Keyboard shortcut I discovered. ONCE YOU'VE PLAYED A GAME OR ABANDONED IT, hold down the ALT key. Then alternately press the left and right arrow keys to see a new game. The cursor does not have to be in any particular place, it doesn't matter if you get a board never played before, and no other actions are needed until you get a board you like and then you can play it as usual.
    Okay so I tried it (on my Mac), it didn't work for me. It must be a PC only thing. I usually find another game by another keyboard shortcut, Command R or for you Control R .

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by bwt1213 View Post
    Keyboard shortcut I discovered. ONCE YOU'VE PLAYED A GAME OR ABANDONED IT, hold down the ALT key. Then alternately press the left and right arrow keys to see a new game. The cursor does not have to be in any particular place, it doesn't matter if you get a board never played before, and no other actions are needed until you get a board you like and then you can play it as usual.
    That's a great find! Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• bwt1213
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Brisul
    replied
    Originally posted by John4tee View Post
    Hit 1000 "best words" today. Dead chuffed!
    That's awesome! I just realized that I'm not even close to that...and I've been playing for a while!

Leave a comment:

• John4tee
    replied
    Hit 1000 "best words" today. Dead chuffed!

Leave a comment:

• Brisul
    replied
    In ten games this month, I scored a total of 10,000 points. This gives me a perfect 1000 average. I've never done that before

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    Practising my typing.

Trying to discipline errant fingers

who want to scamper through the park

and sniff the interesting smells

rather than stay on the trail.

At the end of January my best total words was 118. Gone up 6 times this month now to 138.

Plus, the second 700 this month, as a bonus.

Screen Shot 2022-02-16 at 5.06.57 PM.png
    Last edited by Naboka; 02-16-2022, 10:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post

No, he just opens 5x5 on a bunch of different tabs on his laptop and then lets me know when each tab has a game worth playing - i.e. there's a big enough word to make it worthwhile. If I/we play it and can't find the word, we just ditch the game so the average points per word stays high. It's just one more approach to playing this very flexible game.
    Ohh, that's such a unique idea.

Leave a comment:

• Naboka
    replied
    The distinct advantage of having played a board within the last fews days. Having studied that board after playing it the first time and having figured out the word veins. Having visualized replaying that game in your head before moving on to the next.

Got 79 of the 82 already played words--out of 104 possible. Still am mystified as to what 19 of the other missing 22 could be. But, knowns are knowns, so...

Kind of unfair, but...

Screen Shot 2022-02-11 at 3.37.06 PM.png

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by 2cute View Post

How does your husband 'save them up for me'? Do you somehow download them onto your computer?
    No, he just opens 5x5 on a bunch of different tabs on his laptop and then lets me know when each tab has a game worth playing - i.e. there's a big enough word to make it worthwhile. If I/we play it and can't find the word, we just ditch the game so the average points per word stays high. It's just one more approach to playing this very flexible game.

Leave a comment:

• 2cute
    replied
    Originally posted by mdyak View Post
    So this is interesting... though not sure what to make of it. I decided I was really bored with endlessly typing the same words over and over again, so I thought I'd play with Average Points per Word. So now, of course, I'm endlessly clicking through games instead of typing. Or, sometimes playing games and then dumping them before they bring down my average. The best is when my husband takes breaks and looks for games with big words and saves them up for me (such a sweet guy!). In future months I think I'll need to find some compromise that's still fun and less restrictive. Maybe Stephen will find another new source of super long words.
    How does your husband 'save them up for me'? Do you somehow download them onto your computer?

Leave a comment:

• mdyak
    replied
    Originally posted by Spike1007 View Post
    I go for long words too, but (usually) only ones new to the board. That eliminates the endless clicking, so it's more fun. Of course that generally lowers the monthly score (unless you get really lucky).

By the way, congrats on your score so far!
    Thanks! It's kind of fun to see how many different games we can make out of this one game. Everybody's got their angle!

Leave a comment:

• Spike1007
    replied
    I go for long words too, but (usually) only ones new to the board. That eliminates the endless clicking, so it's more fun. Of course that generally lowers the monthly score (unless you get really lucky).

By the way, congrats on your score so far!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X