No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What people CAN do is very different from what they WILL do." — Anthony Robbins

jimdgar
    February 3, 2017, 6:42 am
    Anyone who can CAPITALIZE key words must be very smart.

SippyGurl
    December 15, 2017, 2:05 pm
    he uses motivational poster font

Eureka
    January 16, 2019, 11:10 am
    I can eat the whole pie and I will eat the whole pie.

Eureka
    March 5, 2019, 10:12 pm
    I should not have eaten that whole pie.

Comment

• The Vowel Blockage thread continues . . .

Originally posted by montyb View Post
      Maradnu Cracks Me Up!

"Good men have the fewest fears. He has but one great fear who fears to do wrong; he has a thousand who has overcome it. "
      — Christian Nestell Bovee

JD_1947 on December 29th, 2014
      . . I got caught up in my vowels on that one . . . .

LLapp on January 3rd, 2016
      Only one i!

maradnu on May 7th, 2017
      It's tough when you have a vowel blockage.

marnita on December 20th, 2017
      Somehow I don't think it is quite that simple.
      badbob
      July 8, 2019, 5:07 am
      vowel movement is important

Persephone59
      October 26, 2019, 6:43 pm
      Try *NEW* Crypto Fiber today!!!

Comment

• "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." — Aristotle

BeeAre
        December 2, 2012, 3:52 pm
        Great. I'm a cryptogram, tetris, poker playing game of solitare.

Nattygobang
        April 30, 2013, 9:34 am
        Haha. That makes me a bass playing, cryptogram solving, cartoonist Mother with too much time on my hands at work... Actually that's about right :/

LLapp
        July 10, 2015, 4:23 pm
        Aristotle, baby, does it have to be just one habit? Can't you make it seven? Like "Seven Deadly Sins" or "Seven Dwarfs"? You've got a good concept here, but I can't sell one habit. Come back with "Seven Habits" and you've got a deal.

Roxanne
        December 9, 2015, 2:05 pm
        Haha. The Seven Habits of Successful Philosophers.

kb83
        January 19, 2017, 3:17 am
        these comments make me chortle with glee. (Chortling gleefully being one of my habits.)

Curious Word Hound

Comment

• "The reluctance to put away childish things may be a requirement of genius." — Rebecca Pepper Sinkler

bansaisequoia
          September 16, 2010, 4:04 pm
          Hmmm... I still read comic books.

universalmom
          February 25, 2012, 2:20 am
          I love roller coasters and water slides!

montyb
          May 12, 2012, 8:18 pm
          I get on the floor and wreslte with my dog.

locodad
          August 16, 2012, 4:45 am
          I do this silly word games, what are they called? cryp, cripyo,or something like cryptograms and I am better than my kids

SippyGurl
          June 2, 2014, 5:28 am
          my teddy bear is sitting in the living room

marnita
          June 25, 2015, 7:12 pm
          I have a whole shelf of stuffed animals.

Lurker
          August 9, 2015, 1:31 pm
          I have a giant box of Legos and a working Atari.

LLapp
          November 5, 2015, 12:33 pm
          I have a bowl of finger puppets in the living room and a cow clock on the wall. (HA -- when the quote is about God or economics or government, you can see the dividing line run down the comments thread. But give us a quote about toys and we are one people.)

iltquilt
          December 17, 2015, 1:25 pm
          I still love to color.

momof7
          January 25, 2017, 3:51 pm
          I love children's books.

darkyr
          August 27, 2017, 3:35 am
          I make a point of running through the sprinklers each year.

vintage38
          January 10, 2018, 8:18 am
          48 seconds I do cryptograms.

kahvecowgirl
          March 15, 2018, 10:04 am
          It took me years to realize how immature the desire to be the smartest person in the room actually is. And I have a stuffed neuron on my bookshelf.

LLapp
          September 2, 2018, 2:57 pm
          A stuffed neuron? Does it have a name?

Eureka
          January 29, 2019, 6:31 am
          I just googled stuffed neuron images. No offense kahvecowgirl, but I prefer Hello Kitty.
          stuffed neuron.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by LLapp View Post
            For years, the players at Cryptograms.org have been leaving comments on quote solution pages that are often more astute, creative, hilarious, or inspiring than the quotes themselves. Here is a thread where we can save some of our favorite comments and conversations from many years of quote-commenting.

Format:

1. Always start with the quote and attribution, for context, and then paste in the comments below the quote.

2. With each comment, include the commenter's name and date/time stamp.

3. Post whatever portion of the thread that you want to include here -- it can be just one comment, or several comments, or the entire thread.

4. Quote individual comments verbatim. Don't edit, change or shorten what people have written.

5. If you post a sequence of comments, it's okay to leave out in-between comments that aren't part of the classic moment. You know, like you can skip the "87 seconds" comment and other mundane or unrelated stuff. (Or go ahead and keep them in, if you feel they contribute to the magic of the thread.)

6. Remember, this is a place to save the wonderful stuff, not the other stuff.

To show you the format, I'll open in my next post with one of my favorite comments from Pootie (who passed away before I joined the site, but whose words delight me).
            For years I've tried off and on to place a remark and it never works. It says something like "too many words."
            Last edited by BriddlesBob; 12-21-2019, 07:09 AM. Reason: 0r it moves to another quote, under which, it makes no sense

Comment

• Originally posted by LLapp View Post
              The Vowel Blockage thread continues . . .

badbob
              July 8, 2019, 5:07 am
              vowel movement is important

Persephone59
              October 26, 2019, 6:43 pm
              Try *NEW* Crypto Fiber today!!!
              It seems that so many people I know must have lent their brain out too often......

Comment

• Originally posted by Eureka View Post
                The one where montyb sweetly replies to pootie49, many years later. (BTW, does anyone know who p7 is?)

"It is impossible to live without brains, either one's own or borrowed."
                — Baltasar Gracian

LiveLoveLaugh
                April 16, 2010, 11:45 pm
                I often borrow other people's brains

bansaisequoia
                October 9, 2010, 5:02 pm
                "Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking."--Ray Bolger

pootie49
                July 10, 2012, 3:21 pm
                bansai, p7 and montyb...can i borrow your brains for a month? i will wash them and return them good as new...k thanks.

bansaisequoia
                October 7, 2012, 2:01 am
                You can't wash my brain. My thoughts are too dirty.

chopstix
                April 29, 2013, 3:07 pm
                mmmm.... brains....

universalmom
                July 1, 2014, 3:09 pm
                dang it chopstix, you stole my line!

badbob
                July 24, 2017, 9:57 am
                apparently you can live without bruins

Persephone59
                August 19, 2017, 12:38 am
                You can see that Gracian didn't have to borrow other people's brains, because he had a fine Thinking Cap.

GtrZan
                January 8, 2018, 6:29 am
                Dr. Frankenstein, I presume?

maradnu
                February 2, 2018, 1:03 pm
                Dr. Frankenstein: Ah! Very good. Would you mind telling me whose brain I DID put in? Igor: Then you won't be angry? Dr. Frankenstein: I will NOT be angry. Igor: Abby someone. Dr. Frankenstein: Abby someone. Abby who? Igor: Abby... Normal.

Montyb
                August 4, 2018, 6:23 am
                (I wish I had gotten this puzzle while Pootie was still with us. I think she would have enjoyed this response.) No starch, please.

DrCryptell
                October 16, 2018, 12:18 am
                When you borrow a brain is there a checkout and return time? What if you go past the deadline? Does the brain expire?

Or i get an ERROR Message: must have 10 characters, yet mine IS longer than 10

Comment

• "Advertising may be described as the science of arresting human intelligence long enough to get money from it."
                  — Stephen Leacock

montyb
                  February 21, 2015, 7:43 am
                  don't bother me; I'm filling out an order for my 14th set of Ginsu knives.
                  puzzleme
                  June 22, 2015, 4:22 pm
                  Don't forget your Floating Golf Ball, monty.
                  skeeter
                  July 26, 2015, 4:14 pm
                  But wait! There's more!
                  montyb
                  April 8, 2017, 3:39 pm
                  Floating golf ball!!! I could have used that today!
                  maradnu
                  May 10, 2017, 12:55 pm
                  Even if it floats, unless the water is shallow, how do you play that lie?
                  Andy451
                  June 12, 2017, 10:32 am
                  "Step Right Up" is my favorite song by Tom Waits. The quality goes in before the name goes on, people! Good quote, Stephen.
                  writeon
                  November 12, 2017, 5:49 pm
                  Hurry, monty. If you act right now you can get a second set for free. In the factory we manufacture lipstick, in the store we sell hope.--Charles Revson, Revlon Corp.
                  jbb33054
                  January 22, 2019, 10:23 am
                  pickleball
                  June 26, 2019, 10:35 am
                  limited -time-only

Comment

• "The pretentiously-named ensuite bathroom is a major factor in divorce. Privacy is paramount in marriage." — Unattributed

dpm39560
                    April 28, 2011, 9:48 pm
                    I don't think many gamers would weep were this quote deleted from the database.

abra
                    January 22, 2014, 2:59 pm
                    It would be better if we knew who said it.

gryhnd51
                    February 19, 2014, 8:30 pm
                    You can only appreciate this quote if you've experienced it first-hand. Thank god they don't build bathrooms that way any longer. Intimacy is one thing, privacy is quite a different matter.

universalmom
                    April 25, 2014, 12:49 pm
                    Oh I don't know...it's kind of companionable to brush our teeth side by side!

momn8r
                    February 18, 2015, 1:42 pm
                    HGTV made me think it was essential!

abra
                    April 26, 2016, 6:00 pm
                    I want the bathroom to myself. I see no reason for two sinks. We had a battle or two, over privacy, in our first months of marriage. I won. It would have been a deal breaker.

LLapp
                    May 15, 2016, 5:25 pm
                    I'd never heard of an "ensuite bathroom," so I just looked it up. Turns out it's not the 2-sink deal; it's simply the arrangement where the bathroom is entered only from the bedroom -- the bathroom is *in the bedroom suite* as it were. We have this very thing, and that attached bathroom is all mine; he gladly owns the full bath off the hallway, a few steps away. And I totally agree, separate bathrooms is excellent for marital peace . . . and it's also a remarkable luxury.

maradnu
                    July 9, 2016, 3:31 pm
                    My marriage would not have lasted so long if we hadn't had two bathrooms

darkyr
                    July 12, 2016, 7:50 am
                    I don't see bathroom or privacy listed in any top ten list for divorce.

abra
                    July 29, 2016, 9:51 am
                    LLapp, an ensuite bathroom is probably just fine as only one of you is using it. I like even teeth brushing to be done in private. darkyr, maybe people don't mention it, but it's a factor, or else the people who commented here are all anomalies Except for Universalmom who even likes to brush her teeth with her husband, and that's sweet..

killdozer
                    August 15, 2016, 8:10 am
                    26 years and sharing a bathroom has never been a problem for us. I've seen her give birth three times. There's no mystery.

larry149
                    August 19, 2016, 7:20 am
                    Brushing your teeth together is one thing. Brushing your teeth while the other person is doing something else can be totally disgusting.

jnoodles
                    September 1, 2016, 3:27 pm
                    Suites are bad for your teeth.

marnita
                    September 4, 2016, 3:19 am
                    So just use the bathroom one at a time, and close the door. What's the big deal?

abra
                    December 30, 2016, 3:11 pm
                    Clever, jnoodles. If that's the actual definition of en suite, then I don't understand the quote. I didn't think it necessarily meant two sinks, but I thought it meant the sink part of the bathroom was located outside the bathroom itself.

LLapp
                    February 11, 2017, 10:15 am
                    I'll take the last sentence by itself.

gerrissister
                    March 22, 2017, 1:49 am
                    I think Joanne Woodward said this about Paul Newman and the secret to a successful marriage.

munchlet
                    August 16, 2017, 1:51 am
                    I think having a bathroom at all is a great luxury -- and incidentally, one I would not part with, not even for a day or two. Camping? No, thanks. Yeah, I'm a wuss. Like, totally.

abra
                    August 21, 2017, 1:20 pm
                    That's the first reason I don't camp. The other reason is there are creepy crawlies out their.

maradnu
                    September 9, 2017, 7:19 am
                    Not into camping either. I like beds and bathrooms, running water and plumbing.

momof7
                    September 23, 2017, 5:32 pm
                    Almost the whole family shares one bathroom, with the girls having their own in the basement, but their stall shower is so tiny they won't use it, so we all use one tub/shower. We manage. It hasn't impacted my marriage.

LLapp
                    November 23, 2017, 9:34 pm
                    I am 61, and I lived all my life until age 56 with 1 full bathroom we all shared plus 1 powder room (which doubled as the laundry room when I was a single mom). These past 5 years of having my own bathroom have been so luxurious that I fear I may have become out of touch with human suffering . . . but still I would never go back by choice to sharing.

Spellbinder44
                    December 6, 2017, 8:06 am
                    Lots of married people here.

badbob
                    February 15, 2018, 11:22 pm
                    attention all men. if the door is closed, go pee outside. one of the luxuries of manhood

LLapp
                    April 12, 2018, 7:43 pm
                    Women can pee outside too, but we don't because we are not animals. Now get off my lawn!

Persephone59
                    June 26, 2018, 10:54 pm
                    And I live alone and have 2 1/2 baths. So many choices.

NotTooOld
                    July 23, 2018, 11:33 pm
                    I have lived with just an outhouse. Now my home has three full baths. Would you think less of me for complaining that it is a pain to keep them all clean?

Deanna48
                    October 1, 2018, 1:14 am
                    Love the remarks! I think this is my favorite thread yet.

CryptoBee
                    October 19, 2018, 1:37 pm
                    Such entertaining comments!

MadDoctor
                    November 10, 2018, 8:26 pm
                    All these great comments, but notice that the first one was to delete this quote.

skeeter
                    March 10, 2019, 12:04 pm
                    This is the longest non-political comments thread I have seen on this site.

momn8r
                    March 20, 2019, 2:53 pm
                    I could have redone my entire en suite in the time it took to read all these comments. With a double vanity, urinal, bidet, walk-in shower, and soaking tub! Fun for the whole family!

Eureka
                    March 25, 2019, 7:42 pm
                    When I was growing up, most homes only had one bathroom. We all survived. I think we are spoiled today.

badbob
                    July 21, 2019, 6:39 pm
                    i can't leave a comment, i have to go potty

abra
                    August 10, 2019, 8:46 pm
                    The yard, BadBob, the yard.

Comment

• The OCD Thread

"To have long term success as a coach or in any position of leadership, you have to be obsessed in some way." — Pat Riley

montyb
                      July 17, 2016, 3:17 pm
                      I have to make sure that the bills in my wallet are sorted by denomination, and then put in serial number order. Does that count?

puzzleme
                      June 10, 2017, 10:26 pm
                      My friend was a brilliant psychologist... with a touch (ha!) of OCD. She kept her spices in alpha order, her clothes by use and color, her books by subject and author. I thought it all just exhausting but she found it comforting and utile.

maradnu
                      June 13, 2017, 2:44 pm
                      I keep my bill sorted by denomination and all turned the same way. I don't care about serial numbers though. I keep my clothes sorted by type - shirts, pants, jackets, etc.

skeeter
                      December 25, 2017, 4:25 pm
                      Uh, oh. I guess I'm in trouble. My spices are in alphabetical order; my clothes are sorted by color, and my books are grouped by subject.

LLapp
                      January 1, 2018, 2:16 pm
                      My spices are sorted by size and how often I use them; my clothes are sorted by level of formality and/or warmth; my money is sorted by toll-booth change versus pocket cash.

abra
                      January 11, 2018, 2:49 pm
                      My husband sorts his money by denomination large bills to front or inside, definitely facing the same direction. I don't think that he does them by serial number, but I know that he always checks the serial numbers. My money is sorted the same way, but not because of obsession. It's just easier that way.My spices are in a spice drawer, not sorted. My clothes aren't sorted except by type.

darkyr
                      February 8, 2018, 2:44 am
                      Such a fun game. My bills are sorted by denomination, faced the same way. I have two compartments for bills. One has the spending cash, the other has eleven dollars and one foreign bill that I keep to attract all the other money. My spices are mostly in one cabinet, the most common ones I use are the closest to the front because I put them away last. My clothes are everywhere. I have my work clothes on a hanger arranged in no particular order. I have five hangers, and each day it gets easier to choose. The rest of my clothes is in hampers, clean clothes piles, forgotten clothes piles, boxed clothes in the attic, and possibly a drawer or two. It's a project I haven't yet started, and I don't recommend taking it up as a hobby. I won't be writing a book about my system anytime soon, if ever.

artcnet
                      March 14, 2018, 9:58 am
                      oh,oh - I throw everything in the bottom of my purse - money, change, spices, clothes - guess i'll never be successful : - )

abra
                      April 19, 2018, 12:10 pm
                      darkyr, I'm intrigued by the money you keep to attract money. Is there a reason why it's $11? Is the foreign bill necessary, and does it matter what country it's from?

NotTooOld
                      May 5, 2018, 11:19 pm
                      To have everything sorted and in order sounds delightful. I wish someone would organize my stuff for me. I don't have the energy.

marnita
                      November 4, 2018, 3:25 pm
                      This is quite inspiring. I'm sure I would be happier if my clothes were arranged in some sort of order. As it is, I never can find what I want to wear.

rnodding
                      December 26, 2018, 9:55 am
                      I sort my clothes by colour and it is easy because everything is black. Shoes, socks, underwear, pants, shirts and jackets. Don't wear gloves or hats. They all match and are all basic except for a couple of sports jackets.Very little money, I use a credit card on which I get cashback. Spices need to be in alphabetical order because there are so many. Books are not sorted and are everywhere there is a flat surface.

lesliecomelastly
                      May 1, 2019, 3:50 am
                      This quote has a ton of comments. I think it's sorta cute that so many of us have a touch of OCD. (Me too ... with cash and my clothes; but my office is sort of a mess, even though I know where everything is ... there is a method to my madness). It's sort of curious. A correlation between OCD and cryptoers? Who knew? What does it all mean???

Queethebean
                      June 2, 2019, 5:23 pm
                      There are people who don't sort their spices alphabetically?

dmford60
                      November 29, 2019, 6:49 pm
                      I keep track of my office clothes and make sure I don't wear the same outfit more than once in a 30-day period. And they tend to get cycled in order unless the weather dictates a change of order. And my DVDs used to be in strict alphabetical order...until our apartment complex did a big rewiring project a few months ago and everything had to be gathered in the center of each room. Haven't bothered to reorder them yet since putting the furniture back.

Comment

• "Thinking to get at once all the gold the goose could give, he killed it and opened it only to find - nothing." — Aesop

Lurker
                        December 29, 2010, 1:03 am
                        Not even foie gras? That stuff is expensive.

Comment

• Parental advisory: Immature content.

"The study of error is not only in the highest degree prophylactic, but it serves as a stimulating introduction to the study of truth." — Walter Lippmann

pootie49
                          March 30, 2009, 6:35 pm
                          Deep!!

pocahontasaurus
                          December 26, 2009, 2:30 am
                          STUPID

bansaisequoia
                          October 17, 2012, 8:10 pm
                          Can he use that word on a family website?

WlayneM
                          March 13, 2013, 11:53 pm
                          Bansai, my thoughts exactly. lmao!

montyb
                          May 11, 2013, 1:56 am
                          Of course he can use "prophylactic"; it has some positive connotation about milk, doesn't it?

kjmcaj
                          June 13, 2013, 4:23 pm
                          63 seconds. Prophylactic as a verb? Never heard of it.

montyb
                          June 14, 2013, 3:03 am
                          I think he is using it as an adjective here.

WRQ9
                          August 19, 2013, 1:57 pm
                          Technically an adverb, but is it celsius or fahrenheit?

marnita
                          June 14, 2014, 9:50 am
                          It's an adjective, and the basic meaning is just "preventive" or "protective," from a Greek word meaning guarding in advance or warding off. The more specialized use with a sexual connotation is quite modern, I think.

kb83
                          January 19, 2015, 8:00 am
                          The study of prophylactic error serves as a truthful introduction to the study of the highest degree of stimulation.

LLapp
                          February 21, 2015, 6:31 pm
                          Anywhere you have a stimulating introduction, it's a good idea to have prophylactics.

dovid1946
                          April 2, 2015, 9:50 am
                          Only about half of the people understood even a quarter of what Lippman wrote

Persephone59
                          August 3, 2017, 11:36 pm
                          This gentleman would have been the life of any cocktail party.

marnita
                          January 27, 2018, 2:20 pm
                          Apparently no one on this site can envision guarding against anything other than pregnancy or STDs.

blueladyblue
                          January 31, 2018, 1:24 pm
                          You do NOT want an error with your prophylactic! Uh uh, no sir.

ruxpin66
                          May 2, 2018, 2:43 am
                          Yes, the prophylactic was deep.

Roxanne
                          July 13, 2018, 12:41 am
                          Reading these comments is like going back in time to one of those moments in high school when the English teacher could not control the class.

LLapp
                          November 8, 2018, 4:05 pm
                          Roxanne -- perfect.

Comment

• "Virtue is an angel, but she is a blind one, and must ask Knowledge to show her the pathway that leads to her goal." — Horace Mann

darkyr
                            January 6, 2017, 5:42 am
                            But Knowledge is deaf and has to ask Patience to translate for him.

Eureka
                            October 24, 2018, 11:58 am
                            And Patience has no sense of smell, so has to ask Kindness if the milk is okay to drink.

momn8r
                            March 23, 2019, 3:38 pm
                            Tap,tap...tap...flap,flap,flap. Tap..flap,flap. Tap, tap,tap,...tap, tap...flap,flap, SPLAT!

blueladyblue
                            November 19, 2019, 5:20 pm
                            But Kindness, being deaf, can't hear Patience asking him to smell the milk, so Patience asks Love to taste the milk, even though Love has no taste.

Comment

• "When we cannot get what we love, we must love what is within our reach." — French Proverb

puffybob
                              October 14, 2011, 1:43 am
                              From the French translation of Stephen Stills.

Comment

• "I have had dreams and I have had nightmares, but I have conquered my nightmares because of my dreams."
                                — Jonas E. Salk

bansaisequoia
                                November 2, 2009, 10:42 pm
                                This man is an inspiration. When he developed the Polio Vaccine, he gave it to all humankind and did not apply for patent. When asked why, he said "There is no patent. Could you patent the sun?" All the pharmaceutical company executives we see in the Fortune 400 should open up their eyes and start thinking of the enrichment of the world, not the enrichment of their assets.

wvwoman
                                September 23, 2012, 6:14 am
                                they probably wouldn't understand that concept.

wvwoman
                                December 2, 2013, 11:02 am
                                and well said, bansai.

skeeter
                                April 25, 2015, 4:26 am
                                I think of him whenever I recall all the children of my childhood who had to wear the polio braces. It was a common sight then, but an extremely rare one now.

abra
                                June 6, 2015, 10:54 am
                                Those of us who are old enough to remember children with Polio, know how great this man was. I didn't know the information that bansai gave us. It makes him a giant. We need more giants.

Capy
                                July 3, 2016, 9:35 pm
                                Thank you for that Bansai

SippyGurl
                                December 10, 2016, 9:49 am
                                thanks bansai! now i understand more fully why so many hold him in such high regard

LLapp
                                February 4, 2019, 8:24 pm
                                I was born in 1956, and I lived until age 5 on a street where I sometimes watched my sister and other older girls jump rope on the sidewalk. All these years later, there are still two sights I've not forgotten. First was the two girls jumping in and out of Double Dutch -- my first experience of jaw-dropping spectacle. And second was our quiet "steady ender" -- the young girl in the wheelchair, legs paralyzed by polio, glad to be turning the rope at her end.

letfreedomring
                                September 18, 2019, 12:33 pm
                                ^A nice reminder, as we bicker politically, to take a step back to count our blessings.

Comment

Working...
                                X