No announcement yet.

What inspired your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I chose this user name years ago when my daughter was young and wanted me to play Webkinz online with her. I told her I was too old and she said I was not, so I became Not Too Old. If I want to be mysterious I don't use the capitals nottooold.

Comment

• I studied genetics and one of my humorous comments was to transfer marsupial genes to humans so nudists would have pockets.

Comment

• WriteOn

I used Writeon for a few reasons. 1.) I'm a writer. 2.) I'm socially inept and feel writing is safe. (I'm anxiously awaiting comments on my comments here, immediately regretting some but unable to take them back!) 3.) But mostly I chose this because decades ago, I had the privilege of sitting under a shady tree with an author. We were at the Los Angeles Bookfest. I asked him what he had written. He said, "Maybe you've heard of one of my books, Farenheit 451." I couldn't speak. I actually choked. He said, "How about The Martian Chronicles?" For the next 2 hours, I had the best conversation in the world with Ray Bradbury. So fascinating! I wanted to ask him out to dinner, to marry me and give me children. (Aw, but he was married, and there was about a 50 year age difference.) Finally, when he had to leave, I asked him what one piece of advice would be the most helpful to me as a budding author. He leaned toward me and looked into my eyes. He said, "Write." I smiled and thought, "Write on." (Right on.)

Comment

• Writeon, that was a truly awe-inspiring story!!! I am envious. I have been reading Bradbury since grade school. I can only feebly imagine how it must have felt when you realized your good fortune. Also, I kind of liked the little play on words of one of my favorite 60s phrases.
          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Agreed. That was a fun read.

Comment

• i still use that phrase...but now, after reading writeon's explanation, i'll probably "see it in my head" with this different spelling when i say it!

Comment

• Oh, what a wonderful and inspiring story. Few of us ever have such a memorable experience. I hope you have some fun playing here!

Comment

• Aw shucks, Monty. I'm envious of your witty and often hysterical comments. You are my inspiration!

Comment

• gryhnd51, I have so much fun working out the cryptograms, but I only do so in between writing difficult chapters in my books. I need to clear my thoughts, and like someone else had mentioned, I only started this because I wanted to read all the hysterical comments. I also learn a lot from them, like terrific editing tips and individual political commentary. (I know some people don't care for it, but the many different perspectives make politics seem quite interesting.)

Comment

• WVWoman, I hate the idea of dating myself, but I'm certain that like fashion, our old favorite phrases will one day cycle back into every day conversation. However, I really thought "groovy, baby" would stick around after Austin Powers.

Comment

• Thank you, Oddcouple!

Comment

• Fascinating thread to read... I just wasted so much time... My name was inspired by my favorite ancient Irish hero, Dearmid O'Dyna. And by my actual name.

Comment

• SusanODyna, I just found out my family came from Ireland--well, it was traced back to the mid-1600's. I need to learn about my ancient Irish roots, and I'm going to start with Dearmid O'Dyna!
                            WriteOn

Comment

• (according to an ad on tv last night, ancestry.com is having a $30-off sale.)

Comment

• Ancestry

For me, it's Scots-Irish, Irish, Scottish, Swiss, German, English, Welsh, and French, as best I've been able to trace it

Comment

Working...
                                X