No announcement yet.

Classic Comments on the Quote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Religion points to that area of human experience where in one way or another man comes upon mystery as a summons to pilgrimage."
    — Frederick Buechner

montyb
    August 14, 2017, 2:01 am

Okay, I've only done 4 or 5 puzzles today, but three of them had the word "experience" in them -- thankfully.

montyb
    February 25, 2018, 12:42 pm

And if that isn't coincidence enough, this is my third puzzle in a row today that used the word "human".

badbob
    June 13, 2018, 4:45 am

montyb, it's all part of the human experience

Comment

• "Appeal. In law, to put the dice into the box for another throw." — Ambrose Bierce

abra
      May 8, 2013, 12:31 am
      BOX!!!

pj48
      January 15, 2015, 3:58 am
      Dice! I had dime!

LLapp
      March 20, 2015, 12:21 am
      mob sox BOX!

SwampySox
      June 3, 2016, 9:13 pm
      lice mice dice YAY

QuexUl
      June 23, 2016, 1:33 am
      Problem is, we were all raised reading Dr. Seuss...

BoggyBoots
      January 30, 2017, 4:38 pm
      Nope Dick, Jane, Sally, Spot & Puff.

skeeter
      July 19, 2017, 9:53 am
      Look, Sally, Look! See Skeeter's score. Ha, said Dick. Ha-ha, said Jane.

Comment

• "No normal man ever fell in love after thirty when the kidneys begin to disintegrate."
        — H.L. Mencken

skeeter
        February 5, 2018, 10:58 am
        There once was a writer named Mencken / Who sometimes wrote things that were stinkin'. / Quite often he's quoted / And many have noted / "Oh, what could this guy have been thinkin'?"

Comment

• "There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting."
          — Mark Twain

irisheyes
          April 18, 2014, 5:37 am
          My aunts wouldn't even realize the irony in this. Christmas dinner is so loud that some of us have started wearing earplugs.
          jval
          May 1, 2015, 4:48 pm
          Some people orate, some converse, some joyously interrupt each other constantly.
          NotTooOld
          February 11, 2017, 11:56 pm
          My dad once recorded Thanksgiving dinner for some reason. Only when we listened to the tape later did we hear my grandfather quietly telling a long story underneath everyone else's random, loud and overlapping talk.

Comment

• "It's never too late to have a happy childhood. "
            — Tom Robbins

marnita
            July 18, 2014, 8:53 am
            I hope he's right - I'm learning to ride a bike at age 71.
            LLapp
            November 15, 2014, 5:39 pm
            I just bought myself an adult tricycle for my 58th birthday. The little girl across the street dropped her mom's mail all over the sidewalk when she saw me fly by.

Comment

• "The coming together of two laudable movements - death with dignity and cost containment - concerns me. Patients have a right to die. But do they have a duty to die?"
              — Mark Siegler

maradnu
              December 28, 2010, 9:56 pm
              Why don't you ask the insurance companies that do all in their power to limit their expenses - patients be damned
              pootie49
              May 31, 2011, 2:55 pm
              its incredibly hard to die with dignity. i can attest to that first hand right now. you have to fight for every last ounce of it. the health care system wants to put you in a hospital and refer to you as the ovarian cancer in bed three...I prefer to be known as Donna. I choose to die with dignity. At home. With loved ones. Is it a duty? I believe thats a personal choice. In my case, yes. My duty is die the way I lived...not having choices made for me. Not being a bed number but a human being.
              puzzleme
              August 30, 2012, 11:59 pm
              pootie - Donna - you have much dignity here. I send you my humble good wishes.
              fishbum
              September 9, 2012, 6:00 pm
              Here, here.
              saipanwriter
              September 21, 2012, 11:20 am
              wishing you well, pootie.
              abra
              July 7, 2013, 6:06 am
              Donna had so much dignity so much grace against such a horrible disease. Miss you Pootie.
              wvwoman
              January 30, 2014, 5:08 pm
              this is the first time i've seen this comment from pootie--bless her heart. and bless her soul for eternity.
              LLapp
              January 31, 2015, 1:27 pm
              I found this site quite a while after Donna died, but I have come to know her a bit through her comments. There was one about the joy and peace of having a true loving partner in life that brought tears to my eyes, as does this thread.
              Lily H
              August 13, 2015, 6:03 pm
              Donna, you were a such very good friend to me, and I miss you so much. The site is not the same without your humour. (That's how she would have spelled it.) RIP dear lady.
              jimdgar
              July 15, 2016, 11:07 am
              Donna was such a big part of this board and her wit and charm always livened things up. I miss her.
              Persephone59
              April 16, 2017, 9:21 pm
              I have read little snippets from Pootie, too, and I knew she passed away, but what she wrote here truly brought tears to my eyes. I hope she passed peacefully at home.
              oddcouple
              December 7, 2019, 5:54 pm
              Wow! Just read Pootie's post and all I can say is Wpw!
              CarpeLanam
              October 26, 2020, 12:53 pm
              Aw, Pootie! We miss you!

Comment

• "What progress we are making. In the Middle Ages they would have burned me. Now they are content with burning my books. "
                — Sigmund Freud

montyb
                January 6, 2014, 10:04 am
                Nevertheless, the carbon footprint of either process is pretty high.
                Quizzical
                June 19, 2014, 4:19 pm
                I guess in the Middle Ages he would have been an actual carbon footprint.

Comment

• "If your head is wax, don't walk in the sun." — Benjamin Franklin

montyb
                  April 22, 2012, 9:36 pm
                  What if your head is waxed?

bansaisequoia
                  April 30, 2012, 11:43 am
                  What if your head is whack?

montyb
                  June 15, 2012, 2:18 pm
                  Or if you're a duck and your head is quack?

Comment

• "Such as are your habitual thoughts, such also will be the character of your mind - for the soul is dyed by the thoughts."
                    — Marcus Aurelius

Annamariah
                    August 30, 2015, 7:34 am
                    This is my one of my father's favourite quotes. My older brother was named Markus after Marcus Aurelius, and he in turn named his daughter Aurelia.

Comment

• "The land of my fathers? My fathers can have it." — Dylan Thomas

badbob
                      December 23, 2019, 8:03 am
                      maybe he was having a bad day. which, in Welsh, is spelled fffyydllllich

Fudi
                      October 19, 2020, 11:54 pm
                      My father's bank was nice enough. They gave out lollipops.

Comment

• "In this time of the Internet and nonfiction, to be on an actual bookshelf in an actual bookstore is exciting in itself."
                        — Chris Abani

Roxanne
                        October 13, 2018, 12:50 am
                        More like scary at first. Gently swaying back and forth, wondering if the bolts that hold it to the wall are secure. Then the manager calls the cops and it gets really exciting.

Comment

• "Fire and gunpowder do not sleep together."
                          — Proverb

locodad
                          November 4, 2013, 1:34 am
                          funny

bansaisequoia
                          October 8, 2014, 1:01 pm
                          I heard fire banged gunpowder.

universalmom
                          March 31, 2015, 3:33 am
                          Hahaha bansai

maradnu
                          January 17, 2018, 5:28 am
                          Not quietly, anyhow
                          "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

• Pure silliness . . .

"Peace cannot be kept by force. That can only be achieved by understanding." — Albert Einstein

jason jiujitsu
                            June 6, 2016, 1:53 am
                            Ghundi had an understanding.

maradnu
                            June 29, 2016, 9:13 am
                            Ghundi?

skeeter
                            April 19, 2017, 5:02 pm
                            Gandhi's younger brother perhaps.

blueladyblue
                            January 31, 2018, 1:26 pm
                            There's "peace," and then there's PEACE! Ghundi would understand.

spacecoyote1966
                            June 7, 2018, 8:55 am
                            Ghundi was the violent one in the family.

SippyGurl
                            July 29, 2018, 2:28 pm
                            solemn one ghundi born on a lundi

Redforce
                            October 12, 2018, 2:28 am
                            Superman never made any money Saving the world from Solemn One Ghundi

Comment

• "Computers make it easier to do a lot of things, but most of the things they make it easier to do don't need to be done."
                              — Andrew A. Rooney

LLapp
                              May 5, 2021, 12:45 am
                              My mother was terrified of the first computer my father bought in the late 1980s. Once I was using it in their den while she stood at the door but refused to enter; when I offered to show her what I was doing, she went pale and backed away. Weeks later, she met me at my office for lunch and I caught her off guard: I showed her the document still on my screen. "Look," I said, "let's say I really like this paragraph, but I realized it has to come later in the story. Normally, on paper, you would circle it and draw an arrow to where it should go, right?" She nodded. Then I showed her how I could cut it and paste it anywhere else in the article, right on the screen. Her eyes widened to see the deleted text reappear in a new spot. "Or," I added, "I could even paste it down here at the end, in case I don't know where to put it yet. Then I can figure it out later." Her jaw dropped, like someone had given her the gift of her dreams. She went home that day and got right on the computer, and soon she was writing a book.
                              Eureka
                              July 20, 2021, 7:42 pm
                              ^Wow! Great story, LLapp.
                              LLapp
                              October 22, 2021, 5:32 am
                              Oh I like that memory. The book she wrote was a two-volume program for teaching children to play classical guitar. In 2012, her younger teaching colleagues showed up at her funeral to tell us how important that work was, and that "we all use her books -- all of us." Until they spoke that day, I had no idea that her work was so valued by her peers.

Comment

• "Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. "
                                — Wayne Dyer

Annamariah
                                October 4, 2016, 12:48 am
                                If it's not promised to anyone else yet... DIBS!

SippyGurl
                                December 16, 2016, 1:38 pm
                                rip dr d

abra
                                February 16, 2017, 12:47 pm
                                LOL, Annamarriah.
                                "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X