Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LLapp
    Premium Member
    • Aug 2014
    • 528

    #811
    Variations on a typo

    (It turns out that "Narda" is a typo -- it should be "Narada," which was the name of a Vedic sage famous in Hindu traditions as a traveling musician and storyteller. But that's not important now.)

    "Never utter these words: 'I do not know this, therefore it is false.' One must study to know, know to understand, and understand to judge." — Apothegm of Narda

    puffybob on 2010-09-22 02:57:23
    I was wondering when they were going to quote the Apothegm of Narda.

    wvwoman on 2012-07-29 23:55:45
    who, or what, is it??

    Allen on 2013-01-19 23:38:34
    WV: that is the question!

    lainie18 on 2013-03-25 03:14:19
    I love a good apothegm.

    marnita on 2016-05-08 11:20:19
    Who or what is Narda?

    SippyGurl on 2017-08-18 21:43:20
    narda you business

    kb83 on 2017-12-14 03:35:14
    There was an apothegm of Narda. The pathway of knowledge is harda, One must study to know, To learn and to grow, Don't just act like you're any smarda.

    Comment

    • aerie

      #812
      "A careful inventory of all your past experiences may disclose the startling fact that everything has happened for the best. "
      — Unattributed


      maradnu on 2009-09-27 20:19:09
      Try to tell that to the survivors of torture and concentration camps.

      JCarlosCuevas on 2009-10-12 21:17:09
      To quote Jack Nicholson's character in "As Good As It Gets": "Sell crazy someplace else. We're all stocked up here!"

      bazinga on 2012-03-19 13:30:13
      Amen J and M

      montyb on 2012-03-31 21:47:17
      Key word here is "may".

      cheryljean777 on 2012-09-17 02:33:53
      So we might as well be happy.

      universalmom on 2014-02-14 03:55:40
      Good quote, JCC!

      wvwoman on 2015-11-06 02:11:51
      thanks for the reminder of that quote, jcarlos--that was the best line from that great movie!

      LLapp on 2016-08-19 07:17:36
      Anytime I see a statement like this, I think of people who have lost a child to illness, suicide, car crash, gunshot, overdose, etc. There is no way to view the loss of a beloved young person as "for the best."

      CCCookie on 2017-02-02 05:26:15
      I'm sorry -- the key word here is "everything" -- I can't think of an older adult I know who would find this statement true. It's difficult for me to imagine, for instance, how a diagnosis of cancer or the death of a beloved spouse could "work out for the best". Give me a break. Sometimes the loss of a "good" job can work out for the best, but there are too many things that happen in life that just don't work that way. One learns to have a good life after cancer or in spite of cancer, and one can live a good life after the death of ones beloved, but that doesn't mean it has worked out for the best.

      NotTooOld on 2017-06-02 13:09:03
      After all, this was only said by Unattributed. What do they know?

      Comment

      • GtrZan
        Member
        • Mar 2013
        • 18

        #813
        Even as a dog person I thought this was really funny..

        "It always gives me a shiver when I see a cat seeing what I can't see."

        — Eleanor Farjeon


        tjsrc on 2015-02-13 06:24:14
        People like to say cats can see ghosts.. Because they like to stare off into space for hours.. But most of the time they're just staring at the wall.. and I think they are just spacing out rather than seeing "something."

        skeeter on 2015-07-26 16:42:59
        Maybe they're just catatonic.

        Comment

        • LLapp
          Premium Member
          • Aug 2014
          • 528

          #814
          Monty's 18-month afterthought

          "I'm so poor I can't even pay attention." — Ron Kittle

          montyb on 2012-05-19 22:19:04
          Then charge it like the rest of us.

          montyb on 2013-12-30 13:09:15
          Oh wait, that would involve interest. Never mind.

          Comment

          • writeon
            Member
            • May 2017
            • 13

            #815
            "You will never be alone with a poet in your pocket."
            — John Adams


            fredsevent on 2012-04-16 21:05:04
            Dude had big pockets or perhaps they just grew small poets back then.

            abra on 2013-07-07 21:06:32
            Kind of strange.

            dmford60 on 2014-03-01 19:36:44
            I think it's kind of a neat thought, carrying a book of poetry with you to keep you company.

            universalmom on 2014-09-24 04:46:05
            hahaha i pictured some poor little guy screaming something like "grant me thy fair egress from this foul, unvented confinement!"

            ericthirdrow on 2014-10-13 07:54:44
            Is that a poet in your pocket or are you just happy to have some alone time?

            Writeon on 2018-01-18 11:08:00
            Ring around the roses,
            A pocket full of poets
            Ashes, ashes,
            Shouldn’t have put that cigarette in there.

            Comment

            • LLapp
              Premium Member
              • Aug 2014
              • 528

              #816
              writeon - Wow, what a great comment thread! Thanks for posting it -- I don't think I've ever seen that one. The wit at this site is remarkable.

              Comment

              • Barnabas

                #817
                "Sometimes we need to just do the best we can and then trust in an unfolding we can't design or ordain."
                — Sharon Salzberg

                She said this after flunking out of her origami class. - Montyb

                Comment

                • montyb
                  Member
                  • Nov 2011
                  • 280

                  #818
                  Edited somewhat to the essential comment.

                  "America is the only country ever founded on the printed word."
                  — Herbert Marshall McLuhan

                  WRQ9 on 2014-01-07 07:20:36
                  Sheesh, we're litigious enough as it is!
                  [B][I]"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."[/I] [/B]-- Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • 746tiger

                    #819
                    Like a ghost fart.

                    "So long as you live and work, you will be misunderstood; to that you must resign yourself once and for all. Be silent! "
                    — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe


                    jnoodles on 2016-11-20 03:01:57
                    sbd (silent but deadly)

                    Comment

                    • oddcouple
                      Member
                      • Dec 2017
                      • 0

                      #820
                      "A moment's thought shows that man's feeling of isolation has no foundation, biologically or sociologically. We grow out of the Universe, we are an expression of it."
                      — Paul Ingram

                      montyb on 2012-09-07 00:55:29
                      Of course there are times when I seem to be the most obscene of all expressions the universe could muster; the profanity of all creation.

                      montyb on 2013-07-07 02:23:58
                      I must have been really bummed when I wrote that.

                      windsong on 2014-11-02 03:50:22
                      It was apparently a moment's thought with no foundation! : )

                      LizardLeap on 2016-03-04 00:34:25
                      biologically or sociologically

                      Comment

                      • montyb
                        Member
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 280

                        #821
                        Great example of camaraderie and wit.

                        "It is difficult for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs. "
                        — Thomas Hardy

                        bansaisequoia on 2009-07-19 00:06:25
                        Then why is Altoid putting me in the dust?

                        Altoid701 on 2009-08-01 19:32:10
                        Sorry, Bansai. Mwahaha.

                        momof7 on 2011-03-27 05:50:47
                        On this cryptogram, I think that you left everybody in your dust, bansai

                        pootie49 on 2011-04-21 00:34:05
                        I dont know I think we manage pretty well. He leaves us all in the dust.

                        montyb on 2012-05-14 19:30:17
                        Compared to you folks, I'd be happy to get up to the dust level.

                        Barnabas on 2013-08-20 22:16:50
                        We are the dust, and Bansai is the Swiffer!

                        montyb on 2015-07-04 14:05:16
                        Barnabas, philosopher extraordinaire.

                        marnita on 2018-01-16 02:54:41
                        I just got Swiffered.
                        [B][I]"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."[/I] [/B]-- Albert Einstein

                        Comment

                        • LLapp
                          Premium Member
                          • Aug 2014
                          • 528

                          #822
                          "This doctrine of the material efficacy of prayer reduces the Creator to a cosmic bellhop of a not very bright or reliable kind." — Herbert J. Muller

                          saipanwriter on 2012-11-01 05:20:36
                          ugh--why not just say a not very bright or reliable cosmic bellhop...

                          chopstix on 2014-06-22 15:48:58
                          because it's a dis on top of a dis, rather than one big dis.

                          kb83 on 2017-06-11 14:02:12
                          The service is terrible in this universe. It's so hard to find good help these days.

                          Comment

                          • aerie

                            #823
                            "I have a spelling checker. It came with my PC. It plainly marks four my revue mistakes I cannot sea."
                            — Janet Minor


                            kat on 2009-04-09 16:18:26
                            Deliberately misspelled words in a crypto? That's a little below the belt.

                            pootie49 on 2011-05-07 21:44:44
                            ohhh this is evil to put this in. just evil.

                            lainie18 on 2012-06-15 23:31:17
                            Hey, it's witty. Lighten up.

                            montyb on 2013-07-03 13:21:00
                            I LOVE this, especially with the misspelled words. Ah, technology! It helps you make bigger mistakes faster and more efficiently.

                            iltquilt on 2013-07-06 14:38:36
                            It would be even more evil if it read: I halve a spelling chequer. It came with my pea see. It planely marx four my revue miss steaks I can knot sea. Not trying to give you any ideas Admin.

                            SKEHR98 on 2013-12-24 05:23:31
                            Watt misspellings???

                            marnita on 2015-07-20 16:26:27
                            What fun!

                            susanith on 2016-10-02 10:07:42
                            Fun. Iltquilt, I think your sentence would have been unsolvable.

                            Comment

                            • montyb
                              Member
                              • Nov 2011
                              • 280

                              #824
                              Laughing at my own expense.

                              "The degree and kind of a man's sexuality reach up into the ultimate pinnacle of his spirit."
                              — Friedrich Nietzsche

                              jnoodles on 2013-07-25 10:17:47
                              Degree and kind?

                              montyb on 2014-10-05 04:22:12
                              I have a Master's degree.

                              marnita on 2016-07-13 05:22:47
                              In sexuality, Monty?

                              kb83 on 2017-01-04 05:26:40
                              You have a Masters for your Johnson, Montyb?

                              maradnu on 2017-06-30 15:35:52
                              Good one, kb83

                              BrainCellKeeper on 2017-12-31 11:13:07
                              25 seconds!! I realize bragging about that doesn't make my sexuality sound very impressive

                              LLapp on 2018-01-21 10:31:46
                              Hooray, BrainCellKeeper!! I know you were incredulous for a long time about the fast solving speeds, and now you finally got one! What a great way to start the new year!
                              [B][I]"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."[/I] [/B]-- Albert Einstein

                              Comment

                              • aerie

                                #825
                                "Science has always been too dignified to invent a good backscratcher. "
                                — Don Marquis


                                pootie49 on 2009-04-21 19:48:55
                                They have one - its calle a wife/husband

                                dbs on 2012-04-09 13:18:23
                                necessity is the mother of invention-she must have been too busy with dignified stuff.

                                abra on 2015-03-20 16:11:52
                                We had one, but we lost it. Where does one go to buy a new backscratcher? Where could ours possibly have disappeared to? I think it must have been in the couch we sent to the Salvation Army. Otherwise, it would have popped up again.

                                darkyr on 2017-03-24 06:11:58
                                I went to the Salvation Army to buy a couch, came home with an outstanding backscratcher. Nothing in my science textbooks prepared me for the surprise.

                                abra on 2017-10-29 18:49:12
                                darkyr, you're welcome.

                                Comment

                                Working...