No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it. "
    — Leo Rosten

LLapp
    March 1, 2015, 3:48 pm
    Same goes for pursuing theater, music, or visual arts as a profession.
    LLapp
    September 9, 2015, 8:36 am
    Why yes, of course I'll expound further: All my life, no matter what I've pursued, no matter what I changed my major to, no matter what I've been hired to do, people have always wound up giving me their writing to edit. I've written stuff that lots of people have read (mostly about investing) but my proudest moment in any paid job was the time I fixed what had been nonsensical wording in the storage instructions on the Advil bottle. I still stop in the store sometimes just to admire it. I can't not edit, so I may as well be paid for it.
    maradnu
    December 17, 2016, 1:58 pm
    I need to write. I need to tell stories - even if no one else is really ever aware of them.

Comment

• "It was one of those perfect English autumnal days which occur more frequently in memory than in life."
      — P. D. James
      ​​​
      gryhnd51
      August 23, 2013, 4:21 am
      Several years ago, my daughter and I spent 3 weeks in England. It was in September, and despite 1 day of light drizzle, the weather was just glorious....and it was light out until after 10:30 at night. It was a truly memorable trip.
      chopstix
      October 21, 2013, 5:07 pm
      lovely gryhnd!
      abra
      January 19, 2015, 10:18 am
      How nice to have 3 weeks to spend.
      LLapp
      March 25, 2016, 1:01 pm
      gyhnd51, that sounds beautiful. Aren't daughters a treasure? I'd love to spend 3 weeks anywhere with mine.
      skeeter
      September 30, 2017, 10:33 am
      I'm having the American version of that perfect autumnal day right now.
      blueladyblue
      December 29, 2017, 8:14 am
      I'll be going to England in the spring with my daughter and her husband. Can't wait.
      montyb
      January 31, 2018, 5:32 am
      You're going to love it, Blueladyblue!
      Wilbur
      September 30, 2020, 12:46 am
      Where I live there are no perfect autumnal days. Just cool and dreary.
      abra
      April 25, 2021, 2:19 am
      North Carolina is full of perfect autumnal days. Ask skeeter. )

Comment

• "It would be far better to be of no church than to be bitter of any." — William Penn

questionauthority
        June 11, 2009, 2:48 am
        Simply not true.

maradnu
        March 16, 2010, 11:17 pm
        I kind of agree with Willy.

chopstix
        December 5, 2012, 1:27 am
        Simply quite true!

octopunchy
        January 3, 2013, 4:38 pm
        I question your authority, questionauthority.

montyb
        September 10, 2013, 2:02 pm
        Read "Beyond Belief" by Jenna Miscavige Hill and you may reconsider what Penn said.

pegxpeg
        July 20, 2015, 5:04 am
        Well, even if you are "of no church", it is still better to be bitter of the ones that continuously push their beliefs into the public domain. (It feels very odd to contribute to a conversation that was started 6 years ago.)

Barnabas
        September 25, 2015, 10:59 am
        Actually, Peg, it was started 300 years ago.

LLapp
        November 17, 2016, 10:55 am
        That must've been before the site was reset. I wonder what William Penn's username was.

skeeter
        February 23, 2017, 9:25 pm
        He used a Penn name.

NotTooOld
        July 9, 2017, 6:30 am
        groan!

Comment

• "Nothing is more responsible for the good old days than a bad memory."
          — Franklin P. Adams

hopetheturtle
          September 23, 2011, 11:51 pm
          Nothing is more satisfying than remember a time you spilled apple juice all over the kitchen floor(really what is this guy trying to say?)
          montyb
          March 13, 2012, 6:33 pm
          That we tend to remember the happiest times more easily and often than the painful times.
          vivian1874
          October 29, 2012, 11:56 am
          That the mind has a natural way of pushing away bad memories that we may go through life with a positive perspective.
          tgreen517
          October 31, 2015, 12:34 pm
          I think he means a poor memory.
          spacemonkey
          November 5, 2015, 1:54 pm
          Yes, a poor memory - he's saying that nostalgia makes things better than they were. But the way he said it is nice - using "good" and "bad" makes it more poetic.
          mohamm1
          September 27, 2019, 9:40 pm
          Poor memory. OR, suppressing the painful memories, because they are too unbearable to look at. My brother and a friend both have told me about a canoeing trip that we all three went on one weekend. I cannot recall ever doing that. And when my friend tried to show me pictures of that camping/canoeing trip, I kept on being unable to look at them. From my point of view, he showed them to me for about one-half second each. I am certain that he showed them to me, and I froze until he removed them. I think that something really bad happened that weekend, and I am blocking the memories. So MY version of the "Good old days" omits what should have been a wonderful canoeing/camping trip. Because I've always enjoyed both activities. I don't know of any other events I am missing, but I am sure there are more. Just remember. TODAY is one of tomorrow's "Good old days," IF we make a point of looking for things to be glad for, each night just before bed. Write them down. Tell God "Thank you for these great things I experienced today." Make a point of seeing the good in each day.

Comment

• "We become actors without realizing it, and actors without wanting to. "
            — Henri Frederic Amiel

Unattributed
            June 24, 2016, 4:40 am
            For all the world is a stage in my oyster.

Comment

• "If you love your country, don't depend on handouts from Washington for your information. If you cherish your freedom, don't leave it all up to big government."
              — Barry Goldwater

montyb
              July 21, 2012, 7:38 pm
              As he handed this information from his big government position in Washington.
              WRQ9
              September 22, 2012, 7:11 pm
              A holler from the hole.
              WRQ9
              January 6, 2013, 2:29 am
              A conundrum carries wisdom like a tornado carries debris.

Comment

• "In Louisiana we don't bet on football games. We bet on whether a politician is going to be indicted or not."
                — Mark Duffy

WRQ9
                August 15, 2013, 8:16 pm
                Now that's an opportunist.
                dazlndanee
                December 21, 2013, 12:51 pm
                LOOOOVE IT!!! I wonder when did this hold true?
                gryhnd51
                January 4, 2014, 7:18 pm
                dazindanee, my son-in-law is from New Orleans and according to him it has ALWAYS held true....and still does to this day. Louisiana politicians have been noted, and tried, for their political crimes.
                gryhnd51
                February 27, 2014, 7:28 pm
                On another quote I commented that an ex-governor, who was indicted and jailed for fraud is going to run for a Lousiana Congressional seat this year.
                Quizzical
                April 22, 2014, 2:24 am
                A rich tradition in LA. It is not just politicians involved in the game, either.
                marnita
                June 11, 2016, 5:13 pm
                It is pretty much the same here in Massachusetts.
                SippyGurl
                November 7, 2016, 2:12 pm
                live in louisiana with coon ass hubs... sadly, this is still very true
                SippyGurl
                December 12, 2016, 5:30 am
                yah, very true. but, we do love our tigers and saints!
                killdozer
                March 16, 2017, 4:15 pm
                I am originally from Louisiana. I remember a year where the candidates for Governor were a convicted felon named Edwin Edwards and David Duke. There were campaign signs that said, "vote for the crook. It's important." Edwins won, but it was only because the other guy was literally a Nazi. It says something about Louisiana that Wizard of the Klan could get the Republican nomination for Governor. Racism is open and casual there. A lot of my relatives use the N word like water. They love Trump now, of course,
                SippyGurl
                December 5, 2018, 7:41 am
                hubs isn't home so i can't be certain, but he claims - and wishes - that edwards would still win if he ran today. kdozer, i bet hubs knows your people lol, he knows everyone.
                DrCryptell
                September 12, 2019, 1:43 am
                How do you figure the point spread on an indictment bet?
                Synonymous
                May 25, 2020, 12:55 am
                All I can say is WOW! What a comment thread. We really like New Orleans as tourist only.

Comment

• "Life is not advancement. It is growth. It does not move upward, but expands outward, in all directions." — Russell G. Alexander

opallady
                  August 1, 2015, 8:44 am
                  Yes, but a gentleman wouldn't mention it.

badbob
                  July 3, 2016, 10:38 pm
                  he is talking about my waistline

Baylor Bears
                  June 16, 2020, 4:30 am
                  badbob, reread opallady's comment.

Comment

• "Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye."
                    — H. Jackson Brown Jr.

universalmom
                    April 18, 2012, 7:50 pm
                    Yup, that's why my husband calls me beautiful
                    montyb
                    July 6, 2012, 12:28 pm
                    And my wife calls me handsome.
                    wvwoman
                    April 21, 2013, 11:40 pm
                    and bless them, for seeing all the "beautiful" in you---that's the wonderful thing about love, eh?!
                    montyb
                    November 2, 2013, 9:13 am
                    You betcha, wvwoman.
                    munchlet
                    June 9, 2017, 5:30 am
                    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; What is essential is invisible to the eye." Antoine de Saint-Exupery
                    susanith
                    June 29, 2017, 10:38 am
                    Unfortunately, the eye usually wins out over the heart.
                    blueladyblue
                    February 5, 2018, 9:19 am
                    Love is blind for the first five to seven years, then suddenly the fog is lifted. Hopefully, you still love what you see.
                    LLapp
                    April 19, 2019, 6:43 am
                    universalmom and I have met a couple of times (she lives not far from me), and I'm here to tell you that she really is quite beautiful.
                    writeon
                    June 23, 2020, 3:30 am
                    LLapp, That's a lovely and vulnerable thing to share with your puzzling family (I mean that in a good way!) Apparently, your heart has 20/20 vision.

Comment

• "As the arteries grow hard, the heart grows soft. "
                      — H.L. Mencken

Barnabas
                      August 26, 2015, 12:49 pm
                      I walked into a nursing home one night (2 AM-ish), to respond to the death of a resident. Most of the occupants were sleeping as I came in with my stretcher. But one was up, and she was just hanging out with the nursing home staff in the main lobby. She was in a wheelchair, her head kind of hanging down, but she saw me, saw my stretcher, and turned to the nurse standing nearby and said, "Your ride is here."

Comment

• "My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it. "
                        — Mark Twain

GtrZan
                        September 1, 2016, 5:42 am
                        my wife texted me at work just last week... "Help! Heavy metal guitar in the basement, Hungarian Dance violin upstairs, and me in the middle!" with a frowny face. My reply, "sing it with me now, 'You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this ba-aack'" Her reply? "Yeah, I know"

Comment

• "Your real boss is the one who walks around under your hat. "
                          — Napoleon Hill

mikehallbackhoe
                          January 30, 2015, 7:30 am
                          the moral of the story is never lend anyone your hat

Comment

• "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of."
                            — Burt Bacharach

montyb
                            April 30, 2018, 3:18 am
                            Liquid precipitation keeps plummeting on my cranium.
                            kb83
                            January 18, 2021, 2:22 pm
                            What the terrestrial habitat requires contemporaneously is, endearment, honeyed endearment.
                            montyb
                            May 9, 2021, 8:35 am
                            A triad of visually-impaired rodents. A triad of visually-impaired rodents. Observe how they ambulate. Observe how they ambulate.

Comment

• "If you thought that science was certain - well, that is just an error on your part."
                              — Richard Feynman

pickleball
                              May 11, 2019, 3:24 pm
                              who amongst us had to cut up a frog in science
                              abra
                              September 15, 2019, 2:37 am
                              I did. I also had the really good looking, Harvard grad teacher, grab my hand and Make me touch the worm. I took Natural Science and Biology one. I will never have a speck of the love for science so many of you have. If I had gone on I probably would have blown up the Chemistry Lab.

Comment

• "'We must do something' is the unanimous refrain. 'You begin' is the deadening refrain." — Walter Dwight

LLapp
                                December 9, 2016, 9:54 am
                                Oooh, I tied the record.

imported_bees
                                August 10, 2020, 9:03 pm
                                Pot of boiling frogs, simmer for 4 years then throw out the stew.

jbb33054
                                August 21, 2020, 6:19 am

Roxanne
                                December 6, 2020, 8:47 pm
                                That's the quickie method if you are using pre-boiled frogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X