X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops! *use

Comment

flummox

The fine print on my avatar says: flummox (pronunciation), verb, To confuse; perplex. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, "flummox" is slang, and its origin is obscure. It is funny how my favorite thing about this dictionary is that it delves into the origin of words, and occasionally even these linguistic experts have to surrender in their attempt to trace a word back to a specific origin.

Comment

My name "WRQ9" was inspired by my love of crosswords, my initials, and 9 letters in my last name.

Comment

Dang! I really missed with my hypothesis of WRQ9's name. I thought it was the call letters of the ham radio operator which was heard in the middle of the 1939 "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast, but I couldn't find my recording to confirm it.
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Found it. If you're talking about the last bit before the commercial break, it's 2X2L talking to CQ. Poor CQ, swallowed up by the black fog in NYC.

Comment

Ah, thanks Lurker. Now I don't have to tidy up my library.
              "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Lurker View Post
                Found it. If you're talking about the last bit before the commercial break, it's 2X2L talking to CQ. Poor CQ, swallowed up by the black fog in NYC.
                A possible little "fail" in the War of the Worlds - Amateur radio call signs are one or two letters followed by a single digit, followed by two or three letters. For example W1AW or W1AWR or WA1AW or W1AWR. They may have chosen the 2X2L to avoid duplicating an actual call sign. It may have been another FCC "service" like law enforcement or emergency services, however. CQ is Ham slang for "calling anyone who will answer".

Comment

that's interesting--thanks for the info!

Comment

Where my name came from

Missed this way back when, but I wasn't playing much then.

My screen name comes from Judaism, from the High Holy Day prayer, the Vidui Ashamnu, which is sung during services then. We confess as a group not only our personal sins, but the sins of the community as a whole.

Maradnu means - we have rebelled. I thought it apropos, given that I don't always cleave to the common path.

Comment

Originally posted by AHD View Post
                      The fine print on my avatar says: flummox (pronunciation), verb, To confuse; perplex. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, "flummox" is slang, and its origin is obscure. It is funny how my favorite thing about this dictionary is that it delves into the origin of words, and occasionally even these linguistic experts have to surrender in their attempt to trace a word back to a specific origin.
                      "flummoxed" always reminds me of nero wolfe.

Comment

Originally posted by maradnu View Post
                        Missed this way back when, but I wasn't playing much then.

My screen name comes from Judaism, from the High Holy Day prayer, the Vidui Ashamnu, which is sung during services then. We confess as a group not only our personal sins, but the sins of the community as a whole.

Maradnu means - we have rebelled. I thought it apropos, given that I don't always cleave to the common path.
                        (i'm editing my comment to include the thoughts i had before the brief comment i originally wrote. in no way did i mean to denigrate your explanation) :
                        that's deep, maradnu--i like it.
                        now mine feels so ordinary!

Comment

Weird, I feel like I did answer this, but now I don't see it. So, maybe not.

I loved the Muppets' version of The Frog Prince back in the 1970s. The evil witch cast a spell on the princess and made her speak backwards, or "wackbards." Only the Frog Prince could understand her. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and find it somewhere---still a classic.

Anyway, at one point, the princess says "I want to quee the bean" (be the queen). Apparently, I thought it was so funny as a child that I ended up with the nickname Bean. The whole movie still amuses me, and therefore, inspired my moniker here.

Bert (also a Muppet---I just now realized that) as my avatar represents my true personality. Wish I were an Ernie, but I'm a Bert.

Comment

wvwoman

Your name is clearly descriptive - nothing at all wrong with that.

Another part of why I chose mine is that it was not clear to most people - though somewhat memorable.

Comment

Originally posted by Queethebean View Post
                              Weird, I feel like I did answer this, but now I don't see it. So, maybe not.

I loved the Muppets' version of The Frog Prince back in the 1970s. The evil witch cast a spell on the princess and made her speak backwards, or "wackbards." Only the Frog Prince could understand her. If you've never seen it, do yourself a favor and find it somewhere---still a classic.

Anyway, at one point, the princess says "I want to quee the bean" (be the queen). Apparently, I thought it was so funny as a child that I ended up with the nickname Bean. The whole movie still amuses me, and therefore, inspired my moniker here.

Bert (also a Muppet---I just now realized that) as my avatar represents my true personality. Wish I were an Ernie, but I'm a Bert.
                              i would never have thought of quee the bean being a spoonerism--that's delightful!

Comment

BoggyBoots

I originally came on quotes as swampy_sox. A power glitch knocked me off the web and when I came back to crypto's I couldn't get on. I reapplied as BoggyBoots which was accepted. Swampy _ sox came from a name used on another chat forum back in '99. I went out picking wild mint and got a booter. Made wild mint tea to help get over the cold I got. Male 70

Comment

Working...
                                X